Matt Duchene appreciation thread.

jrmysell

Feb 7, 2015
St. Kitts
Don't look now, but Duchene is tied for 13th in scoring for centers right now after having 2 points in the first 10 games

trip trancid

May 23, 2015
Don't look now, but Duchene is tied for 13th in scoring for centers right now after having 2 points in the first 10 games

The bulk of it is from playing RW on MacKinnon's line. This doesn't change the fact that there's been a huge upswing in in Duchene's production. And it's significant enough to deserve appreciation. And it's all happening thanks to Adrian Dater!✌️

ThatAvsGamer

Feb 21, 2013
Ontario
The bulk of it is from playing RW on MacKinnon's line. This doesn't change the fact that there's been a huge upswing in in Duchene's production. And it's significant enough to deserve appreciation. And it's all happening thanks to Adrian Dater!✌️

He had his breakout game before the rumors.

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia

Interesting that he can actually play wing after all. Long may it continue.

I wonder, with return of Landeskog into the line-up, what will happen to Grigorenko? Will he return back to bottom six or will they keep him with Dutch/MacK and play Landy with Soderberg and Iggy instead of Comeau?

Would be very nice if he proved to be bonafide top-six player, so we dont have to play are key trio on the single line.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
He's good at one thing...which is the definition of washed up. We are paying a premium for a 3rd liner and it will only get worse from here on out.

That's not the definition of washed up. Once again, what a joke (your constant hyperbole regarding Iggy, not you).

Funny how one dimensional scorers, which is what Duchene has been throughout his career, are top6 players because their one dimension fits that top6 scoring role and are not suited for a bottom 6 role. And when discussing these players roles their lack of 2way play is excused because they are in a scoring role. But no, Iggy is a third liner despite being a 60 point player :shakehead.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
?

His "breakout game" was the Philadelphia game, which came after Dater's late-night Twitter Rumors Session, didn't it? 6 points in 13 games before the rumors, 8 points in 3 games since the rumors.

Matt had 3 goals in games while playing much better before that Philly game.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

Not saying Dater's rumor did anything for him, as I don't believe that's the case. However, chronologically, AD drops his rumor on 11/9, Duchene proceeds to light it up over the next 3 games. And a I don't define a "breakout game" by someone just playing well, I think they have to score some points as well, which he didn't start doing until this road trip.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Interesting that he can actually play wing after all. Long may it continue.

I wonder, with return of Landeskog into the line-up, what will happen to Grigorenko? Will he return back to bottom six or will they keep him with Dutch/MacK and play Landy with Soderberg and Iggy instead of Comeau?

Would be very nice if he proved to be bonafide top-six player, so we dont have to play are key trio on the single line.

I think that will depend on who they decide to scratch. Street is the obvious weak link right now. I was really pulling for the guy. Have a soft spot for the midgets (I'm only 5'7"). But the guy is just too much of a liability defensively. If he is scratched then Grigo or Duchene will need to go back to center. Ideally Grigo stays with MacK and Duchene plays with Yeti though.

Grigo - MacK - Iggy
Lando - Yeti - Duchene
Comeau - Mitchell - Skille
McLeod - Street - Everberg
Martinsen sent down because of waivers

Or

Grigo - MacK - Iggy
Lando - Duchene - Comeau
Martinsen - Yeti - Everberg
McLeod - Mitchell - Skille
Street sent down

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Not saying Dater's rumor did anything for him, as I don't believe that's the case. However, chronologically, AD drops his rumor on 11/9, Duchene proceeds to light it up over the next 3 games. And a I don't define a "breakout game" by someone just playing well, I think they have to score some points as well, which he didn't start doing until this road trip.

3 goals in 4 games isn't scoring some points?

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
That's not the point. The point is he started producing and broke out of his funk well before the Dater column. That he's gotten even hotter since then doesn't effect that that the timeline simply doesn't fit.

Well I disagree. Go look at his game log, one can clearly see where the "breakout" is. I mean ffs, are we splitting hairs over this? When I even said that I don't think AD's rumor had anything to do with it? 6 points in 13 games before, 8 in 3 afterwards. THAT'S the "breakout" (in my opinion), you're not changing my mind (nor I yours, apparently).

Last edited:

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I think the rumours affected his play. I say good, it's about ****ing time. I like what we're seeing from Matt lately but it better not vanish when we need it.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Well I disagree. Go look at his game log, one can clearly see where the "breakout" is. I mean ffs, are we splitting hairs over this? When I even said that I don't think AD's rumor had anything to do with it? 6 points in 13 games before, 8 in 3 afterwards. THAT'S the "breakout", you're not changing my mind (nor I yours, apparently)

Looking at his game log is why I'm saying that the calgary game was his breakout game...3 points in 11 games before, 11pts in 6games afterwards. How is that not the "breakout"?

And you can't call it splitting hairs when it's the entire crux of the discussion about whether he broke out before or after the rumors.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I've always said he would be much better on RW than LW. He always attacks from that side even when he plays C. When he plays LW everybody is congested on the right side which leaves a huge hole on the left side of the ice. When he plays on RW the team has a much better structure.

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
I've always said he would be much better on RW than LW. He always attacks from that side even when he plays C. When he plays LW everybody is congested on the right side which leaves a huge hole on the left side of the ice. When he plays on RW the team has a much better structure.

So when he was played on the wing before (with Stastny at center) and sucked, it was because he was actually played on the wrong wing?:amazed:

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
So when he was played on the wing before (with Stastny at center) and sucked, it was because he was actually played on the wrong wing?:amazed:
Yes because he was always out of position defensively having to go from right offensive corner of the rink to left defensive corner. Also as I said it also left a huge hole on the left side in the offensive zone as most of the time all three players were stuck in the same corner. Look at him play especially in 2009 when he was tried on the LW. He was always always on the right side. Duchene was not comfortable on that side and it affected his play a great deal. as well as the team's play.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

His improved production and his improved play aren't necessarily the same thing. I saw a much different, and much hungrier player after the rumors came out, even though he had simplified and improved his game a little prior to that.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
His improved production and his improved play aren't necessarily the same thing. I saw a much different, and much hungrier player after the rumors came out, even though he had simplified and improved his game a little prior to that.

I would disagree with that, he got more confident as he got more and more bounces ot go his way, but he started playing better well before the rumors.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
That's not the definition of washed up. Once again, what a joke (your constant hyperbole regarding Iggy, not you).

Funny how one dimensional scorers, which is what Duchene has been throughout his career, are top6 players because their one dimension fits that top6 scoring role and are not suited for a bottom 6 role. And when discussing these players roles their lack of 2way play is excused because they are in a scoring role. But no, Iggy is a third liner despite being a 60 point player :shakehead.

How's Dutchy been a one dimensional top 6 forward?

He won't be hitting 60 points this year.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Yes because he was always out of position defensively having to go from right offensive corner of the rink to left defensive corner. Also as I said it also left a huge hole on the left side in the offensive zone as most of the time all three players were stuck in the same corner. Look at him play especially in 2009 when he was tried on the LW. He was always always on the right side. Duchene was not comfortable on that side and it affected his play a great deal. as well as the team's play.

I can't completely buy into this, but sometimes this type of thing is the turning point in a players production level.

We all know Mikko is better on the right side, we all know Mitchell is better at C, sometimes it does matter THAT much.

I think Duchene is smart enough to play either of the forward positions and produce when hes on his game, but I can't disagree with C/RW possibly being the better fit for the reasons you posted.

However you can't pin his past struggles on just that IMO. Combination of his line-mates, his emotional state, injuries, and coaching (Sacco) IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad