Player Discussion: Matt Martin

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
I would be on board with him returning. I hope you guys are right, 1M one year. Cizikas only has 1 year remaining too. I did check The Rangers cap situation, they have 18M in capspace. If they are interested in Matt, and offer him more, I would not blame Matt for leaving. He's earned the payday these playoffs. If it came down to a bidding war with the Rangers, the Isles are outmanned there.
Even Matt would taint his legacy by going to the Rangers, no one is immune to that disease. I remember LaFontaine going there, at least Trottier just coached there.

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY

As often happens, they're probably all referencing the same "source" so take it for what its worth. Haven't seen anyone with a blue check mention anything yet.

A 1 yr deal, great. 2 yrs, if it lowered the AAV, ok. Please no more than that, as much as we all love Matt.

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
Put another way, Zeeker is signed for one more year, and Clutter for 2 more. I wouldn't go longer than that, and let the GFLIH ride off into the sunset together. 1 yr $2M, 2 yrs, $1.5M per, something like that would be my max. If they can even fit that under the cap.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Put another way, Zeeker is signed for one more year, and Clutter for 2 more. I wouldn't go longer than that, and let the GFLIH ride off into the sunset together. 1 yr $2M, 2 yrs, $1.5M per, something like that would be my max. If they can even fit that under the cap.
Too much money.

$1.25M per for two years is the maximum I'd do and I think I'd prefer $1M per (or lower). Can't justify any other price.

Reactions: MJF

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
I'm fine with 1.5 per for 2 seasons. Guy had a solid playoffs, is universally liked and is one of the only really physical wingers we have.

I don't think MM had any game resembling a stinker that Johnston had following up his good game (Philly series, maybe?)

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Too much money.

$1.25M per for two years is the maximum I'd do and I think I'd prefer $1M per (or lower). Can't justify any other price.
The problem is, even if we offer him the league minimum, we really don't have the roster spot for him. I guess if we don't sign ANY forwards, we could bring him back but we're trying to minimize the number of 13th/14th forwards we have on this team, not increase them. We need to get Wahlstrom in the lineup somehow (and hopefully Bellows if he decides he wants to be a player) and we have Komarov, Ross and MDC still under contract. I love Matty and if they bring him back, I'll cheer like hell for him, but I'm not sure it really makes sense. But I'll go with Lou on this one. If he brings him back, no real issue.

Reactions: Beacon Isles

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The problem is, even if we offer him the league minimum, we really don't have the roster spot for him. I guess if we don't sign ANY forwards, we could bring him back but we're trying to minimize the number of 13th/14th forwards we have on this team, not increase them. We need to get Wahlstrom in the lineup somehow (and hopefully Bellows if he decides he wants to be a player) and we have Komarov, Ross and MDC still under contract. I love Matty and if they bring him back, I'll cheer like hell for him, but I'm not sure it really makes sense. But I'll go with Lou on this one. If he brings him back, no real issue.

Like most moves, I have to see what else is done before I judge it. If we get away from Komarov, Ladd, and Boychuk then it changes things.

Reactions: Beacon Isles

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
The thing to keep in mind, like you guys said, we have 13 forwards under contract:

Barzal (RFA)
Lee
Eberle
Nelson
Beauvillier
Bailey
JPG
Dal Colle
Komorov
Johnson
Clutterbuck
Cizikas
Ladd

And that doesnt include Bellows, Wahlstrom, etc.

Do we really want/need another bottom 6 wing if we dont move anyone else out?

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
Love this....Marin is a true Islander, should only play for them and retire with them. sometime loyality is more important than the numbers. And I'm sure both sides are going to be reasonable with deal. Martin is a true team player.

Reactions: buud

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
I'm sure Lou has a plan to shed some salary. He's laying low but I'm sure he's working on a few options. He's not moving Toews without a plan to move a big salary or two....

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
The thing to keep in mind, like you guys said, we have 13 forwards under contract:

Barzal (RFA)
Lee
Eberle
Nelson
Beauvillier
Bailey
JPG
Dal Colle
Komorov
Johnson
Clutterbuck
Cizikas
Ladd

And that doesnt include Bellows, Wahlstrom, etc.

Do we really want/need another bottom 6 wing if we dont move anyone else out?

Yes, if his name is Matt Martin. We all know how much they have talked about the chemistry and camaraderie on this team, Martin is at the heart of it.

I assume Wahlstrom makes the team but MDC/Leo/Johnston/Ladd/Bellows, can all fight for the last 2 or 3 roster spots, assuming we haven't moved at least one of them. Competition is good. I am assuming that we will not pay more than $1.25-$1.5m for Martin, so the net impact to the cap would be one a few hundred thousand after sending down whoever doesnt cut it.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Love Matty Marts but we are already committed to an overabundance of 10-13 type forwards. He had a great playoffs but to pay him based off of that would be a mistake IMO. YES $1.0M isn't a ton of money but rather start working in the kids to lineup and let the guys who already have term be the 4L. Zeeker drives the line, I feel like the guys we are tied to can be successful, so long as Zeeker is playing.

If Lou feels he needs to reward Matty, he absolutely can't go longer than a year & in the million range. Cant ovecommit and overpay yet another aging bottom 3 forward

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
I tend to not believe Twitter rumors from folks that don't have the blue checks, but man, this thing has some legs. Now you have Staple in the Athletic talking about it being pretty much a done deal, just waiting on other moves. And its sounding like a 2 yr deal to try to keep the AAV down. Which lets face it, might be a good thing. I think Id rather pay him less per year over 2 years, than more over 1. Staple seems to think, or is hoping, that Martin + Greene are $3M or less AAV to return next year. One can hope.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->