Matt Cooke spears Shea Weber then cross-checks him in the face

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Weber is not a dirty player. He is a very physical player who has on very few occasions let his temper get the best of him. As in only a couple times.

Can anyone show me a physical player who does not get accused of being dirty? That's unfortunately the perception of the playing style. Weber when compared to other players is pretty clean all things considered.

Yeah, there is definitely a difference between a physical player doing something considered "dirty" once or twice, and being a dirty player. I think most people can figure out which is Shea Weber, and which is Matt Cooke.

Weber falls into the Shane Doan category. Ultra competitive, classy player, bad temper, crosses the line on occasions when he loses it.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Weber falls into the Shane Doan category. Ultra competitive, classy player, bad temper, crosses the line on occasions when he loses it.

As someone who criticizes Shea Weber a lot, I think it is unfair to Weber to be put in the same category as one of the most underrated dirty players in the league (in my opinion).

FishMonger

May 4, 2012
Los Angeles, CA

There is nothing classy about Shane Doan on the ice. He is simply a dirty player. His ability to slip under the radar will cease once he seriously injures people, which he narrowly escapes doing regularly, despite his actions.

But that's a different thread.

Oh wait, I just started one last week where he slew footed and bodyslammed someone out of nowhere. Because he was a losing.

Stay classy, Shane.

Cooke is worse, but lets not put halos on devils, here.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I thought a WWE player would handle that better in all honesty. He could've fought Cooke better than that. Little disappointed.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Cooke's a pos, my post in no way is meant to defend him. But don't accuse me of "trying to make Weber look like a dirty player", I'm merely posting video footage, you can draw your own conclusion from it. Fedor Tyutin is not typically known as an agitator.

Personally, I don't think we, as Preds fans, need to ignore the few things Weber has done which he should not have done. Punching Tyutin in the face over someone else (I believe Umberger, but it's been a while) hitting him into the boards and making him bleed? That's unacceptable. A lot of things shouldn't have happened. First and foremost, he shouldn't have punched Tyutin. Tyutin had nothing to do with it. Weber was pissed and hit someone. Second, Umberger, or whomever it was, should not have taken a run that late in a game. Third, the officials should have made Weber leave the ice because he was bleeding. If I recall correctly, there was a stoppage not long before that took place, and Weber was clearly bleeding. There is no way he should have been on the ice, yet he was. He was mad. He did something pretty dumb, and got away with it.

Weber also shouldn't have head slammed Z into the glass, and, as I said back then, Weber deserved at least a game suspension for that. At the same time, Z should not have hit Weber in the numbers at the end of a game that the Wings were obviously going to lose. Two players let their competitive spirit and emotions get the better of them. Z isn't dirty, but he wanted to win. He threw a dumb hit. Weber didn't want to let that slide, and he messed up worse with the head slam.

The thing is, when Weber goes off there is a reason for it. He may do something well beyond what he should have, but it was provoked. He doesn't go out hunting people. And the fact still remains that Weber's transgressions are few and far between. Cooke may have claimed to clean up, but he has no more room for something like this. He used it all up before he decided to "change." He poked the wrong beast this time.

BigBen

Dec 5, 2014
I agree with the second sentence, but Weber has had one incident. Shane Doan does something questionable every 2/3 games or so.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
I agree with the second sentence, but Weber has had one incident. Shane Doan does something questionable every 2/3 games or so.

He's had at least two incidents, to be fair. At least two in almost ten years, though.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Weber's mean streak is one of his qualities. I don't want it hampered or controlled or whatever. Teams know better than to get under his skin. Watch how players look to avoid getting into little skirmishes after the whistle. Not often do you find some one that will do what Cooke did and "kick the bear"

I remember a Dallas game in the past that Weber got worked up early and dominated the game physically from that point on.

Rarely do we get to see angry Weber, but when we do, it's a treat to watch.

BigBen

Dec 5, 2014
He's had at least two incidents, to be fair. At least two in almost ten years, though.
Yeah i definitely forgot about the Tyutin incident. Having a shady incident once every 5 years does not make one a dirty player. Yzerman was like that when he played.

Privy

#ShutUpStu
Nov 25, 2011
Cooke's a pos, my post in no way is meant to defend him. But don't accuse me of "trying to make Weber look like a dirty player", I'm merely posting video footage, you can draw your own conclusion from it. Fedor Tyutin is not typically known as an agitator.

I didn't intend on aiming the comment at you. I quoted the video and mentioned the Zetterberg incident to show that Weber hasn't really crossed the line in a few seasons and when he does cross the line it's a somewhat rare occurrence.

Sorry about that, I should have worded it differently to avoid the confusion. :cheers:

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
If people think Shea Weber is dirty, I would ask:

How clean do you want your defensemen to be?

Intimidation and crossing the line are an edge a defenseman can give himself and his team if he is capable. Sorry but I don't want a Lady Byng winner on my blue line unless he's very good.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
He's a dirty player, but it seemed like his stick might have rode up Weber's on that one. Not sure that he was actually intending to get him in the face.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
As much as I may like a lot of what Messier did, he was known to do some carving with a hockey stick and make full use of his elbows.

He knocked out Modano with a viscous elbow back in the 90's. There is a video of it on youtube I think. It also shows Modano on the stretcher and him falling off the ambulance still in the stretcher.
He also ran Trevor Linden into the boards while Linden was still down and about to get up. Great player, but holy hell one of the dirtiest players to ever play the game.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Matt Cooke needs a life time ban.

How many times must we say this ?
He has ended careers (Savard) or hampered a player's progression (Karlsson) in the past.
What's the next step ? Killing someone ?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I thought a WWE player would handle that better in all honesty. He could've fought Cooke better than that. Little disappointed.

No kidding.

When I see someone turtle, all I see is a nicely exposed spine to elbow slam, or an easily grab-able head to snap around like a calf. No one with a brain would turtle in a back alley street fight, that's for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad