Player Discussion: Mathew Barzal

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
I'd say that's what the minors are for. Especially at 19-20 years of age. The NHL is for winning, not learning.
Who could possibly play instead of Barzal or JHS that would make us better? Nobody. Play the kids. They are fast, dynamic, carry the puck well and get creative. They need to get used to getting hit by grown men as opposed to kids in the CHL that never weigh more than 200 pounds. Aside from that they are going to make us a better team than last year. Maybe this is the first time we actually make a power move at the deadline? Certainly have ammo.

TommytheCat

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
I've seen some extremes on here but rooting for your players to be targeted is something new.
don't think he meant it like that ... brock got pissed and actually flattened someone open ice ... would be nice to see that night after night ....the chip on his shoulder that is

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
don't think he meant it like that ... brock got pissed and actually flattened someone open ice ... would be nice to see that night after night ....the chip on his shoulder that is
Exactly I've never seen that from Brock. He actually got mad and played with an edge. I don't expect him to be martin or clutterbuck but dam it show some intensity and will to win those corner battles and score those dirty goals in front of the net.

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
Keep him in the lineup and it will pay dividends by the end of the year. Besides I don't think he's been bad at all the first two games. Look at Beauvillier, he has arguably been our best overall player the first two games. Let him skate!!

Reactions: Svengoolie

Local290

Jun 28, 2016
If you accept this premise, you also have to accept that the GM hasn't populated the roster with acceptable NHL talent.

Barzal and JHS aren't acceptable NHL talent? Look around the league. I think it was something like 19 of the top 50 scorers last year were under 23. Isles fans have this stigma about young players.

Other than that late penalty and missed garbage time goal, Barzal has looked pretty good. He has set up a few really good scoring chances. Bailey has an open net but the puck bounces on him in game 1.

Reactions: Svengoolie

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I bet by his next away game he will be back to the guy we saw in camp. It seems like the opener was similar to a playoff atmosphere (in the stands).... that had to get his nerves up a little.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
I bet by his next away game he will be back to the guy we saw in camp. It seems like the opener was similar to a playoff atmosphere (in the stands).... that had to get his nerves up a little.
I was impressed with the crowd at the opener. Loud with lots of energy. Hoping to see that today.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
I'd say that's what the minors are for. Especially at 19-20 years of age. The NHL is for winning, not learning.

I think the Isles best chance at winning is with Barzal and Ho-Sang - granted there will be some growing pains. Their defense isn't great, especially if Seidenberg plays a lot, goaltending needs to be great, and Barzal/Ho-Sang/Beauvillier can be the Marner/Nylander/C.Brown infusion of skill needed to get to the next level.

I'm tired of seeing guys like Quine/Prince who are underskilled AND make similar mistakes, without the offense or upside. Or fill-ins like Kulemin, Chimera, that helps us with killing time but doesn't help us compete with top teams in the East, where there can be a huge talent gap.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
people are criticizing Barzal? I did not see any of the pre-season games really and my one takeaway from these first 3 games is how good Barzal is looking, it is pointless to send him down, he is only going to get better by keeping him up

Reactions: mm11

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Barzal and JHS aren't acceptable NHL talent? Look around the league. I think it was something like 19 of the top 50 scorers last year were under 23. Isles fans have this stigma about young players.

Nope. Those scorers you mention are obviously ready to play in the NHL. I don't think Barzal, Beau, Ho Sang are in that category. The original premise, that I've seen multiple times here, is that these young Islander players should learn to play the game in the NHL and be coached up. You know, so they're good by the end of the season. That's how you turf a season. You're not gonna get Tavares to stay just because Barzal learned a lot.

I think the Isles best chance at winning is with Barzal and Ho-Sang - granted there will be some growing pains

That's what I mean. If the team had a couple more real top 6 forwards, you wouldn't be thinking that. These kids would be in the minors or be put in less demanding roles. Barzal is the 2c. That’s a f***ing critical role for the teams success. It’s f***ing nonsense that he should be learning on the job as a 2c.

I'm tired of seeing guys like Quine/Prince who are underskilled AND make similar mistakes, without the offense or upside. Or fill-ins like Kulemin, Chimera, that helps us with killing time but doesn't help us compete with top teams in the East, where there can be a huge talent gap.

I'm tired of that too. I wouldn't consider those players acceptable NHL talent either. The team doesn’t have enough quality NHLers so they have to lean on talented, but inexperienced and developing youngsters.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Nope. Those scorers you mention are obviously ready to play in the NHL. I don't think Barzal, Beau, Ho Sang are in that category. The original premise, that I've seen multiple times here, is that these young Islander players should learn to play the game in the NHL and be coached up. You know, so they're good by the end of the season. That's how you turf a season. You're not gonna get Tavares to stay just because Barzal learned a lot.

That's what I mean. If the team had a couple more real top 6 forwards, you wouldn't be thinking that. These kids would be in the minors or be put in less demanding roles. Barzal is the 2c. That’s a ****ing critical role for the teams success. It’s ****ing nonsense that he should be learning on the job as a 2c.

I'm tired of that too. I wouldn't consider those players acceptable NHL talent either. The team doesn’t have enough quality NHLers so they have to lean on talented, but inexperienced and developing youngsters.

Take a look around the league, many teams have 2-3 rookies/Sophs making an impact.

What we know for sure is burying them in the minors will not help us win nor will it help them adjust to the pace of the NHL.

St.Louis had Barbashev and Thompson out there who are equally as inexperienced. Boston a few years back integrated Spooner and Pasternak who in many ways have kept them relevant.

The only way to learn how to play the NHL game is in the NHL. I'd rather seen them make mistakes and learn from mentors like Leddy and Tavares then skate alongside the likes of Gionta or another Journeyman.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
On the flip side had Allen not stood on his head today, the Isles would have won. This team played well enough to win today.
They even won on faceoffs. They just need some results on the powerplay.

I am not gonna bail on these kids after 3 games. The players are finding themselves as a team and will need to figure things out the longer they play.

They won't run into a goalie that hot every night and the results will come.

Last edited:

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Take a look around the league, many teams have 2-3 rookies/Sophs making an impact.

Understood. That doesn't mean that the rookies that the Isles have are the same. Nor does it mean that they should be expected to be impactful. They're 20.

What we know for sure is burying them in the minors will not help us win nor will it help them adjust to the pace of the NHL.

No, we don't know that for sure. They shouldn't be expected to help the team win at this point.

The only way to learn how to play the NHL game is in the NHL.

I disagree.

I'd rather seen them make mistakes and learn from mentors like Leddy and Tavares then skate alongside the likes of Gionta or another Journeyman.

I respect your opinion and it's valid. I'd rather see the team lean on excellent, proven NHL talent in the top 9 and "integrate" (like you said) the young players in while winning NHL games.

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
I'd rather see Barzal here centering Ladd and Bailey than Barzal centering Dal Colle and Steve Bernier(or whoever) at the Bridge right now. He's skilled enough where he should be playing with better players, not AHL players. I still think he'll improve quickly.
Besides, he's the least of our problems. The real problem is the PP, which should be QB'ed by one Ryan Pulock right now. Unfortunately, he's shown he's not close to NHL-ready at this point. Pulock's lack of development is hurting this team big-time right now. He absolutely should be sent down.

Last edited:
Reactions: dood

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I'd rather see Barzal here centering Ladd and Bailey than Barzal centering Dal Colle and Steve Bernier(or whoever) at the Bridge right now. He's skilled enough where he should be playing with better players, not AHL players. I still think he'll improve quickly.
Besides, he's the least of our problems. The real problem is the PP, which should be QB'ed by one Ryan Pulock right now. Unfortunately, he's shown he's not close to NHL-ready at this point. Pulock's lack of development is hurting this team big-time right now. He absolutely should be sent down.

He wouldn't clear waivers if we did send him down. He's more likely going to be a trade chip right now.

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
hes a little stupid in the D zone, but not a complete liability. Love his offensive instincts. He'll put up points soon enough

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
There have been moments in each game so far where Barzal has shown his potential with the puck, which is immense. Points will come. He's too good and he 's playing well. He's still adapting to the NHL speed, size and strength, and he's only played 6 pro games. And despite all that, there have been moments where you just go 'wow' - because he's doing things only a handful of NHL'ers do, his vision is great, and his puck handling is beautiful. I know people always like his skating, but against NHL'ers he still looks like one of the best out on the ice.

He's also showing toughness imo. He got rocked by that hit last night (Bieksa?) and came back into the game. The reason he got hit is that he was driving the slot to get a shot attempt off. That's the most dangerous place on the ice. You're gonna get hit. And when he came back, he was still driving to the net. This was a criticism those of us who watched him in junior had, that he needed to be less of a periphery player. So, this is a very strong sign to me.

Still has a ways to go to adapting some things you get away with in junior, off the puck and defensively, but he's a super smart kid, very coachable, it will just take some time.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
So far the biggest weakness I see in his offensive game is that his mind is going a mile a minute and he's trying to do things his body can't keep up with, so we see him stumbling a lot and making certain plays more challenging for himself. Eventually he'll realize he doesn't need to move that quickly and can still get by defenders and do the things he wants to do. Great skater, just needs to keep it simple sometimes and not overthink it.

Defensively his biggest strength has been his skating because he can close a gap down by the goal line and scoop up those loose pucks in 50-50 battles before anyone else can.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Agree with PKC. See the same thing happening to #66. They need to use their speed to give themselves more time to make a play instead of trying to do the impossible. The should watch Mika Zibanejad
They will get it.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Watched most of the first 2 periods and for me he was the isles best players against the Ducks. If he keeps playing like he did against the Ducks the points will come. Not sure how to use him on the pp though as nothing is working. I would maybe try him at the circle to play with pulock so he can set him up for the one timer.

Reactions: mm11
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad