Player Discussion Matt Grzelcyk

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'd hate to lose this guy, but at this point I wouldn't be surprised if it happens.

You know there has to be other teams in the league who'd salivate over getting a younger Dman who's very good at what he does, and is doing it for cheap right now (I don't know his contract situation. He IS getting paid cheap, right?)

He is cheap this year and next. After that expect his contract to Balloon upwards

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I'd hate to lose this guy, but at this point I wouldn't be surprised if it happens.

You know there has to be other teams in the league who'd salivate over getting a younger Dman who's very good at what he does, and is doing it for cheap right now (I don't know his contract situation. He IS getting paid cheap, right?)
Surprised and excited that Sweeney was able to hold onto him while making moves to improve the lineup at the deadline. A lot has been made about him holding on to his first round picks in this draft and next - but Grzlyeck is a pretty big piece IMO.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
He is cheap this year and next. After that expect his contract to Balloon upwards

It will for sure. I wonder what will happen this off-season (if anything).

Chara, Krug, Grzelcyk, Moore, Vaakanainen, Lauzon, Zboril. Deep on the left side. Was a little surprised something didn't drop at the deadline. Have to think Chara is back for at least another year.

Krug is UFA at the end of next year, Grzelcyk RFA. Krug's number will probably start with a 6. At least. Wouldn't be shocked if he's dealt at the draft.... or extended long term soon after. Same for Grzelcyk. Think both are good 2nd pair D, bringing different elements. Hopefully the conclusion comes in the summer. Would not be smart to let a decision like that linger into the season with an asset as valuable as Krug.

Reactions: wintersej

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
It says something when, at this point, losing Grizz for an extended period of time might be worse than losing Krug.

To me it says more about how much Gryz has improved from last season (and keeps getting better) than it does Krug. In terms of all around game, it hurts worse losing Gryz for sure.

Reactions: HockeyMomx2

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
It says something when, at this point, losing Grizz for an extended period of time might be worse than losing Krug.

it isnt. Krug is more important to the team.

Krug:

6-42-48
54.2 CF
2.8 CFrel
5.7 def point shares
9.5 total ps
41.7 xGA

Grizz:

2-14-16
51.4 CF
-1.6 CFrel
5.6 def point shares
6.0 total ps
45.7 xGA

Grizz is certainly a key player on the backend however and losing him would hurt.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
that's a pleasant surprise. looked like a broken arm in real time for sure.

That’s what I thought as well. My son has broken his wrist/arm twice (once on the ice) and it looked a lot like that.

Grizz is an easy guy to like. Hard worker, smart player, has improved tremendously over the last year +.

My question is, what has changed from last year when the B’s D (not entirely their fault) looked a little overwhelmed vs TB? In the aftermath comments were made to the effect that the team was too small on the left side. John Moore, who is 6’2”, 200+ pounds, and a plus skater, was signed. This appeared to be at least partially to address that sentiment? During the regular season, due to injuries and how well he has performed, Grizz has been in the lineup for 61 of the B’s 69 games, often over Moore.

Grizz was hurt last night, but provided he’s healthy for the playoffs, does he start? We all know the playoffs are a different animal than the regular season. I would guess that the matchups will dictate who is in the starting lineup. Against an opponent like Toronto, who is generally regarded as more of a finesse/offensive team, Grizz probably starts over Moore. If the opponent is someone like the Caps, Moore likely slots in (with Miller).

This year notwithstanding, the more interesting thing to me is how the B’s FO sees the backend moving forward. IMO, it’s a given that you sign and keep McAvoy and Carlo as your building blocks and fill in around them. A team could do worse than having 73 and 25 anchor the right side for the next decade. Miller is signed for one more year, and the B’s have LH guys like Moore and others if a RH candidate doesn’t emerge.

The left side is the big question mark. First and foremost is Chara. Do you bring him back for one year? Two? Or do you bite the bullet and let him go after this season? Krug has one more year remaining on his deal. Do you bring him back after that, or do you trust that a combo of McAvoy, Grizz, or Vaak can replace his offense? If you keep Krug, does Grizz get dealt to address other needs? The B’s have three LHD prospects in Vaak, Lauzon, and Zboril that are all 6 feet or taller and 200 pounds or more. Two of them (UV and Zboril) are as fine a pair of skating D as you will ever see. What does the staff think is the upside for these three? Can UV step in for Chara as soon as next year? Can Lauzon step in for Krug in the Top 4? Can Zboril be a solid 3rd pair?

With this kind of intrigue, who needs soap operas? :laugh:

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I let Chara go after this season, let one of Lauzon or UV (or JZ if he has an awakening) battle for that roster spot. Let Krug walk after next season, and let the next best if the three young LD take the other spot. Have to give Connor Clifton another look before deciding about renewing K Miller. Then there's Axel in the wings potentially. It's a good time for the Bruins defense corps.

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
That’s what I thought as well. My son has broken his wrist/arm twice (once on the ice) and it looked a lot like that.

Grizz is an easy guy to like. Hard worker, smart player, has improved tremendously over the last year +.

My question is, what has changed from last year when the B’s D (not entirely their fault) looked a little overwhelmed vs TB? In the aftermath comments were made to the effect that the team was too small on the left side. John Moore, who is 6’2”, 200+ pounds, and a plus skater, was signed. This appeared to be at least partially to address that sentiment? During the regular season, due to injuries and how well he has performed, Grizz has been in the lineup for 61 of the B’s 69 games, often over Moore.

Grizz was hurt last night, but provided he’s healthy for the playoffs, does he start? We all know the playoffs are a different animal than the regular season. I would guess that the matchups will dictate who is in the starting lineup. Against an opponent like Toronto, who is generally regarded as more of a finesse/offensive team, Grizz probably starts over Moore. If the opponent is someone like the Caps, Moore likely slots in (with Miller).

This year notwithstanding, the more interesting thing to me is how the B’s FO sees the backend moving forward. IMO, it’s a given that you sign and keep McAvoy and Carlo as your building blocks and fill in around them. A team could do worse than having 73 and 25 anchor the right side for the next decade. Miller is signed for one more year, and the B’s have LH guys like Moore and others if a RH candidate doesn’t emerge.

The left side is the big question mark. First and foremost is Chara. Do you bring him back for one year? Two? Or do you bite the bullet and let him go after this season? Krug has one more year remaining on his deal. Do you bring him back after that, or do you trust that a combo of McAvoy, Grizz, or Vaak can replace his offense? If you keep Krug, does Grizz get dealt to address other needs? The B’s have three LHD prospects in Vaak, Lauzon, and Zboril that are all 6 feet or taller and 200 pounds or more. Two of them (UV and Zboril) are as fine a pair of skating D as you will ever see. What does the staff think is the upside for these three? Can UV step in for Chara as soon as next year? Can Lauzon step in for Krug in the Top 4? Can Zboril be a solid 3rd pair?

With this kind of intrigue, who needs soap operas? :laugh:

For me if Grizz is healthy, he plays. If he struggles against a bigger lineup, then Moore can come in.

I think it would be best for everyone if Chara retired after this season.

Krug is a really tough question. I've changed my mind in favor of both keeping and trading him various times. Right now, I'd lean toward keeping him especially if Z retires.

Reactions: Dr Hook

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
it isnt. Krug is more important to the team.

Krug:

6-42-48
54.2 CF
2.8 CFrel
5.7 def point shares
9.5 total ps
41.7 xGA

Grizz:

2-14-16
51.4 CF
-1.6 CFrel
5.6 def point shares
6.0 total ps
45.7 xGA

Grizz is certainly a key player on the backend however and losing him would hurt.

I don't want to trash Krug. He is awesome. But to present these stats without pointing out that Krug gets some of the easiest deployments in hockey while Gryz gets standard top 4 deployments is a little off.

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
Glad hes OK.

My only real criticism at this point are his untimely hooks and trips he seems to get called on once per game.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Glad hes OK.

My only real criticism at this point are his untimely hooks and trips he seems to get called on once per game.

I was surprised to see he is second on the team in PIMs behind Marchand. I would not have guessed that.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
By my math, it was 1:15 Monday.

One says "will fly" back to Boston, the other says "has travelled back to Boston."

So when was it?

And maybe he didn't get off the plane and straight to the MRI?

I found it.Grizz got good news.Jake skating too.

Last edited:

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Hard to believe "Grizz" has 68 PIMs on the season. Unfortunately, it's 34 minors, hurting the team. If he's going to continue this in the playoffs, I hope he's a scratch. We can't afford to play short-handed due to a bunch of lazy hooks, holds and trips.

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
Hard to believe "Grizz" has 68 PIMs on the season. Unfortunately, it's 34 minors, hurting the team. If he's going to continue this in the playoffs, I hope he's a scratch. We can't afford to play short-handed due to a bunch of lazy hooks, holds and trips.
To me the laziest dman we have is Krug, but obviously has that offensive upside on PP. Griz may get a few penalties but Krug’s laziness leads directly to opposing teams goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad