Matt Cooke spears Shea Weber then cross-checks him in the face

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I love all of the uber-self-righteous types pointing out "if this weren't Cooke, there wouldn't be a thread".

No crap. People like seeing Cooke pummeled. Probably because he's the dirtiest player in the league, and seeing him get fed his teeth is just good viewing.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
My guess is there some irrational hate in this thread. My other guess is that it's even worst because he's up against one of HF's golden boy.

I honestly don't understand the point you are trying to make other than to argue for the sake of arguing....

A lot of people hate Cooke. It isn't really all that irrational though, he has done PLENTY to earn it. And yes, HF loves Weber for the most part. People like seeing ******** get their face rearranged and karma do its work, myself included. It isn't rocket science to see why this thread is the way it is.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I honestly don't understand the point you are trying to make other than to argue for the sake of arguing....

A lot of people hate Cooke. It isn't really all that irrational though, he has done PLENTY to earn it. And yes, HF loves Weber for the most part. People like seeing ******** get their face rearranged and karma do its work, myself included. It isn't rocket science to see why this thread is the way it is.

My point is that this is a non-issue. People are acting like it's dirty because Cooke did it, but really this crap happens 100 times in a regular season.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
My point is that this is a non-issue. People are acting like it's dirty because Cooke did it, but really this crap happens 100 times in a regular season.

I agree it's a non issue, but it certainly is nice watching Cooke get some of his comeuppance

Marty Party

Back @ The Bridge
Mar 2, 2012
Nashville
ace.mu.nu
I think all this started when Cooke was tripped by Colin Wilson against the boards and didn't get the call. Then Cooke skates up behind Wilson at center ice and gives him a tap and says a few words. Wilson looks at Cooke like he's a crazy person and keeps skating. Shea see's this and bumps Cooke when he has the puck. Cooke then spears Shea at which point the video picks up the ending.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I don't think a single person actually likes Cooke. No place in hockey. Should have been banned years ago.

Very enjoyable watching Weber just drop him like that even as he turtles.

Last edited by a moderator:

2ka RasK*

I think it's a relevant thread for the simple fact that a lot of people, including some in the media that should have known better, championed Cooke as a changed man. Every slip by Cooke is Vindication. Good times!

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
I don't think a single person actually likes Cooke. No place in hockey. Should have been banned years ago.

Clearly they do, because he keeps landing contracts. When the hockey community as a whole decides they truly do not like somebody, they run them out on rails like what finally happened to Sean Avery.

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN

Which means what? Cooke didn't deserve a beatdown? You spear someone and cross-check them to the face, you deserve what you get.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
I believe this was the 2010-2011 season and the Zetterberg incident was in the 2011-2012 playoffs. Angry Weber used to cross the line from time to time. Angry Weber doesn't come out much anymore, and when he does he doesn't go full Hulk like he used to.

I do find it funny that some posters are trying to make Weber look like the dirty player in this scenario. Cooke got off easy after a spear and a crosscheck to the face all because Weber bumped him when he was trying to get possession of the puck.

Cooke's a pos, my post in no way is meant to defend him. But don't accuse me of "trying to make Weber look like a dirty player", I'm merely posting video footage, you can draw your own conclusion from it. Fedor Tyutin is not typically known as an agitator.

tampa pred

Jul 8, 2014
Cooke's a pos, my post in no way is meant to defend him. But don't accuse me of "trying to make Weber look like a dirty player", I'm merely posting video footage, you can draw your own conclusion from it. Fedor Tyutin is not typically known as an agitator.

I remember that game. I don't recall the specifics of the incident, but I know that Weber got pissed, blew a fuse, and took it out on the wrong guy (an innocent Tyutin).

While I enjoy watching angry Weber emerge like David Banner turning into the hulk, I can admit that he has crossed the line a couple of times in his career (Zetterberg face smash and the Tyutin incident). I don't consider a guy losing his temper a couple of times a decade a dirty player.

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
I love all of the uber-self-righteous types pointing out "if this weren't Cooke, there wouldn't be a thread".

No crap. People like seeing Cooke pummeled. Probably because he's the dirtiest player in the league, and seeing him get fed his teeth is just good viewing.

:laugh: This. I don't understand why people love to point out the obvious like it's proving a point. Anything Cooke does is going to be a topic of discussion because if karma is any bit real, Cooke is on borrowed time in the NHL.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
I remember that game. I don't recall the specifics of the incident, but I know that Weber got pissed, blew a fuse, and took it out on the wrong guy (an innocent Tyutin).

While I enjoy watching angry Weber emerge like David Banner turning into the hulk, I can admit that he has crossed the line a couple of times in his career (Zetterberg face smash and the Tyutin incident). I don't consider a guy losing his temper a couple of times a decade a dirty player.

He had a reason to be pissed. RJ Umberger boarded him, right in front of the ref, no call. Even RJ stopped, and bent over to see if Weber was alright, clearly not intentional, but still a penalty that should have been called. Then Weber just turned into a beast, and as time expired, found the nearest Jacket and unloaded on him. Fedor Tyutin was probably thinking, "WTF did I do?" :)

found a better clip, its shows the boarding penalty

RJ checking to see if Weber's ok:

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Weber is not a dirty player. He is a very physical player who has on very few occasions let his temper get the best of him. As in only a couple times.

Can anyone show me a physical player who does not get accused of being dirty? That's unfortunately the perception of the playing style. Weber when compared to other players is pretty clean all things considered.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
If there is any legit reason for hockey fans to hate the Canucks, it's for drafting and devloping him into an NHL player. Though the first clue to the rest of the league should have been when after 8 seasons they said "Here Washington, we'd rather have Matt Pettinger".

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Weber is not a dirty player. He is a very physical player who has on very few occasions let his temper get the best of him. As in only a couple times.

Can anyone show me a physical player who does not get accused of being dirty? That's unfortunately the perception of the playing style. Weber when compared to other players is pretty clean all things considered.

Yeah, there is definitely a difference between a physical player doing something considered "dirty" once or twice, and being a dirty player. I think most people can figure out which is Shea Weber, and which is Matt Cooke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad