Injury Report: Matt Murray is day-to-day - Head Injury

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Why buyout? Seems like a huge waste.

For Ottawa. Injuries were expected, but when healthy he has been lights out.

When healthy. Health is the only question mark with Murray - not performance.

Health for a starter is one of the biggest factors in his value to a team. If you cant rely on your starter, what value does he have to the team? It not like his injuries are a one of, he gets injured comes back, plays poorly, gets injured again , comes back plays poorly, so on and so on and so on.

For goalies with 10 or more games played, he is 38th in SV%, 41st in GAA, 48th for TOI, 49th for GP. 5th highest cap hit at $6.25 mil. He has not been lights out, that is your bias, that is not reality, the stats show that he has had a horrid year.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Health for a starter is one of the biggest factors in his value to a team. If you cant rely on your starter, what value does he have to the team? It not like his injuries are a one of, he gets injured comes back, plays poorly, gets injured again , comes back plays poorly, so on and so on and so on.

For goalies with 10 or more games played, he is 38th in SV%, 41st in GAA, 48th for TOI, 49th for GP. 5th highest cap hit at $6.25 mil. He has not been lights out, that is your bias, that is not reality, the stats show that he has had a horrid year.

"when healthy" was missed?

He played a fair amount while nursing injuries, which anyone would understand contributed negatively to his counting stats, yes.

It was a good move no matter what. And no, they won't have to buy him out or spend assets to move him.

Reactions: Menzinger

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
"when healthy" was missed?

He played a fair amount while nursing injuries, which anyone with cognition would understand contributed negatively to his counting stats, yes.

It was a good move no matter what. And no, they won't have to buy him out or spend assets to move him.

I didn't miss it, I specifically said health is a significant factor in evaluating his performance. He has the 5th highest cap hit but played at back up level.

It's not like his injury frequency is a new thing, its been 3 years of not being able to rely on this guy. If you want to say that he sucked performance wise because his injuries, peace but you originally said that:

He was healthy for what 2 games in Nov because that is the only time he's had a stretch of games where he was lights out.

Go to that link, I cant find more than 2 games in a row where he was lights out.

He's been grossly inconsistent and frequently injured and unavailable, that my friend is the classic definition of a dumpster fire.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020

Ummmm he was sat for 5 games in favour of Sammy because his last number of games he was very bad. They finally give him a game and he doesn’t even finish the tre game warm up. The guy is done in the NHL

Matt Murray is as bad as the Mrazek deal. When we have to go to the collage‘s or the OHL to put a warm body on the bench because this guy is sucking up so much cap space and rarely available, that’s a problem

Reactions: Mr_Fun

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Murray hasnt looked happy since day 1. His body language suggests he doesnt want to be here. If the Leafs retain 50% some of his cap space 4.7, turns into 2.35 million cap hit , they can trade him id imagine.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Murray's cap hit for us is 4.7m. I'm not sure why it would be relevant what Ottawa is paying.
Because the "clique" needs to resort to lying and/or distorting the truth to make their narratives work?

Basically we are down to this because most of the ammo has been taken away.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Murray hasnt looked happy since day 1. His body language suggests he doesnt want to be here. If the Leafs retain 50% some of his cap space 4.7, turns into 2.35 million cap hit , they can trade him id imagine.
There is absolutely no reason to retain anything on a trade of Murray in the summer, nor have to add a sweetener to move him, unless the Leafs are willing to retain to acquire more picks at the Draft this summer.

Murray's play this season showed that if he can stay healthy, he can play net. We just can't afford to wait for him, as we need to re-sign RFA Samsonov, who has proven he will be our #1 goalie.

There will be plenty of teams this off-season who would have an interest in Murray, with a situation different than ours.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
There is absolutely no reason to retain anything on a trade of Murray in the summer, nor have to add a sweetener to move him, unless the Leafs are willing to retain to acquire more picks at the Draft this summer.

Murray's play this season showed that if he can stay healthy, he can play net. We just can't afford to wait for him, as we need to re-sign RFA Samsonov, who has proven he will be our #1 goalie.

There will be plenty of teams this off-season who would have an interest in Murray, with a situation different than ours.
Wouldn’t he have to accept a trade to these teams that would have interest?
IMO they’ll have to pay to move him

Reactions: LeafalCrusader

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
He has a 10 team no-trade clause as it stands.

I don't see any reason for things to be acrimonious with him. He's been treated well here and Dubas has kept his word at every step of the way.

The reality is he was given an opportunity to be the #1 goalie and he didn't, partly due to health reasons.

If screws need to be applied here and tightened, if Murray really believes he can and still wants to play, I don't know how him staying here and being relegated to back-up goalie works in his favor, particularly considering he would be a UFA at the end of next season.

If he really wants and thinks he can play, he's better off to accept a trade, show that he's still a viable #1, and hope to get paid like one as a UFA. He simply won't get that chance here because Samsonov has him beaten, and Woll will be our back-up.

If Murray doesn't want to play and end his career, I'm sure the Leafs will work with him in a positive way.

Worst case scenario and he wants to be a complete d!ck-head (I've not read anything that indicates that he is), he can be bought out as I've said previously, at a very reasonable price.

Leafs have a lot of leverage and options here, and it starts with we have treated him well from day 1. If he's a good guy he recognizes it, if he's a d!ick, then we don't have to still be nice.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Well, at least Woll has been playing pretty good so not big loss. Rather go with him and think Murray is done.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
While that is a possibility, Dubas moved Ritchie in a hockey trade and many speculated it would cost to get rid of Ritchie.
Only time will tell

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He has a 10 team no-trade clause as it stands.

I don't see any reason for things to be acrimonious with him. He's been treated well here and Dubas has kept his word at every step of the way.

The reality is he was given an opportunity to be the #1 goalie and he didn't, partly due to health reasons.

If screws need to be applied here and tightened, if Murray really believes he can and still wants to play, I don't know how him staying here and being relegated to back-up goalie works in his favor, particularly considering he would be a UFA at the end of next season.

If he really wants and thinks he can play, he's better off to accept a trade, show that he's still a viable #1, and hope to get paid like one as a UFA. He simply won't get that chance here because Samsonov has him beaten, and Woll will be our back-up.

If Murray doesn't want to play and end his career, I'm sure the Leafs will work with him in a positive way.

Worst case scenario and he wants to be a complete d!ck-head (I've not read anything that indicates that he is), he can be bought out as I've said previously, at a very reasonable price.

Leafs have a lot of leverage and options here, and it starts with we have treated him well from day 1. If he's a good guy he recognizes it, if he's a d!ick, then we don't have to still be nice.
You lost me at the acrimonious and being a dick part. Following the terms of a contract isn’t any of those things.
I’m not a fan of buyouts, that’s a no bueno from me.

While that is a possibility, Dubas moved Ritchie in a hockey trade and many speculated it would cost to get rid of Ritchie.
Only time will tell
I don’t believe he has any trade conditions though. That’s a huge difference

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
If he is healthy (yes, a very big if), he is a very expensive but adequate back up at worst. If he is injured, he goes on LTIR. And Woll is an inexpensive backup to Samsonov. If the Leafs keep him, he will cost a lot of real dollars, which the Leafs have. But the cap situation and the on ice situation aren’t worse than this year. Does that make it worthwhile to buy him out. Or to pay someone to take his contract? I don’t know. We’ll see.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
You lost me at the acrimonious and being a dick part. Following the terms of a contract isn’t any of those things.

Fair point hit I still think tha leaves us more ⅔ of the league to deal him too

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto

I don't think it comes to anything acrimonious. It's not Dubas' style and nothing about Murray say's he's that way either. It's just me looking at the worst case scenario, which I find you always have to be prepared for.

Honoring a contract is a given. I'm just saying that Murray will be able to read the tea leaves here on what potential role he would have if he stayed in Toronto, and figure out if that's what he wants for himself while being a UFA the following season.

......... and it's only 10 teams, that doesn't prevent him being moved to the rest of the league. I just think that Murray himself would revisit that list if a team on it represents a strong opportunity to be a #1 and a potential long-term re-signing opportunity. His health situation clearly has changed since he signed that contract, and what he values moving forward can be very different than when he signed it.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Because the "clique" needs to resort to lying and/or distorting the truth to make their narratives work?

Basically we are down to this because most of the ammo has been taken away

Sure looks like 5th at $6.25M using the according to the salary "bible". But yea, dude was lying........:laugh:

Sep 18, 2009

He is good when he cheats and knocks the net off

• Haha
Reactions: Larcos_Unal

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Murray's cap hit, retained or not, becomes a real problem when we go to resign Samsonov while trying to keep the rest of the lineup competitive.
Any amount of money attributed to a complete band-aid who may or may not want to play is an anchor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad