Matt Duchene appreciation thread.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
How's Dutchy been a one dimensional top 6 forward?

He won't be hitting 60 points this year.

Because he is just a scorer. He isn't good defensively, against the boards, etc. He is just an offensive player. He is a very good offensive player, but yeah, basically just one dimensional. He isn't playing for other reasons.

He is on pace for over 60. He hit 59 last year when you guys were saying the same thing. And isnt he more of a 2nd half of the year type player? Do explain, why won't he get 60 or at least close?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Duchene is good defensively and wins a ****ton more puck battles than he loses. Just because he's fast and can produce doesn't remove the other aspects of his game.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Duchene is good defensively and wins a ****ton more puck battles than he loses. Just because he's fast and can produce doesn't remove the other aspects of his game.

Aside from the year he was trying like hell to make the Olympic team, Duchene has been average, at best, defensively. It's not a strength of his, nor does it necessarily need to be. He just needs to "not suck" defensively.

I don't agree that he's one-dimensional either, much like I feel that D2M is taking his Iginla-hate to odd levels, because Iginla is still scoring, which is what he was brought here to do...so I'm not sure what the problem is

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Because he is just a scorer. He isn't good defensively, against the boards, etc. He is just an offensive player. He is a very good offensive player, but yeah, basically just one dimensional. He isn't playing for other reasons.

He is on pace for over 60. He hit 59 last year when you guys were saying the same thing. And isnt he more of a 2nd half of the year type player? Do explain, why won't he get 60 or at least close?

When someone calls a player one dimensional they usually mean he's only good at one aspect i.e shooting the puck,skating, passing or deflecting pucks. Think players like Holmstrom, Kessel, Hornqvist, Svatos, or Iginla now. With DUchene he's just as good as setting up his teammates as creating a scoring chance for himself. The offence can run through him as a opposed to one dimensional guys that need others to do the blunt of the work for them.

He won't get 60 because the holes in his game will catch up with him and he will slow down statistically.

@RL I don't hate Iggy I just think he's done and wasn't a good fit for this team to begin with.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I can't completely buy into this, but sometimes this type of thing is the turning point in a players production level.

We all know Mikko is better on the right side, we all know Mitchell is better at C, sometimes it does matter THAT much.

I think Duchene is smart enough to play either of the forward positions and produce when hes on his game, but I can't disagree with C/RW possibly being the better fit for the reasons you posted.

However you can't pin his past struggles on just that IMO. Combination of his line-mates, his emotional state, injuries, and coaching (Sacco) IMO.
Oh I wasn't. I was just comparing LW vs RW. He certainly has other issues leading to lack of consistency.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
When someone calls a player one dimensional they usually mean he's only good at one aspect i.e shooting the puck,skating, passing or deflecting pucks. Think players like Holmstrom, Kessel, Hornqvist, Svatos, or Iginla now. With DUchene he's just as good as setting up his teammates as creating a scoring chance for himself. The offence can run through him as a opposed to one dimensional guys that need others to do the blunt of the work for them.

He won't get 60 because the holes in his game will catch up with him and he will slow down statistically.

@RL I don't hate Iggy I just think he's done and wasn't a good fit for this team to begin with.

One aspect - offense. Use whatever criteria you like, but don't act like everyone else thinks just like you. As for Iggy only being a shooter and Duchene being a well rounded offensive player, well, how does Iggy have more primary assists and assists that were just a great pass, as opposed to picking up an assist on the cycle or something? Seriously, how many amazing assists has Duchene had this year? One by my count. Of Iggy's 6 assists 4 of them have been great passes and truly set up a goal. Iggy definitely needs to shore up the sloppy puck play, just like most the team, buts it's not like his puck skills are completely gone like you guys make it out to be. He is still making some damn good passes. So, by your own definition of 1 dimensional he wouldn't fall under that category.

So how did he get 59 last year, and 61 the year before. You guys have been saying the same crap since the day we signed him. One day you will eventually be right.

"And wasn't a good fit for this team to begin with"- and there it is. What you original thought is making you bias. You thought something at first and now have to stick to your guns.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
This just in: Matt Duchene is higher on the scoring list than RoR.

But we traded the wrong player!

trip trancid

May 23, 2015
good on him!
Take that duchene detractors! :loony:

Not a smart comment.

There's no point in escalating this. Most of the people expressing concerns about Duchene have readily acknowledged he's capable of going on hot streaks. So if he goes on a cold streak after this, you're not going to have a problem with people digging this up, right. Or let me guess, you'll try to play the "I'm a better fan because I cheer for Duchene and you don't" card.

I think every one is glad he's scoring more and, moreover, that the team is winning. There's no need to pick at scabs.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Mikko has been on the Left while tearing up the AHL...

In the AHL, was talking about how he played while he was up with the Avs. He was clearly better on the right than the left, that could change even at the NHL level obviously if he gets more experience.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
One aspect - offense. Use whatever criteria you like, but don't act like everyone else thinks just like you. As for Iggy only being a shooter and Duchene being a well rounded offensive player, well, how does Iggy have more primary assists and assists that were just a great pass, as opposed to picking up an assist on the cycle or something? Seriously, how many amazing assists has Duchene had this year? One by my count. Of Iggy's 6 assists 4 of them have been great passes and truly set up a goal. Iggy definitely needs to shore up the sloppy puck play, just like most the team, buts it's not like his puck skills are completely gone like you guys make it out to be. He is still making some damn good passes. So, by your own definition of 1 dimensional he wouldn't fall under that category.

So how did he get 59 last year, and 61 the year before. You guys have been saying the same crap since the day we signed him. One day you will eventually be right.

"And wasn't a good fit for this team to begin with"- and there it is. What you original thought is making you bias. You thought something at first and now have to stick to your guns.

They should:P

Seems like we disagree on what one dimensional means I think most would agree with my theory. Haven't really talked to anyone with your idea. This is all semantics anyway.

Never hid from my feelings towards Iginla whether they are justified or I'm being biased we will see I guess but so far it doesn't bode well for him regardless of numbers.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Not a smart comment.

There's no point in escalating this. Most of the people expressing concerns about Duchene have readily acknowledged he's capable of going on hot streaks. So if he goes on a cold streak after this, you're not going to have a problem with people digging this up, right. Or let me guess, you'll try to play the "I'm a better fan because I cheer for Duchene and you don't" card.

I think every one is glad he's scoring more and, moreover, that the team is winning. There's no need to pick at scabs.

:rolleyes:

obviously people are happy the avs are winning. I was more saying that from duchene's perspective. I'm sure he loves nothing more than to prove the haters wrong.
But you go ahead and continue to scream dutchy's flaws and whisper his accomplishments. This is the appreciation thread, you must be lost

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
duchene already has more points on PP this season than he had all of last season (7vs6, 7vs5 for just 5on4).

and twice as many goals (4 vs 2).

not related but just noticed only one forward who played 50 or more minutes on the powerplay last season didn't get a point. danny briere.

Boulder Avalanche

Pull the Goalie
Apr 9, 2013
Duchene and Kane have been the hottest players in the league. Duchene I can make more of an argument for because of his awful start. Only 4 goals off the league high and he did not score his first until well into the season.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
he did not score his first until well into the season.

He had 2 points (1G 1A) in his first 10 games. Since then, he has 26 pts (15G 11A) in 22 games.

Just for fun: If we wouldn't count the first 10 games and he could keep that (current) pace for an entire season, that would equal 97 pts (56 G 41 A).

ThatAvsGamer

Feb 21, 2013
Ontario
This just in: Matt Duchene is higher on the scoring list than RoR.

But we traded the wrong player!

Who Were there people who wanted Duchene gone and O'reilly to stay? All I seen was people that want to keep O'reilly.

Duchene is supposed to produce more than O'reilly. The fact that O'reilly is producing close to the same rate (same points atm) as Duchene, makes management look even worse for giving him up. This team would look much better with ROR.

Duchene and O'reilly comparisons are annoying

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad