Player Discussion Matt Grzelcyk

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
Coyle isn't a star but he's solid player.

Who would I take out for Gryz? Easy. Kevan Miller. And that's no knock on Miller, but a testament to how well Gryz has played this year.
Sure let’s take a little more grit off the back end, it is not soft enough yet

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
DxISs62UwAE-BLB.jpg

Mildly interesting Grzelcyk stat of the day: he's been literally the best defenceman in the entire league at gaining/denying zone entries in 2018/19.

Fopppa

Jan 3, 2009
DxISs62UwAE-BLB.jpg

Mildly interesting Grzelcyk stat of the day: he's been literally the best defenceman in the entire league at gaining/denying zone entries in 2018/19.
Not saying it's not interesting or that the conclusion is wrong, but why are there only 14 teams' D-men on the chart?

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Not sure. Possibly only those teams have their zone entries/exits tracked, or maybe adding all teams would clutter the chart so much it'd be unreadable. Regardless, when you are an NHL defenceman doing some part of your job at a comparable level to Erik Karlsson, you are probably doing a fine job.

Reactions: Fopppa

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
DxISs62UwAE-BLB.jpg

Very interesting

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
it was surreal not seeing him on the ice last night. feels like lately he's been on the ice every other shift.

still not totally on board with trading him.

Reactions: StrBender

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
it was surreal not seeing him on the ice last night. feels like lately he's been on the ice every other shift.

still not totally on board with trading him.

No and he is a better defenseman than John Moore. No way he needs to sit for Moore ever again. Oh except that Moore is 6'2 and Gryz isn't. :rolleyes:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I'd prefer to see Miller sit and have both Grzelcyk and Moore play regularly.

At the very least take a look at who they are playing and judge it accordingly.

For example, I don't want to see Miller vs. Toronto again. Small, speedy forward group, get the better skaters in there (Gryz or Moore).

Conversely, against a larger heavier team like the Capitals, I'd be inclined to use Moore and Miller as they are bigger and stronger. Or at least Gryz and Miller.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
At the very least take a look at who they are playing and judge it accordingly.

For example, I don't want to see Miller vs. Toronto again. Small, speedy forward group, get the better skaters in there (Gryz or Moore).

Conversely, against a larger heavier team like the Capitals, I'd be inclined to use Moore and Miller as they are bigger and stronger. Or at least Gryz and Miller.

Yeah, I would think that would be the point of having 8 NHL D and options like they have, but who knows what goes on behind the scenes?

Reactions: Tbaybruin

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
After watching the game last night makes you realize how good Grzleyck is. He’s just quicker on his skates and in his head than half of the D.

I know they need some scoring up front - but this kid is a gem and it’d be tough to see him go.

Agreed. The team missed him. too much is made of his size. For every instance he gets outmatched physically, and if we're honest and watching, it doesn't happen very often, there a 3 or 4 plays he makes that the bigger option (Moore, Miller, Carlo, etc.) can't or don't pull off. It's well worth the trade-off.

Reactions: Bun Cook

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
After watching the game last night makes you realize how good Grzleyck is. He’s just quicker on his skates and in his head than half of the D.

I know they need some scoring up front - but this kid is a gem and it’d be tough to see him go.

I don't know why we have to trade him its not like him or Moore are going to die or forget how to skate because one is #7 when everyone is healthy.

After next year we are losing Krug to free agency, Chara one way or another this might be his last year, and likely one of Moore/Grizz to Vegas we will probably not expose a better forward to them than those 2.

Why trade someone? Thats 3 LDs we will lose to free agency, age, and expansion.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
I don't know why we have to trade him its not like him or Moore are going to die or forget how to skate because one is #7 when everyone is healthy.

After next year we are losing Krug to free agency, Chara one way or another this might be his last year, and likely one of Moore/Grizz to Vegas we will probably not expose a better forward to them than those 2.

Why trade someone? Thats 3 LDs we will lose to free agency, age, and expansion.
Great post. If Grizz plays instead of Chara I say we win. Any one who watches the games can’t say Moore is better than Grizz, no way bigger yes.

cat400

Jul 30, 2005
The Grzelcyk's debate brings back memories of old.

In the 1960's the Bruins had a bunch of young defencemen including Ted Green, Ed Westfall, Dallas Smith and Pat Stapleton whom they hoped to lead them out of the wilderness.

Westfall as a RW, Smith and Green went on to Stanley Cup success with the Bruins.

Stapleton at 5 ft. 8 in. was traded off after a full season and a bit with the Bruins and eventually ended up with the Black Hawks where he had quite the productive career along with being a member of the historic 1972 Summit Series.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
I just love him as a player, one of the best guys in center ice in all the league. I think the writing is on the wall, and they have the depth in the org to do it... just bummed.

One of my fav skaters to watch, great style.

I used to like observing Colin Miller's skating too.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Cassidy will never sit him.
Sure he will, and he has, but Miller brings a whole lot to the back end. Might be the most underrated player on the team.

One of my fav skaters to watch, great style.

I used to like observing Colin Miller's skating too.
Yeah- biggest difference is that Grzelyck is always dialed right in, CMiller would go on holiday from time to time.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Sure he will, and he has, but Miller brings a whole lot to the back end. Might be the most underrated player on the team.

Respectfully disagree, K.M. Brings nothing but the occasional big hit or a fight. He skates himself into the boards in the Ozone and constantly screens the Bruins goaltender.

Bring up Clifton trade KM to one of the California teams . DO NOT TRADE GRIZZ it will be a major mistake

Reactions: Mainehockey33

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
The three best defensive defensemen right now are Carlo, Miller/Chara, and Grez/McAvoy. The best at stoking the offense are Krug, McAvoy and Grez. Grez is the only common denominator there. And Moore isn't on either list. But he still brings more than Kampfer.

I say try Moore at wing one of these games, keep Kampfer as a decent fill-in. And don't trade Vaakanainen, BTW.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Grzelcyk, leads the team in most important...….. plus/minus, of course.

Though leading your team with a +8 is kind of embarrassing to the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad