Matt Cooke spears Shea Weber then cross-checks him in the face

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
I don't care whether people hate him or not. Doesn't matter to me. The problem I have is when the reactions to the incident have nothing to do with what actually happened.

A majority of the reactions have to do with the incident. Opinions have certainly been swayed because of Cooke and his well-known history. I guess I'm wondering how that isn't expected, but is instead somehow unfair. Every Minnesota fan should have known this kind of stuff was going to happen with Cooke, and they should have known reactions would be more harsh towards him than basically anyone else. It comes with the territory, and it's perfectly reasonable for the most part.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I've met Cooke. He's a piece of garbage. I don't care what the newspapers say about him away from the rink; he's trash and nobody will convince me otherwise.

There are no problems with the narrative. Weber hit Cooke when he didn't have the puck. No amount of bargaining will change that. Cooke jabbed him back with the stick. This happens 5 times a week in NHL action. Guy gets hit away from the puck. Whacks the guy that hit him. If that's a major for spearing, a new infraction will need to be invented for actual spears.

Weber's a guy whose game revolves around the fact that he's a big, nasty dude and he took exception. Got the stick high first (and yes, it was at head level to Cooke) and Cooke beat him to the punch. Then Weber beat him down. Weber could have been called for aggressor, which is suspendable, but wasn't.

Cooke could have been given 2 for crosschecking and 2 for slashing on this play, which is 4 minutes in PIMs. He actually got 7 minutes due to a phantom fighting major.

Weber could have been given 2 for interference, 2 for crosschecking, 2 for instigating, 5 for fighting and a match penalty for aggressor, but wasn't. He got 5 minutes in penalties and could have been rung up for north of 20. In terms of rulebook infractions, Weber is the one who got off light. Not Cooke.

The whole thing is business as usual in Campbell's garage league. It's a nothing sequence. Nobody's the good guy. Nobody's in the right. Just two meatheads fouling each other repeatedly. It happens all the time.

Like I said, if this is Cullen and Brodziak--and on another night, it might have been--there's no thread.
Weber catches Cooke in the ribs, even though Weber is taller, Weber's stick wasn't high on Cooke and Cooke made sure his was on Weber.

sp3xju1zyzqovywk8swz.jpg

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville

You can see what Cooke did at the beginning right before they both go out of view. He takes a pretty decent shot at Weber. Stupid move.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
If this is any other player fighting against Weber, it's a non-story, now that it's the terrible Captain Cooke, HF implodes.
Actually I'd beg to differ that if it was any other player, Weber would be taking 10 different kinds of heat about punching a guy three times while he's on the ice. Because it was Cooke, people applaud it. I think it would be a story, but it would be Weber looking bad.

Of course, if it wasn't Cooke, Weber probably wouldn't have done it in the first place.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
If this is any other player fighting against Weber, it's a non-story, now that it's the terrible Captain Cooke, HF implodes.

Again, how this surprises anyone I'm not sure, though there are more players in the league who have done things to draw the hatred of fans than poor Matt Cooke.

Also, HF seems to have not imploded.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Actually I'd beg to differ that if it was any other player, Weber would be taking 10 different kinds of heat about punching a guy three times while he's on the ice. Because it was Cooke, people applaud it. I think it would be a story, but it would be Weber looking bad.

Of course, if it wasn't Cooke, Weber probably wouldn't have done it in the first place.

But would he have done that still if it was another player? We don't know because he's not known for it. And most players respect him enough not to cross check him in the face perhaps? Webber plays the game hard, but clean and just goes about his business. He knows Cooke is a weasel and didn't even hesitate. Good for him. :yo:

David Singleton

Jun 23, 2005
Dickson, TN
But would he have done that still if it was another player? We don't know because he's not known for it. And most players respect him enough not to cross check him in the face perhaps? Webber plays the game hard, but clean and just goes about his business. He knows Cooke is a weasel and didn't even hesitate. Good for him. :yo:

Weber has a mean streak, there's no doubting that. If he thinks you have wronged him with an intent to injure, he will (for lack of a better word) snap.

Recall the turnbuckle smash on Zetterberg in the 2012 playoffs. Zetterberg certainly doesn't have a reputation of being a dirty player.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
So, Cooke does some questionable stickwork on Weber. Weber is not happy and goes in to give him a cross-check in the chest. After that Cooke blatantly cross-checks him in the face. Yet Cooke's cross-check is an accident. Much like his other deeds I presume. How much leniency can a repeat offender get from some fans?

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009

I can't think of any specific items from the game, but I would imagine this wasn't the first time Cooke was trying to get under Weber's skin nor would I be surprised if Cooke had been doing some chirping during that whole thing.

Weber does have a couple of incidents in the past that show he can lose his temper, but generally he stays on the correct side of the line. I still think Cooke wanted to try to take advantage of that by tapping into Weber's temper. Unfortunately for him it was a dumb decision which completely backfired.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
So, Cooke does some questionable stickwork on Weber. Weber is not happy and goes in to give him a cross-check in the chest. After that Cooke blatantly cross-checks him in the face. Yet Cooke's cross-check is an accident. Much like his other deeds I presume. How much leniency can a repeat offender get from some fans?
Another thing not to overlook is that Cooke's team was down 2 with 2 minutes left, the game had gotten away, and there could've been any number of interactions between the two of them over the course of the game.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Again, how this surprises anyone I'm not sure, though there are more players in the league who have done things to draw the hatred of fans than poor Matt Cooke.

Also, HF seems to have not imploded.

Oh, I'm not trying to defend Cooke or anything, it's just blatantly funny how people respond. Sheep mentality at its finest.

simpsons_mob.gif

This is exactly what they look like.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
My god there are some blind people in this thread and some pathetic Cooke apologists / defenders in here.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Looking at the Nashville feed, here is the complete sequence of events.

Weber hits Cooke away from the puck and Cooke gives him a little love tap. Should have been a penalty on Weber for interference and Cooke for slashing. Then Weber tries to crosscheck him in the head and Cooke responds by getting him first.

There's no good guy. This is just two guys battling. If it was Kyle Brodziak and Matt Cullen, there would be no thread because there's nothing out of the ordinary going on in this play.

This is just business as usual in Colin Campbell's garage league.

In what world does Weber try to crosscheck Cooke in the head? he's clearly and blatantly going for Cooke's chest. Meanwhile Cooke's crosscheck is clearly aimed at Weber's head from the start.

Now I know what it takes to defend a pile of genetic refuse like Cooke; you need to completely reject reality and create your own.

Nation

Oct 30, 2010
westcoaster
All giggles till he takes a run at your franchise player eh? Cooke is NHL *******#1. Getting sick of it, wait a sec, I was sick of it years ago and nothing has changed.

Privy

#ShutUpStu
Nov 25, 2011
You don't say...

I believe this was the 2010-2011 season and the Zetterberg incident was in the 2011-2012 playoffs. Angry Weber used to cross the line from time to time. Angry Weber doesn't come out much anymore, and when he does he doesn't go full Hulk like he used to.

I do find it funny that some posters are trying to make Weber look like the dirty player in this scenario. Cooke got off easy after a spear and a crosscheck to the face all because Weber bumped him when he was trying to get possession of the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00