Mats Zuccarello

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Didn't he have a long stick at first the first time here but cut it/shortened it?

Also How long until new York shops have zuccarello tee shirts? I think they've had it in the past..

Yes he shortened it last time but it was still pretty long. When I was a kid I liked a long stick till coaches forced me to shorten it. They were right. It made a big difference for me.

zelrio*

I remember when any mentioning of Zuccarello would be met with insults about the intelligence of whoever mentioned him.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
I think he has better vision and natural passing ability than any other player on the team. Yes that includes Richards & Stepan.... It always bugged me that Torts was so reluctant to utilize him because of his size or perceived shortcomings in the defensive zone. I hope they offer him a contract and make room for him next season. He changes the dynamic of our powerplay and this team desperately needs 'playmakers' on the top 3 lines....

Crazed Beaver

Jul 3, 2012
Swamp
I think he has better vision and natural passing ability than any other player on the team. Yes that includes Richards & Stepan.... It always bugged me that Torts was so reluctant to utilize him because of his size or perceived shortcomings in the defensive zone. I hope they offer him a contract and make room for him next season. He changes the dynamic of our powerplay and this team desperately needs 'playmakers' on the top 3 lines....

How bout maybe we let him score a goal before we enshrine him and flood him with cash. btw he wasn't exactly lighting up the khl why would he fare better in a superior more physical league?

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
How bout maybe we let him score a goal before we enshrine him and flood him with cash. btw he wasn't exactly lighting up the khl why would he fare better in a superior more physical league?
He produced at roughly a 0,5 PPG when he played here. He almost single handedly made our PP look respectable, contributing with smart passes and puck creativity. It's obvious he has passing skills this team sorely lacks. It's all about if he can handle the rest.

In basically every season we've had roster changes after we've hit a rough patch that has turned the team around. AHL players or likewise who've stepped up and contributed to the team. At this point, considering the train wreck this season has been so far, I'm about to hope for any positive change. There's nothing wrong in hoping Zuke will make a room for himself on the roster and make our team better.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
He looks like he improved on his skating.

When he was here for his first two stints, he was clearly skilled enough to play at this level, but his combination of lack of size and lack of speed hurt him big time.

Now, his first step seems much more explosive and he's buzzing around the ice. He's also no pushover despite his small stature. He's no MSL, but he's a skilled player that might have a future here. Hopefully his skating is continually improved upon, because, if it is, I have hope for him in this league.

16 To Stanley*

When he was here for his first two stints, he was clearly skilled enough to play at this level, but his combination of lack of size and lack of speed hurt him big time.

Now, his first step seems much more explosive and he's buzzing around the ice. He's also no pushover despite his small stature. He's no MSL, but he's a skilled player that might have a future here. Hopefully his skating is continually improved upon, because, if it is, I have hope for him in this league.

Spot on. I was impressed with how he played physically (even if it was against MTL). He doesn't shy away from contact at all and he seems to be a much better skater.

I'm not ready to anoint him prince of NY, but it sure is fun to watch a guy that actually has talent and top notch passing. Almost forgot what it looked like in a Rangers uniform.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth

His vision/passing ability has always been evident and who said anything about flooding him with cash? I simply said I hope they sign him. Being is that he doesn't have much NHL experience it would be unrealistic to expect that he would command a higher value contract.

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
Took some penalties tonight but I still thought he was pretty good. Really good creativity from him. Glad he's back. Wish we never let him go to begin with.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
His vision/passing ability has always been evident and who said anything about flooding him with cash? I simply said I hope they sign him. Being is that he doesn't have much NHL experience it would be unrealistic to expect that he would command a higher value contract.

Some detractors have to go to extremes. If he is not Martin St. Louis than he is worthless in their view.

He is a good asset to have. He is helping the team and if we went to a shootout I have to think he would have shot.

noupf

Jan 31, 2007
I have to be honest.......... I am not convinced he really can bring too much to this team, but tonight he seemed to be a quicker skater and he made some nice passes with his vision on the ice. After seeing him try so hard tonight, I am pulling for him, but I dont think his enthusiasm lasts.

Two things though will make or break him as a ranger.....

Torts keeps too tight of a leash on him and he just doesnt end up putting up the points that his ability shows he may be capable of ( disclaimer: torts' system could affect his creativity and thus hurt his production )........or his size just keeps him from being a full blown nhl'er

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
He definitely has the head and heart to be an NHLer, physically can he take it?

The assessment on him is pretty easy I feel like. I'm not sure that Torts will even get on his case too much with the way things have gone, as long as he plays sound defensively.

Green Blob*

Just came in to say the same thing. His skating has DEFINITELY improved. He was a very average skater with us last time, but now he teams to have a new gear and can get around players. No he's still not a speed demon or anything, but he's got a little more speed and I like it.

Wolfy*

A new contract should at least match what he left in Russia, $1.7 million.

According to his agent Zucc is wanted around the NHL, but it is with the Rangers he wants to be.

Green Blob*

A new contract should at least match what he left in Russia, $1.7 million.

According to his agent Zucc is wanted around the NHL, but it is with the Rangers he wants to be.

If he plays the rest of the season like he did the first 2 games, 1.7 is a price that he certainly deserves (just try not to get 3 minors a game ;) )

Zucc36

Jan 8, 2011
Not that I think its gonna happen, but does Zuke have to go through waivers if sent down?

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
What's his contract?

How many more games between Torts' system gets to Zucc

:sarcasm: ?

Ilovemymum

recreational MD
Feb 17, 2010
750' one way - one month +. Funny how the situation is totally reversed since last time: now he's playing a lot, top line, in the final minutes of a tight game, after taking 3! penalties. A completely different level of trust than last season, and will be beneficial to all parties. Zuke thrives on trust, lots of minutes and good linesmates. Guess that goes for many players, but Zuke needs players with good sense around him. Now he seems to have it all. Feel a bit sorry for Kreider and Miller, seem to find themselves in a downward spiral when comes to trust and confidence. Can't wait for the continuation of this for Zuke though. He will have off days too, but very very happy one of them didn't come yesterday along with the three penalties.

Last edited:

Bardof425*

was at the game last night. He made that line go, with his smart plays both with the puck and without it. He is a very good hockey player; period. He's like Step on the forecheck; not lightning fast but takes great angles and makes the guy with the puck uncomfortable. And for the record Gabby was really going last night. If he continues to play like this he will score; alot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad