Matt Duchene appreciation thread.

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
I'll probably regret bumping this.

But I do appreciate Duchene for what he is. If nothing else he brings it every night and always remains positive, something many of us could learn from. I am not blindly defending Matt Duchene, but there is more to hockey than just putting up points. The point production will come. Some may not like his play style, and that's okay, but I also appreciate that he plays his game and battles through it despite being frustrated. I don't know, maybe that's a negative, but I don't think so.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
In the first few games he wasn't very good and I thought he brought down his line. The last 3-4 games he has been much better but they just can't get anything to go. So IMO, the lack of production has been a combination of poor play from him as well as his linemates.

Rantanen is going to be the guy he needs on his line. The problem is he might not be ready for that until next season. Lets just hope they don't do something stupid like trade Duchene before then. I highly doubt that's something the team considers but I guess you never know if the struggles continue.

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
In the first few games he wasn't very good and I thought he brought down his line. The last 3-4 games he has been much better but they just can't get anything to go. So IMO, the lack of production has been a combination of poor play from him as well as his linemates.

Rantanen is going to be the guy he needs on his line. The problem is he might not be ready for that until next season. Lets just hope they don't do something stupid like trade Duchene before then. I highly doubt that's something the team considers but I guess you never know if the struggles continue.

Friend of mine asked me what the deal was with Duchene and if he would get traded. I'd say no, but Rycroft said O'Reilly would never be traded, so.....

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Friend of mine asked me what the deal was with Duchene and if he would get traded. I'd say no, but Rycroft said O'Reilly would never be traded, so.....

Yeah. I'm not saying he should be untouchable or anything but I think it would be a mistake to do it. I know people want a bigger two-way center here and I do too but I don't think Duchene necessarily has to be included to bring that player in.

El_Loco_Avs

Jul 6, 2003
The Netherlands

I feel he's been getting better but I still don't see those flashes where he suddenly created something out of nothing. We're going to need those REAL soon.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
So what's the feeling around here regarding Duchene? Will he pick it up soon? I have him in a pool and have the opportunity to replace him with Hanzal (which 2 years ago I would have scoffed at) and I'm considering it.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
So what's the feeling around here regarding Duchene? Will he pick it up soon? I have him in a pool and have the opportunity to replace him with Hanzal (which 2 years ago I would have scoffed at) and I'm considering it.

99.8% chance that duchene outscores hanzal this season. hanzal is also likely to pick up his annual injury that causes him to miss 15-20 games or so.

duchene has struggled, some is on him, some is not, too tired to type it all into one post. he'll get better, both on the ice and stat sheet.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I've been trying to think of who Duchene reminds me of and it finally came to me - Derrick Brassard.

That's neither good nor bad, though I do think the two would be good line-mates.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Hard to believe Sakic would be entertaining deals for a guy that's been so loyal to this team. The guy bleeds burgundy, has cheered for the Avs since he was a kid, and lets not mention how much he does for the community in Denver.

If he gets traded, I'll won't be watching for a while...

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Hard to believe Sakic would be entertaining deals for a guy that's been so loyal to this team. The guy bleeds burgundy, has cheered for the Avs since he was a kid, and lets not mention how much he does for the community in Denver.

If he gets traded, I'll won't be watching for a while...

That's all fine and dandy, but he needs to play quality hockey consistently, too.

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
I'm confused...do blackholes often lead their team in goals, and be second in total points scored?

Do you really believe Iggy's being playing that good? I wont say he's directly responsible for Duchene's first few games but he did not help at all either

Last edited by a moderator:

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Do you really believe Iggy's being playing that good? I wont say he's directly responsible for Duchene's first few games but he did not help at all either

He's not perfect, no, but calling him a blackhole as a means to justify Duchene's poor start is just a humongous exaggeration.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
draughts happen no matter who you are or how good your line mates are. thats just part of hockey. look at how Doughty and Perry started the season...
Im just glad that the Duchene draught is over. guy is a ****ing stud and all these fools on our boards with amnesia are finally shutting their holes which is nice

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I'm confused...do blackholes often lead their team in goals, and be second in total points scored?

Even a blind squirrel can find a nut. Iggy and Duchene just didn't fit and it took Roy 13 months to figure out what he should've known before they played a single game.

I blame more on the guy that knows about winning more than I blame a washed up player.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Is there anything Iginla doesn't get blamed for? :laugh:

Old guy who isn't a home grown talent just gets trashed non-stop no matter what.

Last edited:

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Even a blind squirrel can find a nut. Iggy and Duchene just didn't fit and it took Roy 13 months to figure out what he should've known before they played a single game.

I blame more on the guy that knows about winning more than I blame a washed up player.

What a joke.

That's one lucky blind squirrel.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Iginla is not washed up, he is just only useful in certain situations. He still knows how to bury a puck with the best of them. Unfortunately he can't win puck battles anymore, his skating has lost a step, and his defense can be lackadaisical.

He is still a good leader, and I'm glad he is on the team but he does need to be separated from both Duchene and MacKinnon.

Realistically, he should be playing 3rd line minutes, with 1st unit PP minutes. getting anywhere from about 14-18 mins a night depending on how many PP opportunities we get. At this point in his career he is just not the all around player that he needs to be to be a top 6 player on a nightly basis.

Moving forward I think you build 2 lines around the combos of MacKinnon and Landeskog on one line and Duchene and Rantanen on the other. With decent younger top 6 caliber players that can do more than just shoot the puck well.

Duchene and Iginla are just not a good fit. Duchene was a point per game player the year before Iginla, with Iginla not even close to point per game. Now the past few games without Iginla he has 9pts in 6 games.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Iginla is not washed up, he is just only useful in certain situations. He still knows how to bury a puck with the best of them. Unfortunately he can't win puck battles anymore, his skating has lost a step, and his defense can be lackadaisical.

He is still a good leader, and I'm glad he is on the team but he does need to be separated from both Duchene and MacKinnon.

Realistically, he should be playing 3rd line minutes, with 1st unit PP minutes. getting anywhere from about 14-18 mins a night depending on how many PP opportunities we get. At this point in his career he is just not the all around player that he needs to be to be a top 6 player on a nightly basis.

Moving forward I think you build 2 lines around the combos of MacKinnon and Landeskog on one line and Duchene and Rantanen on the other. With decent younger top 6 caliber players that can do more than just shoot the puck well.

Duchene and Iginla are just not a good fit. Duchene was a point per game player the year before Iginla, with Iginla not even close to point per game. Now the past few games without Iginla he has 9pts in 6 games.

He's good at one thing...which is the definition of washed up. We are paying a premium for a 3rd liner and it will only get worse from here on out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad