Player Discussion: Mathew Barzal

Status
Not open for further replies.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
What impresses me the most is he is quicker with the puck on his stick. His hands are lightning quick, just like his feet.

His line mates are having a tough time reading him bc he is so quick and frenetic our there; much like ho-sang. That’s why it looks like he doesn’t have any chemistry with his wingers.

Reactions: dood

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
people are criticizing Barzal? I did not see any of the pre-season games really and my one takeaway from these first 3 games is how good Barzal is looking, it is pointless to send him down, he is only going to get better by keeping him up

Personally I think Barzal may be running the first line PP sometime this year. possibly by Christmas. Playing
Watched most of the first 2 periods and for me he was the isles best players against the Ducks. If he keeps playing like he did against the Ducks the points will come. Not sure how to use him on the pp though as nothing is working. I would maybe try him at the circle to play with pulock so he can set him up for the one timer.

Personally I think Barzal may be running the first line PP sometime this year. possibly by Christmas. Playing him at the circle feeding a gunner like Pulock sounds great on paper. I would hope Gomez has tried this in practice no? playing that circle should open up lanes for Barzal all day and by the way some guy named Tavares will be waiting on the other side too.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Stolen from reddit:

164ttnnzcetz.jpg

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Class!

Man, I was a big proponent of going after MD and dangling Barzal for him, but I'm so glad Garth Snow (and other fans here) are smarter than I am. Guy is legit, and while I think he's destined to be an Adam Oates type playmaker, he's still fun as hell to watch. It actually makes my perceived loss of Tavares sting a little bit less because he's absolutely got 1C potential if need be. He'll be an awesome 2C behind Tavares though. As JT gets older (if he resigns here) I could absolutely see him moving to Barzal's wing.

Reactions: TommytheCat

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Class!

Man, I was a big proponent of going after MD and dangling Barzal for him, but I'm so glad Garth Snow (and other fans here) are smarter than I am. Guy is legit, and while I think he's destined to be an Adam Oates type playmaker, he's still fun as hell to watch. It actually makes my perceived loss of Tavares sting a little bit less because he's absolutely got 1C potential if need be. He'll be an awesome 2C behind Tavares though. As JT gets older (if he resigns here) I could absolutely see him moving to Barzal's wing.
Right now I am enjoying Barzal with his old Team Canada linemate Beauvillier and Bailey. They have great chemistry and are super fun to watch. A great trio to have out behind Lee-JT-Eberle.

I'm hoping JT stays, that would allow Barzal to really blossom without the pressure of having to be the top guy and gives us two legit scoring lines. Hopefully they can put Ladd with Nelson and Ho-Sang as the third line long-term, the forward group is almost set for the next few years with that group.

Reactions: bigtim1988

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Him and eberle really helped round out our top 6 thus far. He’s been all over the ice the past few games. Even if his production stays where it is right now that’s fine for a rookie center. That said if he keeps generating chances like this the points will keep coming.

Was really high on barzal in 2015. (Really just talked draft stuff with my brother whose a devils fan bc we had no pick.) We assumes they were taking a forward 6th and I kept telling him barzal is the right pick. Was pumped that we got him and even more pumped now.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
In his brief two game stint last year, he didn't have the confidence and comfort he has now. He's a completely different player than the kid we saw last year.

And he'll only get better. He'll put on his man strength (although I don't seem him getting blown away like I feared) and he'll learn to look to shoot a bit more.

I too was a Duchene proponent. I'm really glad we passed.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Still can’t believe the islanders actually Got a player like this mid first round. Feels good for a change

The Reinhart trade could very well end up being the Islanders second "big break" after drafting Tavares.

Barzal and Beauvillier are contributing as good as any first rounders we've ever had not named Tavares, and typically your Cup winning teams fall upon more than more "big break".

Factor in Lee looking like he'll get 25-30 again, Bailey looking to put up a career year, Eberle looking like a 50-60 point guy, and Ladd being better and the depth is there.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Love the kid but Duchene is still ahead of him due to his stellar FO%, something this team severely lacks. And I in no way am expecting Barzal to immediately improve on FO's, that facet of the game takes time.

Agree. Note that Barzal was solid on faceoffs last night and is at 54% in his last 5 games. He started slow, is about 47% overall and only gets about 7-8 faceoffs per game so far.

JT is 50% and gets about 20 per game.
Cizekas is about 51% and get about 15 per game.

Duchene is 56% and sees about 15 per game and league leaders are in the mid 60% range.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Barzal is so good that I actually get frustrated when Tavares can't just skate around/away from defenders like Barzal does.

Reactions: Strait2thecup

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
The Reinhart trade could very well end up being the Islanders second "big break" after drafting Tavares.

Barzal and Beauvillier are contributing as good as any first rounders we've ever had not named Tavares, and typically your Cup winning teams fall upon more than more "big break".

Factor in Lee looking like he'll get 25-30 again, Bailey looking to put up a career year, Eberle looking like a 50-60 point guy, and Ladd being better and the depth is there.

Just considering how Tavres's points have been disproportionately in favor of goals, he'll start picking up a lot more apples as the season goes on and many will go to Lee. I'd be pretty surprised if Lee doesn't hit 35 and set a career high.

I said it before the seaosn started, if Isles were healthy and got decent production out of the rookies, they'd have a legit shot at being a top 3-5 offense. Looks like that may hold true, with the biggest question marks being D and goaltending. THe D, although shaky at times in their own zone, has gotten better with the emergence of Pelech, and I still think there is abrightness to come for Mayfield and Pulock as regulars.

The difference between Isles being a fringe playoff team this year and being top 3 in the Metro most likely will come down to special teams. PP needs to stop giving up shorties, and PK just flat out needs to be much better.

You get the PP up to 17% or so and PK up to 83%, and they are gonna be a huge threat

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
He was the best player on the ice last night. Dazzling left and right.

among the ton of things I like so far about Barzal is he is creating chances when the game means something. Not garbage time. Taking this into consideration let's see when the NHL takes notice of how good this kid is. How Barzal adjusts and everything in between.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
among the ton of things I like so far about Barzal is he is creating chances when the game means something. Not garbage time. Taking this into consideration let's see when the NHL takes notice of how good this kid is. How Barzal adjusts and everything in between.

Great point. He's hustling out there, but he's hustling all the time. He was vulturing (word I made up) on other players all night.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I think part of the reason JHS wasn't getting ice time is that Barzal was filling the speedy RH zone entry dynamic kid role that JHS filled at the end of last season. Hopefully there will be room for both soon enough, and that will be fun.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
One thing thats really stood out is how well he uses his quickness to strip players while hes on the forecheck. Kid never gives up on plays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad