Player Discussion Matt Grzelcyk

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
He's a top 4 guy for sure. Not bad for basically a second year NHLer, no?

My question wasn't rhetorical in nature. I was just curious as to what people think would hold Gryz back from being a top pairing defenceman. Too small?

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
My question wasn't rhetorical in nature. I was just curious as to what people think would hold Gryz back from being a top pairing defenceman. Too small?

Got ya- For me it is the offensive side of his game that needs a bit more development. I'd like to see him do better with his shot, getting it on net more often, and through traffic.

Reactions: BMC

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
Why are small defencemen the only thing we can't have 2 of. What if I say, "We can't have two defencemen who handle the puck like a grenade." Your time is up Carlo. You were brutal with the puck on Saturday night, and 2 points for the season is unacceptable.

(Partly joking, but also making a point)

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr Hook

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
He not a top four with a healthy Boston lineup, unless you think he is ahead of Moore, Chara, McAvoy, Carlo, Krug or even Miller.

I think he's ahead of Moore, Miller and Carlo in terms of his play. But if the past 30 games haven't convinced anyone that he's the real deal that can play top 4 minutes, then it hasn't :dunno:

Reactions: rocketdan9

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
Why are small defencemen the only thing we can't have 2 of. What if I say, "We can't have two defencemen who handle the puck like a grenade." Your time is up Carlo. You were brutal with the puck on Saturday night, and 2 points for this season is unacceptable.

(Partly joking, but also making a point)
If you ask 31 GMs in the league who they would rather have, Carlo or Grizz, 31 are taking Carlo. If you are telling me the Grizz is better at any aspect of playing defence than Carlo, then I would say you need to watch more.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
I think he's ahead of Moore, Miller and Carlo in terms of his play. But if the past 30 games haven't convinced anyone that he's the real deal that can play top 4 minutes, then it hasn't :dunno:
It seems like people are willing to overlook his warts yet jump all over others. For me with a healthy roster he is number seven at best.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
If you ask 31 GMs in the league who they would rather have, Carlo or Grizz, 31 are taking Carlo. If you are telling me the Grizz is better at any aspect of playing defence than Carlo, then I would say you need to watch more.

I watch plenty and Grizz is better positionally than Carlo to me. The angles he takes in transition are better than Carlo right now.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
What does 4 inches and 25 pounds have to do with anything? So he can clear out all those huge power forwards from the crease that all the teams are icing these days? He's too small for the NHL . . . of a decade + ago. There will always be the odd bad matchup out there no matter who the D-man is unless you are talking the elite of the elite- the Drew Doughtys, the pre-ankle Erik Karlssons. Grizz isn't in that class, but 4 mill+ a season for what he brings is a nice contract for a highly mobile pmd who plays very solid positional defense.

@Dr Hook , I've noticed that both Gryz and Krug have trouble keeping opponents away from/out of the crease area, they just aren't big/strong enough to move someone out of the way. Not questioning their heart or positioning, they just can't do it physically. That's where the 3-4 inches & 20-25 pounds come in, if both of them were just a little bit bigger they could do a better job there. I also noticed during the playoffs vs TB those two were taking a terrible pounding, to the point where they seemed shy of going near a puck to pass it out of the zone. Again, lack of size hurts them in that situation.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Is Gryz a top pairing defenceman? Why not if he's so good at eluding forecheckers etc.

He's not a top pairing guy.

He moves the puck very well, but he is also a limited player. And top pairing guys are not limited in such a way. His offense is not top pairing. And he can't play physically in front to the net.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
@Dr Hook , I've noticed that both Gryz and Krug have trouble keeping opponents away from/out of the crease area, they just aren't big/strong enough to move someone out of the way. Not questioning their heart or positioning, they just can't do it physically. That's where the 3-4 inches & 20-25 pounds come in, if both of them were just a little bit bigger they could do a better job there. I also noticed during the playoffs vs TB those two were taking a terrible pounding, to the point where they seemed shy of going near a puck to pass it out of the zone. Again, lack of size hurts them in that situation.

I don't disagree. So far this season, I have seen better from Grizz in that respect, though. There are going to be those guys that can shove him out of the way, no question. It's simple physics. I get that. But you put 4 inches and 25-30 pounds on him and you either have a perennial Norris candidate or a guy that you'd rather not see out there against the Gaudreaus, Marners etc of the league which is where things are trending. I don't know, I am probably getting Joe/Heinen syndrome with Grizz, but hockey is always about matchups and for the Tom Wilson types that are a threat and are large, strong men, I guess you want your Carlo, Chara, Millers out there if you can. The average skill guy that goes 6 180 I think Grizz and Krug are fine.

As for the TB pounding, yeah that was hard to watch. It could happen again with those guys, especially if they aren't getting the forward support which I think was bad in that series for the most part.

Reactions: Tampbear and BMC

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Grz is not a top pairing guys but a 2nd pair guy (low end)

With Chara out he has been bumped up to 1st pair duties (or 2nd - unclear)

But he has been very good and reliable. He causes issues for opponents due to skating and ability to handle the puck a little

Really good bargain for the mins he is playing

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Respectfully disagree 100%

No worries, and by the way, I love Carlo- in fact, I like our whole D-corps, even Kampfer so long as he only gets spot duty. It's a good problem to have for the Bruins and for us as fans, deciding who among 6-7 worthy candidates who gets the minutes.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
Who's jumping all over others? What are you talking about?
Krug makes a mistake or misses a check and people are on HF pointing it out, Carlo the same, just follow the GDT. Grizz gets pushed around, bobbles the puck while trying to avoid a hit or passes in front of his net, nothing said. I realize he is a home town boy but that doesn’t equal a free pass. Like I said, with a full roster he is number 7 regardless of what some think. Good thing is Cassidy sees it that is why he was sitting at the start of the year. For me he is a good trade chip, maybe to Minny for Coyle

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Is Gryz a top pairing defenceman? Why not if he's so good at eluding forecheckers etc.

To me, a top pairing guy is someone you know you can trust in all situations and perform well most of the time. Sometimes a top pairing guy might lack in a little something a traditional 1st pairing D would have, but when partnered with a number 1 dman that can offset it, it's just not that noticeable.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
No worries, and by the way, I love Carlo- in fact, I like our whole D-corps, even Kampfer so long as he only gets spot duty. It's a good problem to have for the Bruins and for us as fans, deciding who among 6-7 worthy candidates who gets the minutes.
Agree, with the injuries they have experienced they are fortunate to have a player like Grizz. I am just totally against have both him and Krug to start the playoffs, still having nightmares from last year vs TB. Kampfer is a perfect number seven. Krug is a perfect 5/6 pairing and PP quarterback. The injuries this year are not normal and in a few weeks some tough decisions are going to have to be made, with Krug starting to heat up point wise he won’t be going anywhere anytime soon.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Krug makes a mistake or misses a check and people are on HF pointing it out, Carlo the same, just follow the GDT. Grizz gets pushed around, bobbles the puck while trying to avoid a hit or passes in front of his net, nothing said. I realize he is a home town boy but that doesn’t equal a free pass. Like I said, with a full roster he is number 7 regardless of what some think. Good thing is Cassidy sees it that is why he was sitting at the start of the year. For me he is a good trade chip, maybe to Minny for Coyle

So if all of the bolded is true (and it's not but I'll play along) how does Gryz, a No.7 D-man according to your assessment, become a good trade chip for a quality forward like Coyle?

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
So if all of the bolded is true (and it's not but I'll play along) how does Gryz, a No.7 D-man according to your assessment, become a good trade chip for a quality forward like Coyle?
Well first off, what I like about Coyle is his size, as far as production goes he is basically a third line player, Grizz should get you that. He is number seven in Boston, which is deep in dmen, when healthy, like I said. On another team, with holes on the blueline he would fit in nicely. Not sure what you think Coyle is but he is not a star player, he has hit 20+ goals once and 50+ points once in 448 games, let’s not start overrating him. But he would help the Bruins up front for sure, considering he plays RW. There definitely teams Grizz could be 4/5 dman, some maybe even higher. But you tell me, when the Bruins have a full healthy back end, who would you take out to give Grizz a spot on a regular basis?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Well first off, what I like about Coyle is his size, as far as production goes he is basically a third line player, Grizz should get you that. He is number seven in Boston, which is deep in dmen, when healthy, like I said. On another team, with holes on the blueline he would fit in nicely. Not sure what you think Coyle is but he is not a star player, he has hit 20+ goals once and 50+ points once in 448 games, let’s not start overrating him. But he would help the Bruins up front for sure, considering he plays RW. There definitely teams Grizz could be 4/5 dman, some maybe even higher. But you tell me, when the Bruins have a full healthy back end, who would you take out to give Grizz a spot on a regular basis?

Coyle isn't a star but he's solid player.

Who would I take out for Gryz? Easy. Kevan Miller. And that's no knock on Miller, but a testament to how well Gryz has played this year.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

And that is before factoring in Lauzon, who I think is NHL ready to be at worst a bottom pairing guy and maybe better,

I do agree on a Coyle type as somewhat reasonable value, and I'm not sure given relative contracts Gryz isn't more valuable. Coyle is pretty good, and would help this team, but is often overrated on this board

Reactions: BBB24
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad