Player Discussion: Mathew Barzal

Status
Not open for further replies.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Yes, and it's not only straight line speed that Strome lacks. Compare him to Barzal and many of the young emerging stars and it was apparent that Strome did not possess good use of his edges and agility.
He was a straight line skater without exceptional speed. These kids have all the moves to tie defenders in knots, then they blow around them. That is Barzal in that group.

Yup. Though admittedly Strome ‘looked’ fast in the CHL.

Do think Strome has a better shot, slap and wrister.

That said, I completely agree w the overall sentiment. Barzal provides what we hoped Strome would; a dynamic presence as a 2C behind JT that could flirt w top line stature.

Reactions: seafoam

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
It's so odd to see the exact same sort of stat line translating to the nhl. I thought he'd be more of an even goal-assist split up here

Reactions: bigtim1988

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
It's so odd to see the exact same sort of stat line translating to the nhl. I thought he'd be more of an even goal-assist split up here

yea i noticed that also. I always wonder why that happens for some guys, or why some guys ending producing way more in the NHL than they did in lower leagues.

Can't believe how good this kid is. I don't think I've ever been this impressed by an islander rookie--including Tavares--and he really adds a dynamic to this line up that we've been missing since we've drafted Tavares.

No longer is it the case of "you shut down Tavares, you shut down the islander offense" Now teams have to be aware of two dynamic offensive threats, along with all the other complementary guys like Eberle, Lee, Bailey, Ladd, Nelson, etc.

scott99

May 13, 2005
yea i noticed that also. I always wonder why that happens for some guys, or why some guys ending producing way more in the NHL than they did in lower leagues.

Can't believe how good this kid is. I don't think I've ever been this impressed by an islander rookie--including Tavares--and he really adds a dynamic to this line up that we've been missing since we've drafted Tavares.

No longer is it the case of "you shut down Tavares, you shut down the islander offense" Now teams have to be aware of two dynamic offensive threats, along with all the other complementary guys like Eberle, Lee, Bailey, Ladd, Nelson, etc.
I also think he’s been HUGE for the power play lately. Just fun to watch. His confidence must be through the roof, like it was in the preseason.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
Barzal will make his wingers look good. still like to see him shoot more. I feel like players who just rack up assists actually have a defect in their game...if the skill level is high enough for passes then they need to be greedy and shoot more.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Barzal will make his wingers look good. still like to see him shoot more. I feel like players who just rack up assists actually have a defect in their game...if the skill level is high enough for passes then they need to be greedy and shoot more.

This makes no sense, guys who pick up a lot of assists enhance those around them, they are unselfish players and skate with their head up, our coach was one of the best in this category.... and there is a bearded feller in San Jose going to the hall of fame who is the king of assists.

You can't get goals without assists.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
This makes no sense, guys who pick up a lot of assists enhance those around them, they are unselfish players and skate with their head up, our coach was one of the best in this category.... and there is a bearded feller in San Jose going to the hall of fame who is the king of assists.

You can't get goals without assists.

While I agree with your sentiment and love that San Jose feller, you absolutely can get goals without assists. :laugh:

Reactions: TavHoSang

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
While I agree with your sentiment and love that San Jose feller, you absolutely can get goals without assists. :laugh:

Well breakaways and long slapshot but a majority of goals in the NHL have assists on them LOL... but I think we need to demote Barzal because he is an assist guy and bring up that kid in Bridgeport that has 7 goals and 0 assists LOL

The G Man

Feb 27, 2002
HF Old School
The guy has 13 points in 14 games, impressive in its own right. Even more so, when you consider he went scoreless the 1st 5 games of the year.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Well breakaways and long slapshot but a majority of goals in the NHL have assists on them LOL... but I think we need to demote Barzal because he is an assist guy and bring up that kid in Bridgeport that has 7 goals and 0 assists LOL

That's his old Seattle T-Birds buddy Scotty Eansor.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Barzal does have 31 shots in 14 games, if he plays close to a full season he'll hopefully get 15-20 which is really where his career average should end up (maybe a couple 25ish seasons sprinkled in, doubt he ever hits 30).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad