Player Discussion: Mathew Barzal

Status
Not open for further replies.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Taking off the Orange, blue and white glasses for a few seconds my question is:

In your expert opinion is Barzal ready for NHL time or does he need some time in the press box to see the pace and how games develop in the national hockey league?

or

have Gomez earn his paycheck and watch videos upon videos showing Barzal some things he needs to work on? Or does he need AHL time?

personally I see a kid that has an awesome stride, great vision, great edges that is finding his way alittle and may be tight. It wont harm him too much to have him sit a game or two to adjust?

thoughts? I know its early but fire the damm puck in the empty net and get on with your career son (lol)

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
I think he’s been fine so far. Removing him from the lineup would hurt the isles more than it would help Barzal at this point. On the empty netter, good hustle by Okposo, kid thought he had more time. Lesson learned, this isn’t the WHL, guys are gonna catch you. At least he didn’t Patrik Stefan it.

Reactions: Svengoolie

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
I think even a novice fan would agree that, watching this guy play, you can tell he just gets it. Always looks like he's thinking a step or 2 ahead when he gets the puck. I can't wait to see this guys creativity blossom as his game progresses. I think there will be missteps, but I also think he'll figure it out quick. Just seems like that sort of player.

Thank God the Oil wanted Griff!

Reactions: Svengoolie and dood

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Let's just give Barzal 18 more games to get his legs under him at this level and then evaluate him.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
The only way he is going to get better is by playing, allow him to make mistakes and learn the speed of the NHL by playing.

Last night was jitters.... first game in front of the home crowd knowing he's on the roster. Beauvillier had a couple ugly games early last year too.

Let's just give Barzal 18 more games to get his legs under him at this level and then evaluate him.

I think he'd be better off in Bridgeport right now. At least for a month or two.

I agree with all of the above. Would he better served starting in Bridgeport? Yes he most likely would. However, it appears that he can still learn and develop at this level. Some players do (fine or better) if they are challenged up to their comfort level limit.

As for the original post, should he sit up in the box? I think at this point he needs to play more than watch. Center position take a little more time than winger to adjust to. He also has beginner nerves that he is still overcoming. The thing with beginner nerves, is that they will always be their whenever you have your beginning. So it's not as if he can be protected from them with AHL or box time.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
He belongs in the NHL for sure. Of course, he is nowhere near the finished article but he will steadily improve. I think getting robbed of his first goal last night will actually teach him a lesson, and help him think quicker.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
He was very noticeable as a threat on the power play, at least.

I'd keep him up a few more before hitting the switch.

Baymen4

Oct 31, 2016
Think he's looked good, but not great. Wouldn't be surprised if the isles sent him down when Quine is healthy. Bottom line is the kid needs to start putting up points to stay on the team.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Think he's looked good, but not great. Wouldn't be surprised if the isles sent him down when Quine is healthy. Bottom line is the kid needs to start putting up points to stay on the team.

He needs to start putting up points when he hasn't played five pro games yet? Sheesh.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Barzal can play. He's an NHL player and will only get better. Same for Ho-Sang.

They are high risk players but will learn as they go.

That's what coaching is for.

They have above average NHL speed, hands and vision - the AHL have wouldn't help them much.

I rarely say that about young players.

Beauvillier is such a well-rounded player, he's already playing like a veteran in many ways. And he will also get better.

Someone teach Nelson to use his head and complete harder.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Barzal can play. He's an NHL player and will only get better. Same for Ho-Sang.

They are high risk players but will learn as they go.

That's what coaching is for.

They have above average NHL speed, hands and vision - the AHL have wouldn't help them much.

I rarely say that about young players.

Beauvillier is such a well-rounded player, he's already playing like a veteran in many ways. And he will also get better.

Someone teach Nelson to use his head and complete harder.
When Neslon got elbowed in the head he actually showed some grit and fight. I wish more players would take a run at him if thats what it takes to wake him up.

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
Im not worried a

Yes! Seems like thats the only thing that wakes his unmotivated arse up. If Im Weight i show that tape to Neslon and say this is how i want you to play son. Im sick and tired of watching him play like a
pusy.
I've seen some extremes on here but rooting for your players to be targeted is something new.

Reactions: MatthewFlames
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->