Player Discussion: Mathieu Joseph

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Yeah, if he can be a 30-35~ point guy that's be huge for us still..I wouldn't expect him to be at 40+ point pace consistently.

Coleman's and Goodrow's are a dime a dozen, those guys aren't worth overpaying for, their biggest value to us was that they cost 2.7m for both of them. Watching Bellemare/Joseph on the PK and Colton putting his body out there to block a shot in the final minute were the things Goodrow brought, those 3 combined make less than Goodrow right now. Killorn and Cirelli have easily made up Coleman's production with their play this year.

The hardest one to replace was always going to be Gourde and that was always going to come down to losing a good player due to cap constraints but to be honest, I really doubt having Gourde over Palat/Cirelli/Killorn/Sergachev this season really puts us any higher than we are right now.
I agree with you about Goodrow but losing the production of Johnson, Gourde, Coleman in combination with losing Kuch is troubling. No matter how much people like Joseph or Cirelli offensively they are not going to make up much of the goals lost. Now Cirelli has had a good start but we have seen this movie before. Perry, Belmare,ABB,Radish,Watch have all been disappointment. Colton has taken a step back. Getting Vasi on track has saved our bacon but how long can we expect him to be 1.59 GA like he has the last 10. We are finding a way to get to OT for But giving Away loser point or just getting one is a step back for this organization. It is keeping the team close waiting on Kuch to return, but on any given night we are now getting ving up a lead to let a team stay in the game. This is a slippery slope. There are no apparent solutions on the roster, andno room for player additions. The bottom 6 is a scoring train wreck Except the Big Rig that scoring machine. I like the guy but he's not gonna be a 20 goal guy. So i guess we continue down this road with a poor bottom 6.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I agree with you about Goodrow but losing the production of Johnson, Gourde, Coleman in combination with losing Kuch is troubling. No matter how much people like Joseph or Cirelli offensively they are not going to make up much of the goals lost. Now Cirelli has had a good start but we have seen this movie before. Perry, Belmare,ABB,Radish,Watch have all been disappointment. Colton has taken a step back. Getting Vasi on track has saved our bacon but how long can we expect him to be 1.59 GA like he has the last 10. We are finding a way to get to OT for But giving Away loser point or just getting one is a step back for this organization. It is keeping the team close waiting on Kuch to return, but on any given night we are now getting ving up a lead to let a team stay in the game. This is a slippery slope. There are no apparent solutions on the roster, andno room for player additions. The bottom 6 is a scoring train wreck Except the Big Rig that scoring machine. I like the guy but he's not gonna be a 20 goal guy. So i guess we continue down this road with a poor bottom 6.

Disagree with a lot of this. The Gourde line didn't score up a storm or anything. Will our scoring take a step back? Probably, but I think we are over-stating the problem when we act like they're irreplaceable. In the playoffs they mainly provided energy and tenacity. Yes, we're missing that right now, but some younger guys, Joseph included, look like they're beginning to establish themselves in a bigger role.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
We have a 9 game point steak, averaging over 3 goals a game while we're halfway through Kucherov's recovery and that's a "slippery slope?"

Not sure if you missed it but we don't need to score 5 goals a game, it's part of the reason why we have one of the best defenses in the league and the best goalie in the laegue.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
We have a 9 game point steak, averaging over 3 goals a game while we're halfway through Kucherov's recovery and that's a "slippery slope?"

Not sure if you missed it but we don't need to score 5 goals a game, it's part of the reason why we have one of the best defenses in the league and the best goalie in the laegue.
And as we speak we may have lost Point for a while too. Just denying that injuries happen with no depth to fill is fools folly. Do you think Heddy and Mac are going to play every game? Chernak is hurting us as well he may be back in a week this has hurt the offensive production of the D. If Joseph could step up scoring it would sure be great but his breakaways missing the net by feet or drilling the puck into the chest.

Yes they have had a good nt streak but again loser points
Hurt in the long term. Our PP us still a hit mess and if Point misses a chance no of gamesit will be worse. To contend in this league you can not ice three or 4yoyng forward and a couple of non productive veterans lol ng term that's where we are. The D depth is not as good as you propose Foote is struggling he will be fine but he's still young heck Sergi had made a number I bonehead plays this year that I though he was over. Vasi has been a wall for two weeks but got burned today against the Devil's.
I'm hoping there will not be a Point absence I guess we will see in the next few days.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
And as we speak we may have lost Point for a while too. Just denying that injuries happen with no depth to fill is fools folly. Do you think Heddy and Mac are going to play every game? Chernak is hurting us as well he may be back in a week this has hurt the offensive production of the D. If Joseph could step up scoring it would sure be great but his breakaways missing the net by feet or drilling the puck into the chest.

Yes they have had a good nt streak but again loser points
Hurt in the long term. Our PP us still a hit mess and if Point misses a chance no of gamesit will be worse. To contend in this league you can not ice three or 4yoyng forward and a couple of non productive veterans lol ng term that's where we are. The D depth is not as good as you propose Foote is struggling he will be fine but he's still young heck Sergi had made a number I bonehead plays this year that I though he was over. Vasi has been a wall for two weeks but got burned today against the Devil's.
I'm hoping there will not be a Point absence I guess we will see in the next few days.

Why are you crying about depth when we have the deepest team in the league? Like how exactly do you think other teams function if they lose 2 top forwards and don't have a McDonagh behind a Hedman..?

Seems weird you think a team is supposed to have every single position covered along with backups in that position incase of injury and still be under the cap.

The defensive depth is not good? Enlighten me, how many teams have a better defense than ours.

Reactions: Hoek and DFC

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Why are you crying about depth when we have the deepest team in the league? Like how exactly do you think other teams function if they lose 2 top forwards and don't have a McDonagh behind a Hedman..?

Seems weird you think a team is supposed to have every single position covered along with backups in that position incase of injury and still be under the cap.

The defensive depth is not good? Enlighten me, how many teams have a better defense than ours.

This. We were abnormally deep in the last two years. The stars aligned for that. Now we're on more of an even playing field with the rest of the best teams in the league, and we still stack up pretty well player for player.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
This. We were abnormally deep in the last two years. The stars aligned for that. Now we're on more of an even playing field with the rest of the best teams in the league, and we still stack up pretty well player for player.

We went on a 9 game point streak, are 5th in the league in winning % without Nikita Kucherov, 4 of those games without Erik Cernak and someone says we don't have "depth" is just perplexing to me.

Reactions: DFC

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
He's just laying out his case so that when we *gasp* don't win a third cup in a row he can say I told you so!

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Disagree with a lot of this. The Gourde line didn't score up a storm or anything. Will our scoring take a step back? Probably, but I think we are over-stating the problem when we act like they're irreplaceable. In the playoffs they mainly provided energy and tenacity. Yes, we're missing that right now, but some younger guys, Joseph included, look like they're beginning to establish themselves in a bigger role.

Just following up on this nearly four months later, having just now seen this comment:

Regulation goals over 82-game pace:

2019-'20: 280 goals
2020-'21: 255 goals (no Kucherov all season)
2021-'22: 263 goals (through 48 games)

So we're pretty much right where we've been from the last two seasons despite the off-season changes. Not bad at all.

Reactions: Hoek and DFC

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Just following up on this nearly four months later, having just now seen this comment:

Regulation goals over 82-game pace:

2019-'20: 280 goals
2020-'21: 255 goals (no Kucherov all season)
2021-'22: 263 goals (through 48 games)

So we're pretty much right where we've been from the last two seasons despite the off-season changes. Not bad at all.

I think there are some match-up concerns without the Gourde line, but we have had a few guys step into bigger roles than expected, most notably Corey Perry, and we still have most of the second half to come fully into form. I think we're in a better spot than we thought we would be at this point, thanks to a better start, and we did a lot better than anybody thought we would with all the injuries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad