Player Discussion: Mathieu Joseph

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Two things - First, has he shown he's developing well? He was an early cut in camp this year and does not seem NHL ready.

Second - I don't give two ****s about where someone was drafted. We have 8 realistic slots to protect - which of Stamkos Kucherov Point Cirelli Hedman McDonagh Cernak or Sergachev has he shown he deserves to be protected over?

1. Yes, he's shown he's developing well. He was one of the best performing rookie D in the AHL last season. He was an early cut because we are the Tampa Bay Lightning and like to slow burn our prospects, not a shocker.

2. You're being needlessly obtuse. I don't think we should protect him over the other 8, but he's someone valuable enough that you want to try and maneuver yourself in a position that you could. You're projecting two years out, it's pointless.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
1. Yes, he's shown he's developing well. He was one of the best performing rookie D in the AHL last season. He was an early cut because we are the Tampa Bay Lightning and like to slow burn our prospects, not a shocker.

2. You're being needlessly obtuse. I don't think we should protect him over the other 8, but he's someone valuable enough that you want to try and maneuver yourself in a position that you could. You're projecting two years out, it's pointless.

I want to see where Serg and Cernak are after this year. Foote could be the better D of the two when its all said and done. Impossible to know right now.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I don't know. If we're not at a point where the skating is a concern, then it's sort of like saying skating isn't a big deal in the NHL. And it is. I think he's gonna have to improve that significantly in order to just play in the league, let alone be an impact player.

It's not that I don't think he'll do it. Let's just say, there are legitimate reasons for concern. He looked, in camp, like a guy who's still more than one year away. And I think most people came away with a similar impression.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Two things - First, has he shown he's developing well? He was an early cut in camp this year and does not seem NHL ready.

Second - I don't give two ****s about where someone was drafted. We have 8 realistic slots to protect - which of Stamkos Kucherov Point Cirelli Hedman McDonagh Cernak or Sergachev has he shown he deserves to be protected over?

Pony up the $60 and get AHLtv, you can judge Foote for yourself. He's developing just fine and his skating issues are blown way out of proportion. He's good enough to play in the NHL right now, it just makes no sense to keep him up to play 12 minutes because we already have a damn good D.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
I think we'll clearly go 4-4 in the expansion draft and protect Hedman, McDonagh, Serge, and Cernak, and Stamkos, Kucherov, Point, and Cirelli.

I agree that’s who we would protect if the expansion draft was today. But McDonagh’s contract has the potential to end up really bad as he declines and a couple years from now I’m not so sure we don’t protect Foote over him, or even go 7+3 if some of our young forwards look more valuable. At that point McDonagh will likely still be good enough to be worth taking for Seattle, but he’ll be on his way down and we’ll have already gotten the best years of his contract while avoiding the worst and freeing a large amount of cap space. And if he doesn’t get taken then we just saved an expansion slot.

And again, I’m not so sure we’ll still have all three of Cirelli, Serg, and Cernak past this season, so depending on what happens next summer our expansion plans could change dramatically.

From the available, I would hope they want Johnson as a hometown boy and all of that, but I wouldn't count on it. I wouldn't mind a side deal to make sure Johnson is the guy to go, though.

Don’t see why we would do that unless his game has really gone downhill. With the cap likely going up a good deal by then his $5M will be a steal even if he slips a little bit; he’ll also have a modified NTC and given that quality center depth and goal scorers are always in high demand we shouldn’t have any difficulty moving him if needed. I’m fine exposing him in the draft but there’s no reason to pay to have him taken unless his play takes a drastic turn for the worse or enough of our young players turn out to be gems that we’re doing it more to save one of them than to move TJ.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I don't know. If we're not at a point where the skating is a concern, then it's sort of like saying skating isn't a big deal in the NHL. And it is. I think he's gonna have to improve that significantly in order to just play in the league, let alone be an impact player.

It's not that I don't think he'll do it. Let's just say, there are legitimate reasons for concern. He looked, in camp, like a guy who's still more than one year away. And I think most people came away with a similar impression.

As the RD in this system skating isn't as much of a concern though.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I've been more impressed by him this year than Cirelli. He's been dangerous in every game just hasn't been fortunate enough to get more production. He plays 5 minutes a game less than Cirelli and has 1 less point than him. Outside of the Toronto game Cirelli hasn't done much with much more ice time, he's the disappointment who needs to up his game.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He should be playing with Point or Kucherov. Somebody who's not so north-south. Him, Johnson, and Stamkos is just not a well-thought out line, IMO. Almost impossible for them to have any real chemistry. Maaaaaybe if Joseph can use his speed to gain the line, get to the corner, and then swing pucks out front for Stamkos.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I thought he’s been rock solid so far this season. Even when we were terrible he was always one of the few creating something or at least trying.
not saying he has done anything wrong.... i expect a jump 25 goals 50 some points consistently... he has impressed cooper which is good he has flashes but is not an every shift thing still falling down too often etc.. is nothing bad I just think he has more to show us...

as far as cirelli as others have said i question cooper there .... maybe this new system? point and cirelli were invisible vs pitt at times... are we doing something differently with our centers this year which makes killer with kucherov but cirelli trailing or playing back? this im not sure of.... if so dont like it... expect cirelli to have a jump too but if he is our defense first guy maybe expecting more points is too much at this time... im unsure we are 9 games in

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

“You don’t want to be the odd man out,” Joseph said. “And we all want to play, we all want to be in the lineup every night. I think you’ve got to work and you’ve got to earn it. That’s definitely what I’m trying to do. I want to be in the lineup every night, and I really want to help the team win and have success. That’s my priority.”

Now, he’s one of the last players off the ice, working with assistant coach Jeff Halpern after practice on subtleties of the game that will take Joseph to the next level: stick carrying, puck possession, receiving passes, positioning — skills that aren’t a part of usual NHL practices.
“He’s found his way back here, and he deserves to be back here,” Cooper said. “... He’s a pretty committed kid. He’s out there early, and he’s staying late and he wants to play. So he’s not taking this — if you want to call it (his) second opportunity — for granted.”
“Being in the bubble and not playing a single game, he just worked and worked and worked,” Maroon said. “He worked on his game, he worked on his fitness and got bigger, stronger, so I’m very, very happy for Mathieu. He’s come a long way. He deserved this opportunity. He’s playing really good hockey right now, and he’s getting rewarded.”

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Definitely feels like he's more in synch with his skillset this year, his feet were moving faster than his hands his rookie season.

Reactions: JoVel

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
He's looking fantastic this year. Really happy we got him signed next year for peanuts. He's showing great chemistry on the second line, third line, noticeable everywhere on the ice.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
dude's versatile as hell, fast, good shot. valuable piece anywhere in the lineup. on twitter i always complained last year about us not playing him enough, well now he's playing and he's playing well.

molotce

Apr 14, 2017
hey tampa fans, I've been able to watch joseph for sometimes now but not as much last 2 years, but everytime i did his skillset impressed me and i thought he could develop into a top 6 forward. what are your thoughts on his potential ? spot in the line up going forward ? thanks !

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
He still doesn't really have the finish or decision making to be a true top 6 guy imo but he is a pretty good tweener that can burn other teams if they're not careful.

Reactions: Peacefool

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He's a tweener for sure, he's playing great right now and still only at 0.5ppg, he's going to hit a slump eventually. Still, he was thought to be a 4th line guy but he looks like a solid 3rd liner now, he's pretty much replaced Goodrow and more offensively and defensively this season with his usage.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He's a tweener for sure, he's playing great right now and still only at 0.5ppg, he's going to hit a slump eventually. Still, he was thought to be a 4th line guy but he looks like a solid 3rd liner now, he's pretty much replaced Goodrow and more offensively and defensively this season with his usage.

I think 0.5 ppg is pretty much what he will be at his best, but the speed he brings can help in a lot of other ways. I like that he's a threat short-handed, even if he's not a great scorer. Still a "pretty good" scorer. I think as he settles into his new, bigger role he's going to be a key guy in helping replace the Gourde line's energy.

The other guy I'm looking at is Katchouk. I don't know if he will ever be much for scoring (maybe?) but he's a tenacious SOB to play against.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I think 0.5 ppg is pretty much what he will be at his best, but the speed he brings can help in a lot of other ways. I like that he's a threat short-handed, even if he's not a great scorer. Still a "pretty good" scorer. I think as he settles into his new, bigger role he's going to be a key guy in helping replace the Gourde line's energy.

The other guy I'm looking at is Katchouk. I don't know if he will ever be much for scoring (maybe?) but he's a tenacious SOB to play against.

Yeah, if he can be a 30-35~ point guy that's be huge for us still..I wouldn't expect him to be at 40+ point pace consistently.

Coleman's and Goodrow's are a dime a dozen, those guys aren't worth overpaying for, their biggest value to us was that they cost 2.7m for both of them. Watching Bellemare/Joseph on the PK and Colton putting his body out there to block a shot in the final minute were the things Goodrow brought, those 3 combined make less than Goodrow right now. Killorn and Cirelli have easily made up Coleman's production with their play this year.

The hardest one to replace was always going to be Gourde and that was always going to come down to losing a good player due to cap constraints but to be honest, I really doubt having Gourde over Palat/Cirelli/Killorn/Sergachev this season really puts us any higher than we are right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad