Injury Report: Matt Murray is day-to-day - Head Injury

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He’s only 28, he’ll likely want to keep playing.

He doesn’t really carry on like he wants to play that much. Seems like a guy dealing with physical ailments and psychological discomfort playing even when he’s “healthy.” The stars have to align perfectly for him to be serviceable.

At this point it would be best he was paid in full on that contract but also sidelined so his contract isn’t an issue for the team moving forward. Get rich. Get healthy. But don’t keep forcing it.

Reactions: ITM and Captain34

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Possible, but if it was clear that was the case they would have just put him on LTIR so they could call up Woll without needing an emergency cap exemption and also call up Zahorna so they don't have play a man short tonight.
No LTIR allowed last 10 games of a season I'm told

kb

Aug 28, 2009
The Leafs need to carry all 3 G's. Each of them is capable of winning games.

Murray is fragile, but he's got 2 cup rings as a starter. That experience will help no matter if he plays or not.

Reactions: ThrowDemTongs

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
For all his warts, I still like him and I think it really sucks he got hurt on such a freak play. But he's a player you can't rely on him and I think that was the prevailing opinion when the trade went down. I am fine to have a Samsonov-Woll tandem in the playoffs and going forward. It might have been nice to have someone with his experience for the playoffs just in case, but oh well. I wish Murray well with whatever is next for him, but I hope he's anywhere else next year

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
The deeper we go the more you need all the goaltenders available. Murray has been good and bad, injury prone, but if you run into an injury or slumps during deep playoff run, we might need him. Hope he recoups and is available as backup to the backup. He still has the ability to come in a stone a team.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
He’s only 28, he’ll likely want to keep playing.
Frank;y with his performance (he has been really struggling but he did have a strong start) and his injuries I honestly don't think another team will take a chance on him. But he does have 1yr remaining and if he is able to play next year he might be able to turn things around so another team offers him a prove me you can still play contract

Frankly this year has been so disastrous that if Toronto were to terminate (edit: I mean buyout) his contract it might actually end his career in the NHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Larcos_Unal

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I was critical when we traded for him, but I ended up loving Murray. I'd be totally happy if he gets healthy and is ready to play next season. Him and Samsonov can be a good tandem again, and the cap-expert management types can figure out the numbers.

Woll is NHL quality. So we'd have a great problem by having too many good goalies.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
It is a tremendously difficult thing to do to give up the thing you love to do. Denial sets in when it appears the decision is being made for you.

Still, if Murray has but one more victory in him and it sends us to Round 2, it'll all have been worth it. And really, to get to what looks like our most promising tandem in a long time, having stumbled through Sparks, Campbell and Murray has been worth it.

I think Dubas and Co. made a great acquisition in Samsonov, effectively reshaping our yield from the 2015 draft to include Marner (1/4) and Samsonov (1/22), for nothing but money.

Woll (3/62) from the 2016 draft looks to be the real deal. What a draft year that's turning out to be for us.

Reactions: Menzinger

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Well, he's been on the IR more than he has been available to play this season. The games are getting more important and he's nowhere to be found. If this is how it's going to be, then Murray kind of solved the goaltending issue going into the summer. He's headed to Robidas Island and we can now run Samsonov - Woll.

Reactions: fancy lad

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Frank;y with his performance (he has been really struggling but he did have a strong start) and his injuries I honestly don't think another team will take a chance on him. But he does have 1yr remaining and if he is able to play next year he might be able to turn things around so another team offers him a prove me you can still play contract

Frankly this year has been so disastrous that if Toronto were to terminate his contract it might actually end his career in the NHL.
Agree with what you said, however you can’t just terminate a contract.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
From a personal stand-point, I feel bad for him. He is still young and has a family. There is much more to his life than hockey, for much longer than his career that he has to consider.

He's financially set, and his name is on the Stanley Cup as a key contributor, not as some tag along.

Right now, his greatest value to us is his presence in the room and supporting our goalies Samsonov and Woll in the playoffs. He's been in their shoes, and can provide them with some insights that very few people in the world can. He's lived it, and he knows how it goes. That is incredibly valuable.

Moving forward, I think our goalies next year are Samsonov and Woll. Murray, if he can't be traded, should be bought-out. Very manageable buy-out cost of $687K next year, and $2M the next year, when the Cap is expected to rise significantly.

At this point, Murray needs to have a long conversation with his family and his medical support, and decide what is best for his quality of life.

From a Leaf standpoint, we tried, we supported, and it hasn't worked. We now have suitable options in net that work better for us, and we need to move on.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
It looks like Murray has one more year at 8M in salary on his current contract. I think they can convince him to go on LTIR permanently. Either he sits because they can't trade him at full pop or they buy him out and he loses the majority of that 8M. Which he won't be able to make up with a league minimum contract elsewhere.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
It looks like Murray has one more year at 8M in salary on his current contract. I think they can convince him to go on LTIR permanently. Either he sits because they can't trade him at full pop or they buy him out and he loses the majority of that 8M. Which he won't be able to make up with a league minimum contract elsewhere.
Magic Man indeed, I like this logic a lot

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
He’ll agree to go to Robidas island and make his $8 million next season sitting on a beach.

It’s quite obvious he doesn’t want to play hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad