Injury Report: Matt Murray is day-to-day - Head Injury

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
Why buyout? Seems like a huge waste.

For Ottawa. Injuries were expected, but when healthy he has been lights out.

When healthy. Health is the only question mark with Murray - not performance.
He sits 35th in GAA and T-31st in SV% of goalies who have played a minimum of 20 games this season. Yup, lights out.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He sits 35th in GAA and T-31st in SV% of goalies who have played a minimum of 20 games this season. Yup, lights out.

He started off on fire and really good. He fell off badly after that big injury and he's been struggling since.

I'd be very surprised if he's back next year. I don't think it'll be a buy out necessarily since there are plenty of teams that would take a 1 year flyer for cheap. A rebuilding team with a ton of cap space would probably like him enough. The only issue is his NTC and his salary will be 8M, which are 2 big barriers. The buyout would give the Leafs a 2M of dead cap space in 2024-2025, which is pretty significant.

Dubas has been good at getting rid of questionable contracts so I think he'll figure it out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Menzinger

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
He started off on fire and really good. He fell off badly after that big injury and he's been struggling since.

I'd be very surprised if he's back next year. I don't think it'll be a buy out necessarily since there are plenty of teams that would take a 1 year flyer for cheap. A rebuilding team with a ton of cap space would probably like him enough. The only issue is his NTC and his salary will be 8M.
October (1gp) 0 wins & 1 loss. 3.01 GA, 903 SV%.
November (6gp) 5 wins & 1 loss. 2.17 GA, 938 SV%.
December (7gp) 4 wins, 2 loss, 1 OTL. 2.44 GA, 911 SV%.
January (5gp) 2 wins, 2 loss, 1 no decision. 3.69 GA, 883 SV%.
March (6gp) 3 wins & 3 loss. 3.68GA, 886 SV%.
April (1gp) 0 wins & 1 loss. 7.38 GA, 714 SV%.

His numbers in November and December were very good (a total of 13gp) but outside of that he was often injured (unavailable) and utterly terrible when he did play (remaining 13gp). His cap hit has done much more worse for this team throughout the season than his good 13 game run in Nov & Dec.

This trade was an absolute disaster for a cap strapped team that has needed tip toe around the cap every day of the season.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
October (1gp) 0 wins & 1 loss. 3.01 GA, 903 SV%.
November (6gp) 5 wins & 1 loss. 2.17 GA, 938 SV%.
December (7gp) 4 wins, 2 loss, 1 OTL. 2.44 GA, 911 SV%.
January (5gp) 2 wins, 2 loss, 1 no decision. 3.69 GA, 883 SV%.
March (6gp) 3 wins & 3 loss. 3.68GA, 886 SV%.
April (1gp) 0 wins & 1 loss. 7.38 GA, 714 SV%.

His numbers in November and December were very good (a total of 13gp) but outside of that he was often injured (unavailable) and utterly terrible when he did play (remaining 13gp). His cap hit has done much more worse for this team throughout the season than his good 13 game run in Nov & Dec.

This trade was an absolute disaster for a cap strapped team that has needed tip toe around the cap every day of the season.

Very much Campbell levels of performance. Fantastic 3 months to start the season, then just a huge dip that he couldn't recover from.

Captain34

Sep 18, 2019
Even if Murray had decent numbers, which he doesn't, and even if Murray was a good goalie, which he isn't anymore (he has some real exploitable weaknesses, such as his glove hand, lateral mobility etc.), he is just so injury prone that he is simply unreliable. You cannot count on him to stay healthy, play many games consecutively etc.

I agree with some of the posters that he should not play another game for the Leafs. Go on LTIR, collect a hefty pay cheque and enjoy life.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Not a trade I liked or wanted either.

Dubas absolutely needed to come away from this deal with better than he did. Starting at 50% retention and 1st rounder should have been the minimum.

25%, a 3rd and a 7th for "future considerations" wasn't what I felt good enough then, and considering where we are now with him and what may or may not have to happen this summer to move on from him, isn't looking much better.

At least Dubas is batting .500 with Samsonov, which is looking like a home run, and Woll is a very nice surprise that provides the stability to move on from Murray.

Last edited:
Reactions: ACC1224

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

Dubas absolutely needed to come away from this deal with better than he did. Starting at 50% retention and 1st rounder should have been the minimum.

25%, a 3rd and a 7th for "future considerations" wasn't what I felt good enough then, and considering where we are now with him and what may or may hot have to happen this summer to move on from him, isn't looking much better.

At least Dubas is batting .500 with Samsonov, which is looking like a home run, and Woll is a very nice surprise that provides the stability to move on from Murray.
Dubas getting Samsonov is the only reason I can accept maybe giving him a pass for the bad Murray trade.

He found a capable starter at the end of the day.

Reactions: Petrus and fahad203

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Much like with Campbell and Mrazek the vibe around the player is too negative to bring back.
Unless Murray is an emergency fill in the playoffs and plays spectacularly we must say good bye and good riddens.

Too unpredictable and unreliable.
Sux to get injured but this guy was a walking/talking injury waiting to happen.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Much like with Campbell and Mrazek the vibe around the player is too negative to bring back.
Unless Murray is an emergency fill in the playoffs and plays spectacularly we must say good bye and good riddens.

Too unpredictable and unreliable.
Sux to get injured but this guy was a walking/talking injury waiting to happen.
Murray's contract still has one year left. Dubas must find a way to have him in the LTIR for the whole next year and give his money to Samsonov or another goalie.

Reactions: klmdg

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
Imagine Washington doesn’t release Sammy
Yes, got very lucky that we wasn't QO and that he was willing to sign with the Leafs as a prove it year. His durability is definitely a cause for concern when signing him this off-season (Leafs or another team) but there is no doubting that he has looked like the promising goalie the Caps thought they were going to get.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013

For Ottawa. Injuries were expected, but when healthy he has been lights out.

When healthy. Health is the only question mark with Murray - not performance.
You call having a GAA of over 3 this season “Lights out”?

Reactions: JKG33

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021

25%, a 3rd and a 7th for "future considerations" wasn't what I felt good enough then, and considering where we are now with him and what may or may not have to happen this summer to move on from him, isn't looking much better.

Yuppers. Wouldn't be surprised if we had to give up more than we got to dump only half the term we took on.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Personally, a buyout seems to make the most sense, capwise.

If Toronto buys out Murray, they take a cap hit of 687K in 23-24 and a cap hit of $2M in 24-25. And that's it.

If they trade him, they will likely need to take salary back which may not be a pieces or pieces that they want.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
people are talking about how terrible Murray was this year and sure his numbers January on don't look good, but I would guess he wasn't healthy and playing through injury. I also realize he can't stay healthy. but I would think at the beginning of the season when Healthy Murray played well. when he got injured in warmup before the Ottawa game in January the news articles said it was

"Murray was a late scratch from his scheduled start against Ottawa on Jan. 28 due to the injury flaring up during warmups."

that tells me he was trying to play through an injury which probably hurt his performance. so can Murray be a good goalie? if he's healthy I believe he can be a solid goalie, just can't stay healthy.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I think he goes to Robidas Island this summer to be honest.

He's set financially with Cup rings. It's time to move on.

He'll be 29 years old next month :laugh:

At this point though he's backup calibre .. veteran experience. Cant be relied on to carry the load and his health issues will be a flag.

Hopefully he's not too costly to move in the off-season.

Reactions: barilko05

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
people are talking about how terrible Murray was this year and sure his numbers January on don't look good, but I would guess he wasn't healthy and playing through injury. I also realize he can't stay healthy. but I would think at the beginning of the season when Healthy Murray played well. when he got injured in warmup before the Ottawa game in January the news articles said it was

"Murray was a late scratch from his scheduled start against Ottawa on Jan. 28 due to the injury flaring up during warmups."

that tells me he was trying to play through an injury which probably hurt his performance. so can Murray be a good goalie? if he's healthy I believe he can be a solid goalie, just can't stay healthy.
Even if you want to say he can be good (he's not, but I'll pretend for now), why is a GM of a contender taking him on as a salary dump when he's only "good" for 15 games a year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad