Injury Report: Matt Murray is day-to-day - Head Injury

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Murray's just a mixed bag. When healthy he can be good and we've seen that. But he's not healthy very often.

There was that run early in the year. But in the end he's settled to "not great" stats and hasn't looked good (or healthy) for a while now.

It was a worthwhile gamble. Since you just never know. He might have been able to put things together and with a good medical staff behind him...maybe stay healthy. It didn't work out. And they'll certainly have to move him in the offseason to free up space to sign Samsonov and get Woll his spot. But that's how it goes.

Reactions: Mr_Fun

horner

May 22, 2007
Hope Murray realizes that his body is broken down a LTIR for next season.
I wouldn't think any team would offer him a contract after next season , so his career is done

Trade
1 million retention+ 4 th rd pk
or
Buyout

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
He'll be 29 years old next month :laugh:

At this point though he's backup calibre .. veteran experience. Cant be relied on to carry the load and his health issues will be a flag.

Hopefully he's not too costly to move in the off-season.

I know. Still lots of time and resources to come up with a second career though.

Im not even sure he can handle a backup role anymore though. Your backup has to be somewhat reliably healthy.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I wouldn't think any team would offer him a contract after next season , so his career is done

Trade
or
Buyout
OR Robidas island

Reactions: horner

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
So this would be at least his 3rd concussion?
I feel for him because I don't think his body is up to the taks. Shades of Muzzin

October: Abductor

Scheduled to start against the Ottawa Senators at home, Murray left the morning skate in discomfort. The club announced that the goalie would be out for at least four weeks due to an abductor injury.

March: Neck

Then with the Senators, Murray was ruled out of the season with a neck/head injury after a crease collision with teammate Nikita Zaitsev. He later confirmed he was suffering from post-concussion syndrome.

February: Undisclosed

Murray left with just under 10 minutes during a 5-2 loss to the St. Louis Blues after Oskar Sundqvist fell on him.
Finally set to make his return, Matt Murray, along with the entire Maple Leafs fanbase, is hoping this list won't have to be updated any time soon. (Photo via USA TODAY Sports)

Finally set to make his return, Matt Murray, along with the entire Maple Leafs fanbase, is hoping this list won't have to be updated any time soon. (Photo via USA TODAY Sports)

November: COVID-19

Murray was added to the Senators’ COVID-19 protocol list. He was later demoted to regain his game with the Belleville Senators, Ottawa’s AHL affiliate.

October: Head

Murray was forced to leave in the second period against the visiting New York Rangers after getting kneed in the head by Chris Kreider. He was injured as Kreider crowded the crease and scored a goal.

October: Illness

Murray missed the first week of the campaign due to a non-Covid illness.

April: Lower body

He suffered a lower-body injury during the Senators’ 4-2 loss to the Canucks after stretching out to stop Vancouver forward Jake Virtanen on a rebound.

February: Upper body

Murray collided with Zaitsev in the second period of a 5-1 loss to the Winnipeg Jets.

Playing for the Pittsburgh Penguins, Murray missed practice due to an upper-body injury. Pittsburgh coach Mike Sullivan said Murray was evaluated and described the goalie as “day-to-day.”

November: Lower body

Sullivan told reporters that Murray would be sidelined “longer-term” and had been dealing with a lower-body injury for two weeks.

October: Concussion

Murray was sidelined with a concussion suffered during practice.

February: Concussion

During practice, Murray took a puck to the head on a shot by defenseman Olli Maatta. He was evaluated, diagnosed with a concussion and was out for almost a month.

January: Personal reasons

Coach Sullivan informed the press that Murray had returned home to Ontario for “personal reasons.” The goalie returned to practice but then took an indefinite leave after the passing of his father. Murray returned to practice within a week.

December: Upper body

Murray suffered an upper-body injury in a game against the Columbus Blue Jackets. He was examined and pulled from the following contest.

He collided with Philadelphia Flyers forward Jakub Voracek and had to be helped off the ice. Murray missed six games due to a lower-body injury.
“He’s only going to get stronger, he’s only going to get more durable with each game that he plays, and I think he’ll be fine,” said coach Sullivan as Murray was declared week-to-week.

Murray got injured while stopping pucks during the warm-ups for Game 1 of their first-round series versus the Columbus Blue Jackets. He returned after missing 11 games and helped the Penguins win their second straight Stanley Cup.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

Trade
or
Buyout

I am not Ruling him out for the playoffs just yet. He has shone in big moments in the past coming off the bench.

No confidence in him doing it for any long stretch. But OF he is healthy it’s not impossible

If he can’t…… and is looking at a buyout.

He would lose 2.6 million buy not agreeing to go LTIR.
If he thinks a team would pay him 1.5 after a buyout maybe it’s worth it to force it? If not maybe sit on the shelf for a year

Reactions: horner and ToneDog

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Not many goaltending coaches in this thread.
Murray has 3 problems:

1) he can’t stay healthy and has chronic ailments limiting his usage
2) his glove had is weak
3) his side to side lateral movement is poor

Technically Murray does a good job with his net positioning, angles, blocker saves, rebound control, five hole etc. but the reason why his numbers dipped in the nhl after a couple of seasons is that teams began to exploit his weaknesses. Unfortunately for Murray maybe because of injury he really hasn’t been able to work on those areas of his game that are so often exploited.

At this point Joseph Woll is simply the more athletic and better goaltender. Really the first NHL goalie developed by the leafs since James Reimer. However in this case I think Woll has a future as a starter. He’s worked hard and made himself better every year for 6 straight seasons since he was drafted.

Murray will get bought out or LTIR next season and Woll will be the backup to Samsonov. That’s a great tandem.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Even if you want to say he can be good (he's not, but I'll pretend for now), why is a GM of a contender taking him on as a salary dump when he's only "good" for 15 games a year?

why would he need to be traded to a contender? more likely a rebuild team takes a flyer on him to see if he can somehow stay healthy

Edit: also just want to point out it's not like Woll has a great history of being healthy ether in the past 2-3 season's hopefully he's through that now.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
why would he need to be traded to a contender? more likely a rebuild team takes a flyer on him to see if he can somehow stay healthy

Edit: also just want to point out it's not like Woll has a great history of being healthy ether in the past 2-3 season's hopefully he's through that now.
I was referring to dubas trading for him last summer

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Perhaps one day we could compare Murray to Lupul.

Lupul was another often injured player that played well whenever he was in the line-up, but rarely in the line-up.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
I was referring to dubas trading for him last summer

why wouldn't we have taken a chance on him? if you go back to November/December everyone thought the trade was a good move, some felt we should have got a better pick with Murray but was happy we made it. he then injured his ankle and it affected his play till it got worst to the point he couldn't play and had to sit. they brought Murray in to platoon with Samsonov, not to be an everyday starter. they did this while acquiring 2 picks one of which we used to trade for O'Reilly. Goalie's are notorious for not being consistent. and also Ottawa's defense is a tire fire and he would face alot more difficult usage. so giving him a chance to play less games in a row due to platoon plus easier shots against perhaps that could have helped with his injuries. but it didn't. I still today have no problem with the chance they took, it didn't work out this season. and I believe a team will be willing to take a chance on him with only 1 year left.

Reactions: Tarmore

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
why wouldn't we have taken a chance on him? if you go back to November/December everyone thought the trade was a good move, some felt we should have got a better pick with Murray but was happy we made it. he then injured his ankle and it affected his play till it got worst to the point he couldn't play and had to sit. they brought Murray in to platoon with Samsonov, not to be an everyday starter. they did this while acquiring 2 picks one of which we used to trade for O'Reilly. Goalie's are notorious for not being consistent. and also Ottawa's defense is a tire fire and he would face alot more difficult usage. so giving him a chance to play less games in a row due to platoon plus easier shots against perhaps that could have helped with his injuries. but it didn't. I still today have no problem with the chance they took, it didn't work out this season. and I believe a team will be willing to take a chance on him with only 1 year left.
Often injured, hasn't been good since we'll before Pittsburgh dumped him, overpaid. Anyone could see it was a terrible trade the moment it happened.

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
I feel for him because I don't think his body is up to the taks. Shades of Muzzin

Scheduled to start against the Ottawa Senators at home, Murray left the morning skate in discomfort. The club announced that the goalie would be out for at least four weeks due to an abductor injury.

Then with the Senators, Murray was ruled out of the season with a neck/head injury after a crease collision with teammate Nikita Zaitsev. He later confirmed he was suffering from post-concussion syndrome.

Murray left with just under 10 minutes during a 5-2 loss to the St. Louis Blues after Oskar Sundqvist fell on him.

Murray was added to the Senators’ COVID-19 protocol list. He was later demoted to regain his game with the Belleville Senators, Ottawa’s AHL affiliate.

Murray was forced to leave in the second period against the visiting New York Rangers after getting kneed in the head by Chris Kreider. He was injured as Kreider crowded the crease and scored a goal.

He suffered a lower-body injury during the Senators’ 4-2 loss to the Canucks after stretching out to stop Vancouver forward Jake Virtanen on a rebound.

Murray collided with Zaitsev in the second period of a 5-1 loss to the Winnipeg Jets.

Playing for the Pittsburgh Penguins, Murray missed practice due to an upper-body injury. Pittsburgh coach Mike Sullivan said Murray was evaluated and described the goalie as “day-to-day.”

Sullivan told reporters that Murray would be sidelined “longer-term” and had been dealing with a lower-body injury for two weeks.

During practice, Murray took a puck to the head on a shot by defenseman Olli Maatta. He was evaluated, diagnosed with a concussion and was out for almost a month.

Coach Sullivan informed the press that Murray had returned home to Ontario for “personal reasons.” The goalie returned to practice but then took an indefinite leave after the passing of his father. Murray returned to practice within a week.

Murray suffered an upper-body injury in a game against the Columbus Blue Jackets. He was examined and pulled from the following contest.

He collided with Philadelphia Flyers forward Jakub Voracek and had to be helped off the ice. Murray missed six games due to a lower-body injury.
“He’s only going to get stronger, he’s only going to get more durable with each game that he plays, and I think he’ll be fine,” said coach Sullivan as Murray was declared week-to-week.

Murray got injured while stopping pucks during the warm-ups for Game 1 of their first-round series versus the Columbus Blue Jackets. He returned after missing 11 games and helped the Penguins win their second straight Stanley Cup.

Covid 19 counts as an injury? That's a little odd. Quite the list though, regardless.

Reactions: saltming

kb

Aug 28, 2009

Unfortunately Woll's and Samsonov's history is very similar.

• Wow
Reactions: saltming

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
Murray has had a few stretches where he was lights out for sure, but overall, he has really struggled. Even Keefe has kind of alluded to this. Injuries have likely played a part, but so have some noticeable deficiencies in his game.

Considering where we were at and what was available, I didn't hate this move at the time. But let's face it; he's just not even in the vicinity of reliable anymore and it's time to cut losses and move on.

TBH, it scares the fark out of me that this guy could claim he's healthy and somehow get back on the playoff roster. I don't want to burn a game or two with him in net, only to find out his head is still in the land of sugar plums and fairies coming off a concussion.

Reactions: fahad203

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Often injured, hasn't been good since we'll before Pittsburgh dumped him, overpaid. Anyone could see it was a terrible trade the moment it happened.

your looking at his entire stats again when healthy like early in the season he has been good(920% on December 31st) I don't see that being deniable and can be a good goalie when healthy, plus we got extra assets, who knows without making the Murray deal we might not have had the picks to get O'Rielly, or McCabe. especially if we traded picks for someone with value, who probably had no higher chance of being better.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
your looking at his entire stats again when healthy like early in the season he has been good(920% on December 31st) I don't see that being deniable and can be a good goalie when healthy, plus we got extra assets, who knows without making the Murray deal we might not have had the picks to get O'Rielly, or McCabe. especially if we traded picks for someone with value, who probably had no higher chance of being better.

Those numbers early November and December was also very good for Campbell

He has shown flashes of being good but his overall game injury or not just not good enough

He has given 4 or more goals 10+ games. Considering his limited games that's like 50% of starts

Totally unacceptable even for a backup

Reactions: JKG33

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Those numbers early November and December was also very good for Campbell

He has shown flashes of being good but his overall game injury or not just not good enough

He has given 4 or more goals 10+ games. Considering his limited games that's like 50% of starts

Totally unacceptable even for a backup

I don't see how you can say injury or not. do you think players can be at there best while playing through injury? this year it was clear an Ankle injury affected his play after a strong start to the year. saying Murray is not a good goalie because he tried to play through injury to me is disingenuous, he can be a good goalie who just can't stay healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad