Player Discussion Matt Grzelcyk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Some of the D are so marginally better or worse than others that it should be easy too have a rotation where the healthy scratch(es) is/are rotated.

It’s almost so obvious that it’s silly not to employ such a strategy. Keep everyone earning their playing time. Keep everyone fresh. Eventually the best of the crop will emerge.

Not to say initially certain guys should not be exempt, but they are “Under review” as well.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
It means he's been elite this year at two pretty important attributes:
  • Preventing defensive zone entries.
  • Executing defensive zone exits.

This stat passes the eye test two. He's easily the smoothest Bruin out of his own zone with the puck and with his skating is really well suited for matching up against the smaller and speedier forwards that are appearing more and more in today's game.

False Start

May 8, 2018
It means he's been elite this year at two pretty important attributes:
  • Preventing defensive zone entries.
  • Executing defensive zone exits.

What's his level of competition tho. Grz hasn't played versus the top lines of most teams. He also eats bottom six people alive, probably inflating his stats a little bit.

No doubt Grz is a very very capable player with great strengths that come with well documented weaknesses which can be exposed.

If he can up his production to ~ 30-40 points a season we have a quality top 4 defenseman in him (ala Jarred Spurgeon). If not he's still one of the better bottom 4 guys in the league.

Bumper

Apr 16, 2018
(Only) Halfway To Everywhere
What's his level of competition tho. Grz hasn't played versus the top lines of most teams. He also eats bottom six people alive, probably inflating his stats a little bit....
he is right in the middle of the pack there, so this argument is garbage against him. in fact, all arguments denigrating this player represent for me the kind of negativity that is tiring. he excels and it is good.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
I didn't need a chart to tell me this kid is a very good player, some of us have been saying this for some time now.

They move him it better be for a first rounder

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
I'd hate to lose this guy, but at this point I wouldn't be surprised if it happens.

You know there has to be other teams in the league who'd salivate over getting a younger Dman who's very good at what he does, and is doing it for cheap right now (I don't know his contract situation. He IS getting paid cheap, right?)

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
His skating last night was phenomenal. Smart player with the physical ability to go along with it.

How would he look paired next to McAvoy for the next ten years? Is he too small or could it work?

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
His skating last night was phenomenal. Smart player with the physical ability to go along with it.

How would he look paired next to McAvoy for the next ten years? Is he too small or could it work?

They've looked good together when Cassidy has done so this year. They were better than the the Chara-McAvoy pairing has looked. That is the pairing I would like to see become regular, like Sweeney-Bourque.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
They've looked good together when Cassidy has done so this year. They were better than the the Chara-McAvoy pairing has looked. That is the pairing I would like to see become regular, like Sweeney-Bourque.

They have looked good, definitely. I'm interested to see what happens post-Chara. Can they be a "top pairing"? Is that even a necessary distinction?

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
They have looked good, definitely. I'm interested to see what happens post-Chara. Can they be a "top pairing"? Is that even a necessary distinction?

I think it is something that still is relevant. Charlie has the physical side of the game in that pairing so even now, they could play against other teams' top lines and do fine.

Reactions: Gordon Lightfoot

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I think it is something that still is relevant. Charlie has the physical side of the game in that pairing so even now, they could play against other teams' top lines and do fine.
Yes top lines aren't necessarily extremely physical (except for Washington with Ovi). Speed, skill, awareness and the ability to transition away from the D zone and keep the cycle at bay. These two can do it for sure.

Reactions: Dr Hook

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Really like what Grzelcyk has brought on the right side the last couple of games. I think with him, McAvoy and Carlo paroling that side there's none better in the NHL. This will take the Bruins a long way come playoff time. I think he brings a lot more to the table than a Miller. Miller has the size and strength but Grizz escape-ability, puck retrieval skills, along with his one on one ability's out weighs Miller.

So basically it comes down to Miller vs Moore and what pairs you'd rather see in the Bruins line-up. That's where I prefer the sets that were used last night as McAvoy with Z , Carlo with Krug and Grizz with Moore. I think this unit is better as a whole.

I feel Grizz's ability to handle the puck and escape pressure makes Moore a better player when he's not being the one depended on to break that pressure initially, as is the case with Miller and Miller has too many turnovers for me, when he's pressured as does Moore.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad