Mats Zuccarello pt. II - Thanks for signing a contract edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
The helmet gives pretty good protection in some areas but very little in the ear area. Zooks is such a tough guy that I knew something was wrong when I saw his face. I sure hope he is okay. He seems like such a nice guy and teammate.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Sometimes it takes a few minutes to hit you. When I played as a kid, I took a slapshot off the head, and I just felt jarred for a second. I also had a full cage then, so I'm sure that helped. Having taken a few knocks to the head, sometimes you feel pressure, as has been discussed. Wouldn't be surprised if he had a nice headache after that. I wouldn't put too much into him holding his forehead. That could just be a reaction to dizziness.

If it hit him above the ear, it could've knocked around the fluid in the inner ear, causing benign positional vertigo, which will contribute to some wooziness.

I'm hoping he's a-okay. Zuccs is really important to the team, but even more than that, you never want someone hurt.

Wolfy*

The helmet gives pretty good protection in some areas but very little in the ear area. Zooks is such a tough guy that I knew something was wrong when I saw his face. I sure hope he is okay. He seems like such a nice guy and teammate.

Yeah he'll be fine. Some people talk like he's half dead, don't listen to them.

I'm surprised he was still standing and could skate after such a blow to the head, tells me it could've been a lot worse. Praise his helmet.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I did some very amateur analysis on that Youtube video. Here are a few frames:

0cSJDkm.png

The puck is incoming in first frame, very near impact in the second (can't even see it), and rebounding in the third and fourth. I think it's pretty clear from the third and fourth frame (and also the sound in the original video) that the puck hit his helmet. If it had hit him in the jaw in that position it would not have bounced up like it did, and it's far more likely that Zucc would have had a very visibly apparent injury after the fact.

I don't know how to feel about this regardless. Player helmets are not designed to withstand direct impacts from big slappers. Hopefully he checks out OK and has avoided a concussion - scary stuff for sure.

Zucc36

Jan 8, 2011
I did some very amateur analysis on that Youtube video. Here are a few frames:

0cSJDkm.png

Yes, the puck is incoming in first frame, very near impact in the second (can't even see it), and rebounding in the third and fourth. I think it's pretty clear from the third and fourth frame (and also the sound in the original video) that the puck hit his helmet. If it had hit him in the jaw in that position it would not have bounced up like it did, and it's far more likely that Zucc would have had a very visibly apparent injury after the fact.

I don't know how to feel about this regardless. Player helmets are not designed to withstand direct impacts from big slappers. Hopefully he checks out OK and has avoided a concussion - scary stuff for sure.

The puck hit his helmet, 100% sure. If the had hit him directly in the face/head he would have gone down and not a chance that he could have made it off the ice by him self. Most likely he would have passed out. We are talking about a puck with a tremendous amout of speed here, and it is potenially deadly if it hits someone in the head without protection.

The fact that Zucc makes it off the ice by him self is indeed some good news, but it still is a big chance that he will be sidelined for a long time.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
The puck hit his helmet, 100% sure. If the had hit him directly in the face/head he would have gone down and not a chance that he could have made it off the ice by him self. Most likely he would have passed out. We are talking about a puck with a tremendous amout of speed here, and it is potenially deadly if it hits someone in the head without protection.

The fact that Zucc makes it off the ice by him self is indeed some good news, but it still is a big chance that he will be sidelined for a long time.

I didnt actually consider that, but take into account that people break both bones and fingers while blocking shots, its outside the realm of speculation to assume that the puck hit him in the head withouc zucc hitting the ice like a sack of potatoes.

Unless he is the terminator, in which case I assume he was taken off the ice so the opponent wouldnt see his metal skeleton.

As for the rubbing his face thing, if you get his in the head by anything bigger than a feather, you will rub your head

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I'm not sure what part of that looks like it would be a broken jaw whatsoever. It hits in the temple area. How does that break a jaw?

Jaw bone runs to above the ear and most breaks occur up high even if hit on the point of the jaw.

If it is a jaw break, don't assume he wouldn't miss any time. All jaw breaks are different.

Last edited:

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010
Jaw bone runs to above the ear and most breaks occur up high even if hit on the point of the jaw.

If it is a jaw break, don't assume he wouldn't miss any time. All jaw breaks are different.

He didn't break his jaw. He just didn't. So don't worry about it.

BarbaraAlphanse

If he was hit in the temple, then he absolutely would have had to have been taken to the hospital. Being hit on our around the temple induces a risk of experiencing an epidural hematoma. This injury varies person to person.

Pretty much it means there is bleeding between the brain tissue and the skull bone. If hit in the wrong spot with a certain amount of force arteries would tear and cause internal bleeding. Not everyone is knocked unconscious upon impact. Some people don't even experience symptoms for some time. But it is serious and definitely a reason to monitor someone over night.

If the puck hit him in the helmet, that literally could have saved his life. I shudder to think what could have been if his helmet was dislodged leaving that area exposed.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago

The Bauer 4500 or whatever its called these days is also the least protective helmet out there. Really thin padding on the sides under the relatively thin plastic.

But it's what I wear too because it looks good. :laugh:

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
I really feel sorry for McDonagh, talk about bad luck. But we all know he can't be blamed.

Him and Zucc are close friends you know, and McDonagh is one of those players who will travel to Norway this summer.

He also lifted Han's mask so he could get choked by a wrister. I think he just doesn't like foreigners :shakehead

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
I've taken some clappers to the dome. They hurt in the back or side of the helmet, but thankfully they've never caused injury beyond some surface pain. Then again, none of them were from an NHL player so who knows...hope he's ok.

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
Hard to get any really clear views of the impact. Looks to be right at the bottom edge of the helmet.
yeah, could be cheek, could be jaw, could be temple, and so on. All we can do is wait for official word (and i guess that the Rangers arn't exactly forthcoming with such info now in the playoffs).

Hopefully he just took a knock that will heal with a couple of days of rest.

FOD

Jul 26, 2011
hehe, but you must understand the mods as well. Without requiring sources, HFboards would end up a cesspool of rumors, hearsay and false information before long :)

Maybe some vets of this site can confirm this, but I think I remember a few years ago when Callahan blocked a Chara slapshot with his foot there was a rumor going around this site immediately after the game ended and before anybody had any updates that Callahan had broken his foot. From what I remember it was not confirmed by the Rangers until later that night or the next day.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
You have to be vetted with the Admins to post rumours without a credible source. The reasons for this are obvious.

For every 1 person who actually has connections, there's going to be 9 more people just making things up for amusement.

FOD

Jul 26, 2011
You have to be vetted with the Admins to post rumours without a credible source. The reasons for this are obvious.

For every 1 person who actually has connections, there's going to be 9 more people just making things up for amusement.

Makes a lot of sense.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City

And if they do, what's the damage? If someone believes "@RealTrustworthyIinternetGuy" that a player gets a season ending injury and cancels his season tickets, is it @internetguy's fault or his own?

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York

Okay first it's "rumors" in these parts. And rumors are just rumors no matter what ... Posting information on the other hand

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
It may sound a bit paranoid, but we have fake tweets and whatnot pop up all the time.

We can post things like "I think its xxx" and "It looks like xx" right? If not theres not much leeway for people to talk about anything until someone official comes along

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad