Matt Duchene

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
if he is though, meh as long as we net a great package.
566048-1536864832-wide.jpg

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Sure, but again, Duchene wanting to see what happens with Stone doesn't affect Ottawa's ability to make an actual contract offer. He could certainly reject it, but there'd be a starting point. Why haven't they made an offer yet? Why haven't they opened the negotiations to see how Duchene's camp reacts?

Kypreos said that they haven't exchanged any numbers, but they've had 5 months, and it's easy to find comparables.

8 years, $64 million with a NMC in the first 4 years, NTC in the last 4. That's a reasonable opening offer. Can't be that hard to put it in front of Duchene, can it?

The onus to make the first move is on Dorion, not Duchene. Why hasn't he made it?
Maybe he has.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I’ve yet to see it affect another team.
Doughty, Wheeler didn’t get front loaded contracts. They have some signing bonuses but nothing Eugene couldn’t do. The Tavares and Nylander contracts are not normal and pretty much guaranteed a lockout.

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
If there's one thing we know by now, it's that if there is a right decision to be made, the Sens won't make it.

I hope they do - and have held out hope that they would in the past - but without fail, we will do the wrong thing with our assets.

Honestly, the Sens must be a fun team for other general managers to f**k around with.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I can’t verify anything.
Just a suggestion, but there is a "Signing Bonus" Tab, on Cap Friendly that shows a Teams total signing bonuses for the season ..... this will give you an indication of who the "have nots" are in the NHL, in regards to their ability to hand out signing bonuses as if they're a standard feature of a contract, or not.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
The general manager of this team is napping in his bunker. He has already missed a few opportunities to improve our team, via waivers, or to give Andy some help, but is either not allowed to, or refuses to.

If you have ever met someone who has ever worked for the Ottawa Senators, they will tell you that this organization is not known for taking care of their employees.

The organization has a strong reputation for taking care of the players.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Just a suggestion, but there is a "Signing Bonus" Tab, on Cap Friendly that shows a Teams total signing bonuses for the season ..... this will give you an indication of who the "have nots" are in the NHL, in regards to their ability to hand out signing bonuses as if they're a standard feature of a contract, or not.
Well I’ll wait until I see a another team let a star player walk because they can’t pay him bonus money.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Yes, thank you. The team is trying. I believe they can do better, much much better. And I agree with your last paragraph wholeheartedly. Depending on the player, I don't think they care who the owner is, if there are fans in the building (hey, players renew contracts in florida?), or really anything to do with the business side, so long as they get paid and the team has a chance to win.

But where I do feel it impacts players is their perception of how competent the leadership is in temrs of creating that chance to win. This probably isn't the case for rookies, but players that have been in one organization are now able to compare the sens against it. Are the sens operating internally at the same level of professionalism/competency as other teams?

Here's an example: ex-player gets invited to work with the team on pro-scouting. When he arrives he finds out that pro-scouts are not being sent to games, and have to watch tape instead. Further, the lack of structure and oversight is shocking to him. This ex-player has played for, and worked with, many other teams and this is in his opinion, a trainwreck of an ops department.

Now, you don't have to believe that this is a true story, and I am not naming names. But if you are Duchene, and you are getting the same impression (Uber video certainly doesn't indicate anything otherwise), how much faith do you have that the team will get it's act together frequently enough to compete when we are already hand-cuffed by a small market budget?

There all kinds of reasons why players have left the org, but you still have to wonder why the only players that have voluntarily signed a new contract with the Sens since Murray passed are grinders.

Good post, I personally think that the team on the ice is headed in the right direction. They announced a rebuild, are playing and developing their rookies, and we have several high quality ones, and the team has employed a fun attacking to play, and watch, with a growing emphasis on the defensive side of the game.

Strictly from an one-ice perspective I would say that the rebuild is on the right track and going well. Players coming or deciding whether they want to stay or not have simlybhave to decide if this team is something that they want to be a part of.

I don’t believe that people in the hickey world share the opinions widely held in here as they pertain to our GM or our coach, and as long as they are being paid I don’t think they pay much attention to what the owner is up to.

Truth be told EM hasn’t been doing a whole lot and most of the animosity stems from his interview last year. I mean if people didn’t hate the man they would be looking at this lawsuit concerning Lebreton in an entirely different light.

It will come down to whether Stone and Duchene want to be a part of what is obviously a rebuild, it’s a big decision to make, but it’s not terribly complicated. In my opinion of course.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Maybe he has.

HNIC roundtable was pretty clear that numbers have not been discussed, which means no offer has been made. That's what we have to go on.

Is there a link to a story out there about an Ottawa offer that was extended?

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
If numbers haven't been discussed, but Duchene has mutual interest in staying as has been reported, it makes it sound to me like he is waiting on Stone.

Whether true or not, Duchene probably perceives him and Stone to be on the same level. One, he may not want to sign if Stone leaves. Two, he may not want to sign a contract and a month later have Stone get a much more lucrative deal than him.

It's a long shot, but it could also be the opposite. Maybe he only wants to stay if Stone is leaving. It's obvious this is Stone's team, and he's next in line to be captain. Maybe that's something Duchene values a lot, and would only stay if this can be "his" team. I think it's significantly more likely that he wants Stone to stay.

I think we should have a deadline of the first few days of January. If neither Stone or Duchene can negotiate a deal by then, we should start shopping them. No reason for us to get Tavares'd , and the longer we hold on to both, there will be a greater risk of losing either or both for nothing due to a badly timed injury.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
HNIC roundtable was pretty clear that numbers have not been discussed, which means no offer has been made. That's what we have to go on.

Is there a link to a story out there about an Ottawa offer that was extended?
It’s rumour and innuendo. The only time I heard someone say no numbers discussed, it was Kypreos who is a clown.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Alfredsson, Karlsson, Turris, Spezza and Methot probably disagree.

I don’t thing any of those players would say that they were mistreated by the organization. Alfie has a disagreement at the end of his career, the rest were treated just fine.

Jesus, EK ran the show here for almost a decade and now it’s poor little Swede?

Turris didn’t have his contract extended and was traded, people get traded all the time.

And Spezza requested a move because he didn’t want to rebuild, and was tired of the fan criticism.

Methot was rightfully the odd man out for the expansion draft, boohoo...

Guys can be upset that they were traded, doesn’t mean that they’re we’re mistreated.

So many of you can’t be taken seriously, you’ve decided to hate your team and are seemingly dumping your life’s worth of irrational anger at this particular outlet. So many serious lapses in common sense in exchange for being ‘butthurt’ as the kids say.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
It’s rumour and innuendo. The only time I heard someone say no numbers discussed, it was Kypreos who is a clown.

Sure, maybe it's false. But it's all we have to go on, and Duchene is still unsigned 5 months into the window for re-upping him and we haven't heard anything about an actual offer being extended so... it's believable.

Mendes just posted an article that doesn't paint the most promising picture either: https://www.tsn.ca/recent-history-s...ed-territory-on-duchene-stone-deals-1.1223966

Looking at that breakdown, you’ll see that approximately 90 per cent of these eight-year deals were signed in the period between June and September. That leaves four maximum extensions that were signed at some point after the calendar flipped to October to start the regular season.

But to put it simply, we’ve reached a window where it’s virtually unheard of to sign a player to an eight-year contract. That’s not to say it’s impossible – just that recent history suggests it is highly unusual.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Duchene demanded his way off his last team because they were not good enough. I have no idea why anyone would think he isnt going to look for a better team. I would assume that he is ignoring anything dorian says.

Or maybe he realizes how quickly things can change and he made a mistake to quit on Colorado. Will he maybe have a better attitude with Ottawa? I could see that side of it. He could go to St. Louis, a team with money, and look how they are doing. Philly. There is no sure thing. His Colorado experience should teach him that lesson.

UFAs have their eye on where they will live and raising a family. That is a major factor for the soon to be new father. A 3 hour drive from his actual home is a huge bonus too.

Handles1919

Jul 27, 2016
ottawa
I don’t thing any of those players would say that they were mistreated by the organization. Alfie has a disagreement at the end of his career, the rest were treated just fine.

Jesus, EK ran the show here for almost a decade and now it’s poor little Swede?

Turris didn’t have his contract extended and was traded, people get traded all the time.

And Spezza requested a move because he didn’t want to rebuild, and was tired of the fan criticism.

Methot was rightfully the odd man out for the expansion draft, boohoo...

Guys can be upset that they were traded, doesn’t mean that they’re we’re mistreated.

So many of you can’t be taken seriously, you’ve decided to hate your team and are seemingly dumping your life’s worth of irrational anger at this particular outlet. So many serious lapses in common sense in exchange for being ‘********’ as the kids say.
example #2876

i enjoy this lol

just need to wait for the care free "oh you!!!!" i dont care response

Reactions: branch

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018
Only about 5-10 posters here agree with your POV, but the 95% of the other posters are the ones that "lack common sense". Ok then.

The opinions of those 5 people are JUST as valid as the opinions of those other 95 people. It is of no significance that there's a lot more people with an opposing opinion.

It's not his fault that those 95 people choose to be so negative and spiral into dark places. Always look on the bright side of life.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
So if we sign our big guns what is going to be left ???This team cant continue to spend at the bottom of the league and expect the fans to believe its not going to more of the same BS that it has been now for over a decade.....The cap was supposed to be the mechanism that allowed us to compete on a equal footing....Yet we never go near the damn cap ,and continue to bleed assets because of it ....

IF EM cant properly fund this team to success than he needs to go

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad