Player Discussion Matt Boldy

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Boldy has flashed some high end IQ , skill, and productivity already. What's even more exciting is that I can see him adding other elements to his game(speed, physicality) once he fills out his long, lanky, frame. There are not many other 2019 draftees that I would trade him for right now. Seider and Hughes, for sure. Dach seems to have taken a step back, Kakko/Cozens seem like grinders, Byram has a worrying health situation. Zegras, I guess?

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Boldy has flashed some high end IQ , skill, and productivity already. What's even more exciting is that I can see him adding other elements to his game(speed, physicality) once he fills out his long, lanky, frame. There are not many other 2019 draftees that I would trade him for right now. Seider and Hughes, for sure. Dach seems to have taken a step back, Kakko/Cozens seem like grinders, Byram has a worrying health situation. Zegras, I guess?
Call me biased, but I have been a big fan of his since pre-draft. If he continues to grow his game, he has the highest potential in that draft IMO. Unique puck control and vision in a power forward frame and plays a complete game. Hughes and Zegras might have the better highlight videos but Boldy plays winning hockey so much better, even now IMO.

Reactions: zellmatic

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Call me biased, but I have been a big fan of his since pre-draft. If he continues to grow his game, he has the highest potential in that draft IMO. Unique puck control and vision in a power forward frame and plays a complete game. Hughes and Zegras might have the better highlight videos but Boldy plays winning hockey so much better, even now IMO.
I wasn't a fan of his originally. Just saw a big, slowish, passive winger. So many of his best plays are subtle, so you can miss them. I still have minor worries that he might end up being a tall Granlund, as his strength isn't obvious, but I was encouraged seeing him push over a player from behind in a board battle last game. Also, Granlund can only dream of shooting so well.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I was pretty excited when we drafted him. I thought for sure Vancouver would have taken him after Zegras was taken. I was dreading that we would end up with Podkolzin or Caufield. Was thrilled when Vancouver took Podkolzin so we couldn't.

Even then there was talk of him being more of a late bloomer than a lot of his peers, as he started focusing on hockey later than they did. That, and he had a pretty big growth spurt one year, from like 5'10 to 6'2, which might take him a while to adjust to. He'll still continue to add strength, so I'm not worried about that, but his combination of IQ, vision, hands and shot can be pretty lethal if nurtured correctly. I'm glad we're starting to see some of that growth. I mean this is even night and day from the player he was at BC already. Can only imagine what he can look like in his prime at this rate.

Reactions: TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I was pretty excited when we drafted him. I thought for sure Vancouver would have taken him after Zegras was taken. I was dreading that we would end up with Podkolzin or Caufield. Was thrilled when Vancouver took Podkolzin so we couldn't.

Even then there was talk of him being more of a late bloomer than a lot of his peers, as he started focusing on hockey later than they did. That, and he had a pretty big growth spurt one year, from like 5'10 to 6'2, which might take him a while to adjust to. He'll still continue to add strength, so I'm not worried about that, but his combination of IQ, vision, hands and shot can be pretty lethal if nurtured correctly. I'm glad we're starting to see some of that growth. I mean this is even night and day from the player he was at BC already. Can only imagine what he can look like in his prime at this rate.
Agreed. I never thought we'd get a chance to draft him. Thought he'd be long gone before our pick. I thought our chances of drafting him were the same as drafting Zegras... 0%. Thus the lead up, I focused on other players that were likely to be available. I couldn't believe it when he was still on the board at our pick! No brainer pick if there ever was one. IMO, the easiest pick choice this franchise has had since drafting Gaborik.

The kid's combination of size, skill and IQ are fantastic.

He's as smart hockey-wise as Granlund, much better shot, comparable vision and passing ability, all in a much larger physical package.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
His passing, while not quite Kap level, has been impressive to say the least. Not just the vision, but for a rookie to attempt some of the stuff I've seen him try and complete, with such confidence is awesome. I also never realized how big he is. Every time I see him next to someone else, I go 'Man that's big f***ing dude.' I saw him out there next to Greenway and he honestly didn't look much shorter. He gets some beef on that frame and he's going to really be able to push guys around. His work along the boards has been stellar. He's also noticeable in good ways most times he's on the ice. Really, really enjoy watching him so far.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I was thrilled when Boldy fell to us. Top people I wanted were:

Boldy/Caufield
Krebs/Newhook
I liked 3 of those 4. I've always been less than impressed by Caufield's total game...if he isn't scoring, he's not a NHL'er. I could see him being contained by NHL checking.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Once he gets stronger he will be hard to take the puck away from.
I was actually against keeping him originally. Figured I would prefer he tear up the AHL first. Now, I'm quite in favor of keeping him on the team. What a dynamic player. Yeow!

Easy..whoa
I get where you're coming from, because I'm from there too, but I'm honestly starting to wonder (then again, I was higher on Rossi than Boldy).

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Rossi needs time. It was blindingly obvious that Boldy had outgrown the AHL this year. he would've been up earlier, but for his couple of injuries.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
After years of watching Wild players over-handle pucks and over-deliberate on the best move, the number of one-touch passes and quick shots he gets off is borderline disorienting. Like he's constantly finding ways to be the tac in tic-tac-toe. It's refreshing.

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

guitarhunterdude

Jan 2, 2017
'Sota
After years of watching Wild players over-handle pucks and over-deliberate on the best move, the number of one-touch passes and quick shots he gets off is borderline disorienting. Like he's constantly finding ways to be the tac in tic-tac-toe. It's refreshing.
He tac'd too quick for the toe man a couple times last night and I'll never not find that entertaining. What a brain on this kid.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00