Player Discussion Matt Boldy

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Boldy in these first couple games looks like he has the potential to be a superstar. So impressed with how his skills have translated so far. Looks like a sure-fire top-6 forward already. Bug for this team.

Reactions: TaLoN

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
I wasn't able to watch the game closely last night. Does anyone have clips, recap, anything that show some of the Boldy highlights? My first impressions thus far:

• Boldy is huge. He's listed at 6'2, but he looks even bigger. He's still lanky but his frame looks huge, especially his reach. He's going to be really hard to get the puck from with that physical profile especially as he fills out.
  • Boldy seems like he has great vision/puck sense and is one of those players that look like the game slows down for them when they have the puck in the offensive zone rather than having their decision-making sped up.
  • I really like that he seems like he's the kind of player that likes to play a heavy possession game, hang onto the puck, and try different creative plays even if they don't work out.
  • Boldy may not have top-end speed, but his edge work, frame, and length allow him to create the space he needs in the offensive zone.
  • His presence on the PP is something I noticed in the AHL, but he's already carried it over to the NHL. He seems like he's really good at making quick decisions and keeping the puck moving, but also using his reach and puck handling skills to test angles and probe the penalty killing box forcing them to break structure. I've seen it early, but also from his AHL highlights I love that he also has a really great one-timer that it seems like he can get off if you put it anywhere close. If we have another player that can beat goalies with his shot even from areas outside of the slot tha's huge. I'm not sure that I know how to explain it, but it feels dangerous when he has the puck or he's playing a 2-man game with another player on the PP in a way that I'm not sure it does even with Fiala or Kaprizov. It feels the way I feel when Kaprizov has the puck with some open space on a rush or if he's protecting the puck behind the net.
  • I need to see more, but in general he seems like he's the type of player similar to Kaprizov where if he has time and space in the slot, high slot, or even around the dots in the offensive zone and can get a clean shot off... it's going to go in about half the time.
It looks like Boldy does still need to fill out in order to truly get to his puck possession potential. I've seen him fall to his knees a couple of times when he's protecting the puck and a player comes through him to try to separate him from the puck. However, he looks like he's legit already a top 6 winger if he's given linemates, ice time, and PP minutes.

I'm not sure he's the second best forward on our team. I think that Fiala/Zuccarrello are probably still better, but he's clearly a huge add to this team. He seems like he might already be at that Zuccarrello/Fiala level.

Reactions: zellmatic

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Good thing we couldn’t have used a guy like this against Vegas last spring, SMH. What a pla

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Boldy moved to the taxi squad today. Pretty sure this is just a paper move because they don't play until Friday.

Rossi was sent down to Iowa by comparison, so pretty sure Boldy is staying.

Reactions: HotDish

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Offer sheets though.

Probably not gonna be an issue given how rare they are and one of, and probably two of Fiala, Zuccerello and Dumba likely won't be here. Not to mention Greenway.

If it comes down to 22 year old Boldy and one of the older players, they will make it work.

Should be fine.

Reactions: zellmatic

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Probably not gonna be an issue given how rare they are and one of, and probably two of Fiala, Zuccerello and Dumba likely won't be here. Not to mention Greenway.

If it comes down to 22 year old Boldy and one of the older players, they will make it work.

Should be fine.

The original comment was a tad tongue-in-cheek. I'm not too worried.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
One thing I've noticed on 2 of his NHL points is the ability to no-look pass behind him, as he did on the give and go on his first goal, and on his assist tonight. Pretty cool and unusual skill. His peripheral vision must be great.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
Ignoring everything else he is doing offensively, it’s nice to see a rookie step in and be able to control the puck in the defensive zone on the wall, make a safe move but still control the puck, and spring a dangerous transition game. With the type of defensemen this team has that are returning at some point and being stapled to Fiala, that’s going to pay off nicely.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Am I the only one who regards Boldy playing on Fiala's line more as a test of Fiala, than Boldy?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Am I the only one who regards Boldy playing on Fiala's line more as a test of Fiala, than Boldy?

Just think next year we'll get to see a Boldy/Freddy G/Bjugstad 3rd line after Fiala gets traded in the offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad