Player Discussion Matt Dumba

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taylor26

Nov 12, 2011
minneapolis
I really hate to say it but this guy wears an "A" on his jersey. The guy is really fighting it right now and is off the PP1 and PP2 units (although no reason for him to not get back on). He is a vetern which helps in the sense that he is a vetern. As we all know he has never been the same since the Tkachuk fight. It's early maybe but if the last few season are a indication of his downfall this season may be brutal.

Bdub

Mar 27, 2021
Trade him now for Soucey or get a pick for him and sign a decent 1c.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
What is a fair contract for Dumba?
It's hard to say, and so much depends on what he does this year. I also think that salaries are going up, with the news that the players will have paid off their escrow debt after this year, allowing the cap to go up.

If he plays 75+ games, scores 25-30 pts. then probably 6 x 6M. With Weegar getting his deal, I can't see him getting much less, unless his play falls off this year.

A guy like Klingberg, and his contract situation, is another comparable. Much better offensively than Dumba, maybe a bit worse defensively. Wasn't able to secure a long term contract, but maybe was a bit greedy? Also a couple of years older, which matters.

Last edited:

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I don’t see any reason we need to resign him with the Faber trade and the way Addison is playing. $3M may be a fair deal but our organization could use that $ better elsewhere. Obviously this is only like 6% into the season and a lot can change but right now that’s the direction I would prefer

He’s already lost some of his explosiveness and he doesn’t have much else to fall back on.

Southern Minny

Nov 29, 2021
I don’t see any reason we need to resign him with the Faber trade and the way Addison is playing. $3M may be a fair deal but our organization could use that $ better elsewhere. Obviously this is only like 6% into the season and a lot can change but right now that’s the direction I would prefer

He’s already lost some of his explosiveness and he doesn’t have much else to fall back on.
If he realizes he's not the player he used to be, he could be a good re-sign for very cheap, considering we can't trade him because no one wants that contract, Dumba's in for a big surprise if he thinks he's getting anything close to the money he's getting now. JMO

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
If he realizes he's not the player he used to be, he could be a good re-sign for very cheap, considering we can't trade him because no one wants that contract, Dumba's in for a big surprise if he thinks he's getting anything close to the money he's getting now. JMO
I don't see any sign of him slowing down. He's still prone to being aggressive offensively, but just isn't finishing. He had another great chance last game. His scoring is going to be down because he isn't on the PP.

To me, he's similar to what he always was. Better defensively, not as good offensively. Still prone to errors in judgement more than you'd like, but has some very nice tools in his skating, shot, and strength. I can easily see a team offering him 6M/yr, with the cap going up to 84M. It was what, 60M when he signed his contract?

So much depends on how he plays this season.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Dumba plus prospect for Horvat.
Horvat is off to a hot start 6g,2a in 9gp. Unless you are talking about Faber, Wallstedt, or maybe one of Ohgren/Yurov as the add on, that deal ain't happening.

Bdub

Mar 27, 2021
Horvat is off to a hot start 6g,2a in 9gp. Unless you are talking about Faber, Wallstedt, or maybe one of Ohgren/Yurov as the add on, that deal ain't happening.
Absolutely!!! Giving up our top prospects wasn't what i was getting at. This team is going to accomplish nothing now and in the future with no legit center. We would still need a 1c plus a horvat type talent to get places this franchise has seen only one time and that was a fluke.

ShortPeter6

Feb 8, 2022
As far I am concerned, Dumba isn’t worth anything more than 2 mill a year. Let walk if he wants more than that. Be nice to open up a spot for one of the young guys.

Reactions: MuckOG

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
As far I am concerned, Dumba isn’t worth anything more than 2 mill a year. Let walk if he wants more than that. Be nice to open up a spot for one of the young guys.

Too many mental mistakes for a player with that many years under his belt. Almost more of a liability than an asset at this point. I hope we can get something of value at the trade deadline, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Reactions: ShortPeter6

ShortPeter6

Feb 8, 2022
Too many mental mistakes for a player with that many years under his belt. Almost more of a liability than an asset at this point. I hope we can get something of value at the trade deadline, but I'm not getting my hopes up.
Once people see Faber they will realize how over rated Dumba really is. Once Dumba lost his shot after the fight where he injured his shoulder the first time, he became about as valuable as Golagoski to me.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Russo said he's 100% sure, this is Dumba's last season in a Wild jersey. A reason is that guys are knocking on the door, including Faber. If they can't move Dumba in a trade they'll just let him walk.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Very few players make the jump from NCAA to NHL immediately, especially at D. I think that we are taking Dumba's abilities for granted a little bit. His speed and ability to move the puck are far beyond anything someone like Middleton can do, and Addison is nowhere near as physical, and no great shakes defensively himself.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Very few players make the jump from NCAA to NHL immediately, especially at D. I think that we are taking Dumba's abilities for granted a little bit. His speed and ability to move the puck are far beyond anything someone like Middleton can do, and Addison is nowhere near as physical, and no great shakes defensively himself.
He also has a super uncanny knack for missing the net. I actually really like Dumba and would be totally fine seeing him stick around for the rest of his career (at a reasonable cost, of course)... but I also don't think the team would suffer much without him.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I realize that I might be slightly underrating Dumba's effectiveness, but that is because be tends to always do something boneheaded at the worst possible time in far too many games.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
He has his moments defensively and is probably more effective than his clunky game appears to be, but I’d wager one of Faber or Addison elevate their game next fall to the point where we don’t miss Dumba at all.

I also think it is clear he is not a favorite of GMs around the league as he has survived the tradeblock for 3 regimes. Some may choose to believe that all of Fletcher, Fenton & Guerin valued him too highly and asked too much, but the reality is that is he is probably just not a very coveted asset. Given how unsteady he can be, that’s no surprise.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
He has his moments defensively and is probably more effective than his clunky game appears to be, but I’d wager one of Faber or Addison elevate their game next fall to the point where we don’t miss Dumba at all.

I also think it is clear he is not a favorite of GMs around the league as he has survived the tradeblock for 3 regimes. Some may choose to believe that all of Fletcher, Fenton & Guerin valued him too highly and asked too much, but the reality is that is he is probably just not a very coveted asset. Given how unsteady he can be, that’s no surprise.

Both Fletcher and Guerin both made moves specifically to protect Dumba in the expansion draft.

I don't recall Fenton (who signed him to his $6m/yr deal) wanting to trade him at all. Fenton wanted to not re-sign and trade Spurgeon.

Being on the trade block doesn't mean much. It's not like it's been a please someone take him for anything situation. For years Dumba was one of the best pieces MN had in their never-ending search of a 1C.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
He also has a super uncanny knack for missing the net. I actually really like Dumba and would be totally fine seeing him stick around for the rest of his career (at a reasonable cost, of course)... but I also don't think the team would suffer much without him.
I have a slightly different view.

-First off, it's near impossible to not like Dumba as a person. I bet he keeps the players laughing, and together, and is a good public face for the team. You can overvalue that shit(i.e. Suter, fiala), but it matters.

- I do think that the team will suffer w/o Dumba around, at least in the short term. There is no obvious replacement for him right now if he were to be traded at the TDL, and if just one Dman goes down after he is traded there is no obvious fix. Sustr looks like crap to me down in Iowa.

- Expecting Faber to come in next year and immediately be of NHL quality is overly optimistic. That's a huge jump in play. I think it's far more likely that one of SJO, ROR, or Hunt (as of now, my money is on Hunt, but it's a long season)comes up, with someone(Goligoski, Merill) playing the off side.

- 100% agree that the team can't afford Dumba and shouldn't sign him. Unless he has a disturbingly bad season(in which case we shouldn't sign him, either), he should be getting at least a 30M contract. Given our options starting next year, we can't do that.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
There's just really no reason why he shouldn't have been able to carry that 23 year old season forward. That's the frustrating part, that he showed something like that and then it was gone.
I believe there is a very real, physical reason. That said, I completely agree, it really is a shame! He could have been one of the best offensive defenders in Wild history. For a short time his name was being bandied about alongside Brent Burns's.

The Wild are almost certainly going to miss him in the short term, but, with a heavy heart I say this, long term I think they'll be better off for moving on. The old grass burns so the new can flourish.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
I have a slightly different view.

-First off, it's near impossible to not like Dumba as a person. I bet he keeps the players laughing, and together, and is a good public face for the team. You can overvalue that shit(i.e. Suter, fiala), but it matters.

- I do think that the team will suffer w/o Dumba around, at least in the short term. There is no obvious replacement for him right now if he were to be traded at the TDL, and if just one Dman goes down after he is traded there is no obvious fix. Sustr looks like crap to me down in Iowa.

- Expecting Faber to come in next year and immediately be of NHL quality is overly optimistic. That's a huge jump in play. I think it's far more likely that one of SJO, ROR, or Hunt (as of now, my money is on Hunt, but it's a long season)comes up, with someone(Goligoski, Merill) playing the off side.

- 100% agree that the team can't afford Dumba and shouldn't sign him. Unless he has a disturbingly bad season(in which case we shouldn't sign him, either), he should be getting at least a 30M contract. Given our options starting next year, we can't do that.

Always appreciate your takes, my man, especially all things IA related since I don't catch hardly any of that. I didn't actually think about the impacts if he's traded and THEN someone goes down. And you're right about Dumba as a person and a locker room guy. Unless the person in question is still butt hurt about him kneeling a couple years back (such a silly thing to get your undies in a bunch over) can't imagine anyone not liking him.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
By all accounts he seems like a wonderful person and team leader, but his on ice play is the issue. The defensive gaffes were tolerable when he was scoring and young, now they are just aggravating and he lacks all scoring confidence. I think the organization is higher on Faber than many here I think, I would bet he sees time with the Wild immediately after the Gophers are done based on some of Guerin’s comments.

Reactions: MuckOG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad