Matheson punches Pettersson in the head from behind, body slams him to the ice. Pettersson concussed

Status
Not open for further replies.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
There's nothing wrong with that play at all.

Yeah. I don't get it. I recall Hemsky being slammed much harder and nobody flinched. It was a hockey play. The throw-down was a bit unnecessary and if NHL wants to fine/suspend the player for such things... sure but then they would need to fine/suspend many players.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
The hit was clean, however the finisher was uncalled for and something I’ve never seen before. That doesn’t look clean.

You're kidding right? That happens literally in almost every playoff game

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
He got hit hard and put on his ass because this isn't ice dancing. And hitting is part of the game.

You wanna use your body to defend the puck? You are running the risk of being put on your ass. Hard.
Maybe your ass is connected to your neck, but I don't think Pettersson's is.

nuxnuxnux

May 15, 2011
Matheson had Petterson in a vulnerable position and didn’t let up, yeah shoving a guys head down when they’re on the knees as a stay down gesture is normal, slamming him into the ice head first when he’s lost his legs already is not, and that’s the only thing I’m mad about with this hit. You don’t intentionally try to injure a guy in a vulnerable position, that’s suspension worthy.

Bizzare

May 5, 2013
He got hit hard and put on his ass because this isn't ice dancing. And hitting is part of the game.

You wanna use your body to defend the puck? You are running the risk of being put on your ass. Hard.
Your ass sure, your shoulder/head? Shouldn't be...

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Pettersson has gotten hit a crapton, gets liberties taken him once or twice a game.

Matheson gave him a solid hit, then body slammed his head to the ice. That's different. you are ******ed.

Well ffs man. Where is your Mat Martin?

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
If it looks like that? Ya...it's on both Marner and Matthews to be men. I ain't gonna raw raw behind ice dancers.

Again, if you think this type of play belongs in the league, I really don't know what to say.

These type of plays contribute to long term head injuries and should be phased out of the game.

You can still have a tough league without players making stupid ****ing decisions like this. This is not hockey. This was reckless, if not a deliberate intent to injure.

Either way, he deserves punishment.

6 Karlsson 5

Aug 9, 2012
Hit was alright, probably shouldn't have acclerated into the numbers. The shove, push, whatever you want to call it was not clean. I really didn't think there would be much disagreement.

Reactions: Canucks5551

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Hit was alright, probably shouldn't have acclerated into the numbers. The shove, push, whatever you want to call it was not clean. I really didn't think there would be much disagreement.
It's HF bro. I've never seen a complete consensus on any hit. Especially one involving a Canuck.

Reactions: 6 Karlsson 5

Westcoastsniper

Sep 25, 2008
Intent to injure on the play, you can see he's frustrated even before that play happens. Think there should be at least a fine.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
The follow through is obviously the part that is upsetting: the slam was very dirty and in no way a hockey play.

However I am puzzled by people saying the initial hit was clean. It was clearly a hit from behind and boarding, albeit of a nature that is often uncalled in the nhl.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Guy was targetted.

You'll always have idiots like Matheson do that kind of BS when a young players too good.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
The response, or lackthereof, has nothing to do with the initial play. You can't take the affect and make it the cause.

Jackson14

Feb 23, 2013
Looks like a boy playing a mans game to be honest. Don't get me wrong the throw down on the ice was a little much but not that bad.

Reactions: Drytoast

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
After cooling off my take is that the throw down was super unnecessary and, visually, seemed to have an unreasonable amount of viciousness behind it. The impact could have definitely been exacerbated by Petterssons build (and almost certainly was) but I don't know how you cant see the intent as anything but malicious.

Green had a tough choice with taking the 2 points but I can't help but wish someone went after him. I suppose I don't blame him for stifling any attempts at retaliation, it was a tough decision to make.

Hope Petey is ok.

Reactions: Art of Sedinery

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Nothing wrong about the hit but the throw down was a bit much. Though Pettersson is really light guy so Matheson probably didn't mean to throw him that hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad