Matheson punches Pettersson in the head from behind, body slams him to the ice. Pettersson concussed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Oh ffs...his shoulder was the point of contact on the ice and man up and learn to break your fall if you are made of glass.

MAN. UP.
How do you break your fall when your legs are pinned against the boards, and you are having your head pushed downwards? What part of your body is supposed to brace you?

Being slight is not an excuse to be thrown around willy nilly with no regard to player safety. As I've said the initial hit was fine, if he just let him fall on his backside no problem. He would be equally separated from the puck yet, not be possibly concussed. Matheson had revenge on his mind from moments earlier, and had no regard for Petterson's safety.

pomx

May 15, 2014
Absolute pathetic display from the Canucks tonight. I can guarantee you no fan is happy about how this team handled it. Disgusting really. I'd even go far as say this is Green's fault for no retaliation.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Roussel said in an interview after the game that they deliberately didn't physically respond cause they wanted to focus on getting two points instead.

Retaliating when your teenage rookie phenom gets injured off a stupid, reckless play by the opposing player >>>>>>>>>>> 2 points.

Hell, you can do both.
It's all a matter of situations, opportunities, and if they present themselves.

Reactions: slocal

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Well, at least when Tallon gets fired & Pronger takes over as GM, we know Matheson will always have a job.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
The extra after the hit was unnecessary and dirty, he should definitely have been called for that. Stuff like that needs to be out of the game.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Roussel said in an interview after the game that they deliberately didn't physically respond cause they wanted to focus on getting two points instead.

Retaliating when your teenage rookie phenom gets injured off a stupid, reckless play by the opposing player >>>>>>>>>>> 2 points.

Hell, you can do both.

I've got to say the canucks dropped the ball on that one. The canucks' chances of making the playoffs with a healthy Pettersson this year are probably less than 10%. Without Pettersson, which they are likely to be if hits like this are frequent, their chances are exactly 0%.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
The hit was fine, the "throwdown" was dirty though.

Lol theres nothing dirty about that. It's called Hockey.

I even saw that type of takedown happen in the Leaf game today. The only reason that isnt getting talked about is because no one was injured on the play

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Seeing what?

Did you see what Matheson did before the hit?!

RTeuW.gif

Swear to god he did!

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
The initial hit was perfectly fine.

The follow through to push him off balance and make sure his head hit the ice first was dirty, but I doubt the league will do anything. Pretty sure they did nothing when Weber slammed Zetterberg's head into the boards, so WWE moves are certified A-Ok in this league.

Canucks are gutless for doing nothing. We pay like $10M to random plugs because they're supposed to bring toughness and grit and protect the kids and when the time comes to justify their outrageous contracts it's a ghost town. Pathetic.

Reactions: peatmoss

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Maybe this year Matheson is garbage, but last year he was a pretty damn good player.

The hit is clean and fine. It's the slam that's unnecessary.

Though that use to be a common way to finish off a hit and I'm not even kidding.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
The hit was clean, however the finisher was uncalled for and something I’ve never seen before. That doesn’t look clean.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
He got spun by Pettersson, and it was pretty clear he was pissed and needed to "redeem" himself.

He got hit hard and put on his ass because this isn't ice dancing. And hitting is part of the game.

You wanna use your body to defend the puck? You are running the risk of being put on your ass. Hard.

CanuckGame39

Oct 13, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
I've watched the replay atleast 50 times. I dont see how people can say the follow through is clean
Initial hit is clean. The part where he drives him into the ice is dirty af.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Won't be surprised if there is a 1 or 2 game suspension. The initial hit was alright, but the throwdown was an add-on to the hit. Pettersson's in an awkward vulnerable position after the initial hit, then Matheson accelerates his descent to the ice. Easily interpreted as intent to injure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad