Player Discussion: Mathew Barzal

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I hope Barzal keeps this pace up and it's not Keller that I'm worried about for the league rookie leader...it's Sergachev..That kid is on fire on a really really stacked team...He could his ppg as a dman..That alone would kill any forward trying to go for the calder.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Barzal will make his wingers look good. still like to see him shoot more. I feel like players who just rack up assists actually have a defect in their game...if the skill level is high enough for passes then they need to be greedy and shoot more.

I disagree, and he is not just racking up assists. He has 3 goals in his last 8 games.

What appears to be happening here is this kid is creating space with speed and drawing opponents to him leaving his teammates open for shots.

Wonder if anyone talked about Wayne Gretzky’s flaws when he got 7 assists in one game. If Barzal nets 15 goals and 70 assists hopefully no one will be complaining here

scott99

May 13, 2005
He’s improving on his face offs as well. Lots to like about this kid’s game. Some of those passes last night were beauties. Man, his speed just opens up so much room. I would’ve been happy with a half a point pace, but he’s almost at a point a game pace. Don’t think he will keep up this pace, but he’s got 20 goal scorers on his wings, so should be amongst the rookie leaders in points and assists.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I disagree, and he is not just racking up assists. He has 3 goals in his last 8 games.

What appears to be happening here is this kid is creating space with speed and drawing opponents to him leaving his teammates open for shots.

Wonder if anyone talked about Wayne Gretzky’s flaws when he got 7 assists in one game. If Barzal nets 15 goals and 70 assists hopefully no one will be complaining here

Wayne Gretzky never got critiqued, he was lauded on how well he pooped in his diaper at 3 months.... the amazing thing about Gretzky for all the hype, and there was no hockey player with greater hype, he far surpassed the hype,

The G Man

Feb 27, 2002
HF Old School
Every news story about the game mentions how Barzal broke the NYI record for assists in a game by a rookie ... but I have yet to find one that mentions who held it previously? Thinking Stefan Persson, maybe? He set the NHL record for assists in a season by a rookie. Anyone know for sure?

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Every news story about the game mentions how Barzal broke the NYI record for assists in a game by a rookie ... but I have yet to find one that mentions who held it previously? Thinking Stefan Persson, maybe? He set the NHL record for assists in a season by a rookie. Anyone know for sure?

#99 had 7 assists in a game as a rookie on feb 15 1980

Spybot

May 12, 2014
Multiple people had 4.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Big help in putting the pieces in place.

It's always been JT and who? But now it's JT, Lee, Barzal, Bailey, Eberle and Ladd. Nelson too but everyone is playing in their spot and maximizing their potential in that spot. Now when teams face us they can look up and down the lineup and see the weapons.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

The one prospect in the entire organization the was off-limits in trades to me has been Barzal. If snow dealt him (and more) for Duchene I would've gone bonkers.

Thank god we still have him. If we lose Tavares he'd be one of the few glimmers of hope about the future.

isles55

Mar 7, 2015

Multiple people had 4.

Barzal set the Islanders rookie record for assists with 5.

He tied the Islanders rookie points record with 5. The last Islanders rookie to have 5 points in a game was Tavares against the Canucks. I'm not sure if any other Islanders have tied that, I'm assuming someone has.

Barzal is also the first Islander to have 5 assists in a game since Pat LaFontaine back in 1990.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
You guys should all chip in and buy Chiarelli a fruit basket or something; but knowing him, he'll probably exchange it for a Snickers

-a depressed Oilers' fan

We’ve been on the other side quite a few times with milbury. Chia at least has a cup and the oilers at least wake up everyday and still have McDavid.

Reactions: bigtim1988

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Barzal set the Islanders rookie record for assists with 5.

He tied the Islanders rookie points record with 5. The last Islanders rookie to have 5 points in a game was Tavares against the Canucks. I'm not sure if any other Islanders have tied that, I'm assuming someone has.

Barzal is also the first Islander to have 5 assists in a game since Pat LaFontaine back in 1990.
Trottier had 5 points.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
Went to see Barzal..he didnt disapoint. A lot of fun to watch live. Gretzky walked into elevator full of islander fans and nobody else recognized him. He looks the same as when he retired.

Reactions: MatthewFlames
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad