Mats Zuccarello

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fanned On It

Dec 20, 2011
New York
I did too. Then I realized I found myself more panicked during games last year than excited. We'd constantly be in 1 goal games, or tie games, and we'd never be able to put a team away. We'd play conservative and teams would just attack and hammer away, making every game a panic ridden event.

In addition, I realize, I found it so fun to watch their games because I connected with the team. They stood for something. They played for each other, they fought for each other. We got to know individual personalities through HBO and started rooting for individual players based on how well we connected to them. I could have cared less the system we played last year because I loved watching the guys just go out on the ice and have fun. The winning was definitely a part of that.

But that's not to say the system is not boring, or that it's just not a good hockey system in general. Too many players put at risk for serious injury blocking shots like that, too much talent goes goes to waste, too many players have their confidence killed, we don't use our personnel efficiently... the list goes on.

You have the best goaltender in the league, you have 5 very solid defensemen (with Staal back) on the ice and a 6th who's more than capable of playing 10 minutes a game. In addition, you have like 8 players who have natural offensive goal scoring abilities (Gaborik, Richards, Nash, Stepan, Kreider, Callahan, Hagelin, Zuccarello). The system should reflect their strengths, not force round pegs into square holes. Best goalie and solid defense? Allow them to play their game. Pure offensive talent? Open the ice up, have them play an offensive system. Not everything is about defense. Instead, I'm watching Gaborik and Richards get bullied on the boards when they should be working magic around the circles. Not a good system.

And you think that's the "system's" fault? No... that's on the players. It's their lack of creativity that is forcing them to play that way.

BarbaraAlphanse

And you think that's the "system's" fault? No... that's on the players. It's their lack of creativity that is forcing them to play that way.

Ok, so if you have Gretzky in his prime on your team you force him to work the boards because thats the system you employ?

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Ok, so if you have Gretzky in his prime on your team you force him to work the boards because thats the system you employ?

In Tortorella's defense, the team is top 7 in total shots, top 10 in 5 on 5 goals differential and he can't shoot the puck for the likes of Gaborik and Richards that couldn't hit the broad side of an eighteen wheeler right now.

The Rangers biggest problem are between the ears of their money players (Gaborik and Richards) and their special teams play - along with having to play rookies at key times (JT Miller, Kreider) to replace veteran guys (AA, Dubi) and make mistakes.

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
In Tortorella's defense, the team is top 7 in total shots, top 10 in 5 on 5 goals differential and he can't shoot the puck for the likes of Gaborik and Richards that couldn't hit the broad side of an eighteen wheeler right now.

The Rangers biggest problem are between the ears of their money players (Gaborik and Richards) and their special teams play - along with having to play rookies at key times (JT Miller, Kreider) to replace veteran guys (AA, Dubi) and make mistakes.

this!!! people still blame the system.. its unbelievable.. how do think torts coached in 04' when he won the cup.. Richards won the cup with him being in his early 20s.. how can anyone say its the system thats making richards play bad or any player for that manner.. Gabs played in this system for over 3yrs now.. he may not like it.. but hes been successful in it.. soo all of a sudden we add Nash and its a big drama that torts has to adjust to his top heavy lineup.. thats the lame duck/easy way of thinking and not going to the source.. Rcihards and Gabs arent playing well at all.. Nash step hags callahan have been doing work all year now all of a sudden our system sucks.. richards get 12m a year 12m!!!!! hasnt even shown up for work yet.. saw a glimps here and there.. These guys have to take accountability.. they have to be better and grow a ****en sack!!! stop making excuses and blaming torts not the players themselves.. I am glad you understand.. people are shot on here!!

plus every game you know if stralman and ham are on the ice thats a guaranteed goal.. we need staal back desperately.. that will get the team going consistently..

BarbaraAlphanse

How many of these are quality shots? How many are legit scoring threats? Kreider could be really effective Tortorella knew how to use him. Gaborik has to finish more, undeniable, but maybe he would if he played with consistent linemates.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
How many of these are quality shots? How many are legit scoring threats? Kreider could be really effective Tortorella knew how to use him. Gaborik has to finish more, undeniable, but maybe he would if he played with consistent linemates.

Are you kidding? There were at least 10 golden opportunities in just the last two games for Gabs, Richards, JT Miller, etc.... where they not could have scored, but SHOULD have scored.

I won't deny that they've looked miserable at times this year but that's more on the play of their "big" players and constantly playing from behind (because they can't finish) than the product of a bad system.

KingStian

Jan 8, 2011
Zucc didn't seem as noticeable last night, but I think that was more because the whole team was very very good, and not that Zucc had a bad game by any means.

I think Ryane Clowe can turn out to be a great linemate for Zucc if Torts let the line stick together. He can make up for some of the pure lack of size with Zucc. Richards also looked really good last night. If Clowe is a guy who can finish the puck, and Richards (two assists last night) gets going again, that line can become lethal.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I thought MZA had a good game last night. He created some opportunities, controlled the puck and made some nice passes. That line of Clowe-Richards-MZA looked very good.

member 116805

How did he look on the PP?

I noticed we scored 3 on the PP but no points for zuke..

Only had 45 sec or so on the PP. The other PP line kept scoring hehe.
At the end of the game Torts let 4th line play the PP.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Zucc didn't seem as noticeable last night, but I think that was more because the whole team was very very good, and not that Zucc had a bad game by any means.

I think Ryane Clowe can turn out to be a great linemate for Zucc if Torts let the line stick together. He can make up for some of the pure lack of size with Zucc. Richards also looked really good last night. If Clowe is a guy who can finish the puck, and Richards (two assists last night) gets going again, that line can become lethal.

Agreed. Clowe is the epitome of what a guy like Zucc needs on his line. They really complement each other if both are playing their games, and it also helps that Clowe is a multi-dimensional player who can also create plays so Zucc isn't the only playmaking threat from the wing. If Richie is going you have tons of dimensions on that line- tons of playmaking, lots of scoring, an awesome physical presence on one side with two guys next to him who will absolutely flourish with the extra space.

Hope we see that line for a while.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Zooks was really skating in my opinion. He looked much faster. On one play he skated around the net half way to the point and hit a cutting Ranger cross ice with a backhanded pass. He did not have any points but his plus 2 was as high as anyone's in the game. He has not been on the ice for another teams goal in 3 games.

Last edited:

Kershaw

Zooks was really skating in my opinion. He looked much faster. On one play he skated around the net have way to the point and hit a cutting Ranger cross ice with a pass. He did not have any points but his plus 2 was as high as anyone's in the game. He has not been on the ice for another teams goal in 3 games.

He is a competent defensive player and he creates a lot of scoring chances. He reminds me a lot of Ville Leino.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Zuccs has been very good in the games he's played, IMO. He's doing a lot of little things that haven't translated on the scoresheet, and he's learned to be effective without the puck in the offensive zone. He made a great play on the McDonagh goal last night, driving to the net and bringing a defending player with him. Opened up the slot and Richie got it to McD. In.

He looks stronger and faster. I don't think he'll ever be a HUGE point producer, mainly because he doesn't seem to have much a shot. Hopefully he can work on it. Fantastic passer, though.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Zuccs has been very good in the games he's played, IMO. He's doing a lot of little things that haven't translated on the scoresheet, and he's learned to be effective without the puck in the offensive zone. He made a great play on the McDonagh goal last night, driving to the net and bringing a defending player with him. Opened up the slot and Richie got it to McD. In.

He looks stronger and faster. I don't think he'll ever be a HUGE point producer, mainly because he doesn't seem to have much a shot. Hopefully he can work on it. Fantastic passer, though.

I believe he has a surprisingly hard slap shot. I have seen it on a few occasions but that hurt wrist may hamper his wrist shots until surgery.

surf

Wheres the Reggae?
Oct 2, 2002
sea bright nj
I like the little guy.As long as we have guys like Clowe,Dorsett and Asham throughout the lineup I like this guys creativity.He looks much quicker this year too..Hes pretty fearless for a little guy too.

Colby

Mar 2, 2011
I'm glad that he's getting another shot. Here's his player comment from the 2012-13 Hockey Prospectus Annual at the start of the season:

Mats Zuccarello is five-foot-seven and 179 pounds. He has 26 points in 52 games but somehow did not manage to get in more than 10 games last year and is now out of the league. The diminutive Norwegian winger also had an 11.5 Relative Corsi (after 17.8 in the previous season), has produced well in limited power play time, and is 5-10 in the shootout. A collective miss for 30 GMs.

Kershaw

I'm glad that he's getting another shot. Here's his player comment from the 2012-13 Hockey Prospectus Annual at the start of the season:

He has been a dominant puck possession guy. The ice tilts in our favor when he is on the ice for the majority of his time out there.

It's early again this year, but he has the 2nd highest Corsi Rel QOC behind Benn Ferriero (who should be playing instead of Pyatt).

KingStian

Jan 8, 2011
I didn't see the Jets game, but I don't think he has even been on the ice for any goal against in the two other games at least. It's hard to call him a defensive liability in this stint.

Don't underestimate the time he spent in Russia for his development. He's a much better hockey player now than he was a year ago. The offence hs always been there, but his alround game seems to be stronger. He was never afraid to take the body before either, but his forechecking seems stronger now. The same for his skating. He seems faster now.

I think Zucc will be a NHL player next season, and I hope it will be for NYR. But the way he been playing, there is no way some team don't sign him if the Rangers dosen't.

Zucc36

Jan 8, 2011
I didn't see the Jets game, but I don't think he has even been on the ice for any goal against in the two other games at least. It's hard to call him a defensive liability in this stint.

Don't underestimate the time he spent in Russia for his development. He's a much better hockey player now than he was a year ago. The offence hs always been there, but his alround game seems to be stronger. He was never afraid to take the body before either, but his forechecking seems stronger now. The same for his skating. He seems faster now.

I think Zucc will be a NHL player next season, and I hope it will be for NYR. But the way he been playing, there is no way some team don't sign him if the Rangers dosen't.

You´re right. Zuke hasn´t been on the ice on ANY of the goals against in his three games..... A +3 in 3 games is great.
Should pick up 3 points against pens tonight though to keep up the pace to PPG :)

And I agree that he looks like a more complete player in the NHL this year. I believe this is much about confidence. You can see it in his face. He just loves playing for NY, he knows he´s good enough, and he know that he has contributed a lot, even if the points are missing. I think Torts sees this also. He´s not blinded by numbers, he sees what Zukes doing on the ice. One can make a lot of good plays that give goals, without getting points for assists. The only thing that "bothers" me is that I cannot find any confirmation that he in fact has to go through waivers if they decide to assign him to CT. He hasn´t reached 60 NHL games yet, he needs 5 more.....

I have a strong feeling that he might be a "late bloomer" that just gets better and better, and in a couple years we might see a Zuccarello as a key player for a NHL team.

Last edited:

fredrikstad

Jan 4, 2011
Norway

The Rangers are gonna qualifying him, so if the they don't trade him, he will be a Ranger.
But if they don't offer him a one way, I guess he's heading for Europe again.

But I really hope his gonna make it this time. The guy is leaving several millions on the table, to play for The New York Rangers.

Edit. For the record .This is just my guessings, not anything Zucc has said.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad