Matt Duchene appreciation thread.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Who Were there people who wanted Duchene gone and O'reilly to stay? All I seen was people that want to keep O'reilly.

Duchene is supposed to produce more than O'reilly. The fact that O'reilly is producing close to the same rate (same points atm) as Duchene, makes management look even worse for giving him up. This team would look much better with ROR.

Duchene and O'reilly comparisons are annoying

There certainly were, especially during Matt's cold start. As a ROR fan who wanted him to stay it got really annoying to see folks continuing the ROR-v-Duchene trope.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
There certainly were, especially during Matt's cold start. As a ROR fan who wanted him to stay it got really annoying to see folks continuing the ROR-v-Duchene trope.

We should have both still but that's another story.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
We should have both still but that's another story.

That's exactly why people turning it into a ROR-v-Matt thing was so annoying. Keeping ROR and losing Matt would've been just as much of an issue as losing ROR and keeping Matt. Luckily we got a strong return and were able to keep the cheaper one with the higher ceiling and offensive skills; but the decision management had to make was Duchene+ROR v Duchene+ROR-return, not Duchene v ROR.

Trinstin

Oct 30, 2009
Denver, CO
Its been said but I'll mention it again, if Duchene plays well the Avs play well. He's too important to slump for the first 10 games and still have the Avs in a playoff position.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Sakic had an interesting curve when he played... it was pretty much straight out on the top, then on the bottom it was straight diagonally with just a slight curve at the end. Duchene's has typically been a gentle curve 1/2 to 3/4 through with a big toe curve.

Sakic:

images

Duchene:

2e6an3s.jpg

Didn't he do that a few years ago?

Duchene has changed 3 or 4 times since he got in the league I think. Less and less curve each time IIRC.

When I played, I HATED big toe curves. Heel or Mid Heel curve with an open face was always what I preferred (a lot like the off the shelf Parise curve). Much easier to roof the puck from in close.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
I have played with the off the shelf Sakic curve...I tend to shoot high with it, and my backhand suffers. I prefer closed face, slight mid/heel curve, with a steep lie. Zetterberg (which used to be Forsberg) from Easton.

Nothing sweeter in my mind than streaking in and saucering a backhand pass from the dot to the opposite winger for an easy tap in. I say streaking...but for most it would be a lazy glide...I ain't fast. Maybe shelfing one is better...but I am a pass first guy. If I am the one scoring a goal, it is generally an ugly one with my fat arse planted in front where nobody can move me.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Curves on retail sticks are usually not the curve those players actually use.

Yeah, unless you get a hold of some true pro stock sticks. But even then, a lot of the guys will adjust the blade once they get the sticks. Pretty sure you can't buy a stick with what ROR uses, retail or pro-stock :).

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Dutchy talking a bit more about the mental side of the game he always has to battle to stay consistent.

"I think about what I'm going to leave behind when I'm gone from the game. I've had to make it mean a little less to me because I wouldn't stay in the moment as much as I should and look too far ahead. I would panic when things weren't going well and worried too much about 15 or 20 years down the road rather than the next game."

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_29454362/eyes-cup-and-captaincy

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
when is James Neal a free agent?:nod:

That was one I was really sad about missing out on...

As much as people hate Neal, the guy can score, and hes a total **** to play against. No one likes Perry accept for Ducks fans, it's pretty much the same thing for Neal lol.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

As much as people hate Neal, the guy can score, and hes a total **** to play against. No one likes Perry accept for Ducks fans, it's pretty much the same thing for Neal lol.

This. There are some guys out there who just know how to put the puck in the net and it's huge to have them on your team. Iggy is actually still one of them but unfortunately he depends on someone else to get him into those positions at this point.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

Yah I would have loved Neal. He's a total ******* on the ice like Pepe but we all loved Pepe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad