Matheson/Pettersson Incident | Matheson Receives Two Game Suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
The bottom line for a play like this is simple:

Did Pettersson have the ability to protect himself?

- Matheson’s stick was between his legs, effectively tripping him and making him lose his balance
- Pettersson’s back is to Matheson, making him unable to properly stand his ground
- Matheson shoves Pettersson to the ice with an extremely long follow through, placing all his weight on top of Pettersson’s head as he drives it into the ice

From my perspective, there was pretty much nothing that Pettersson could have done differently on this play to protect himself except “weigh more” or “not dangle the hell out of Matheson 4 seconds earlier.”

In today’s NHL, neither of those should be a prerequisite for not getting a concussion.

Last edited:

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
The "revenge" here is a joke. He glided into the boards and gave him a firm check, EP is so weak he popped into the air, and like every other NHL d-man has from time to time, he followed through on the check. This wasn't some head hunting play, he didn't board him, the follow through barely touched EP too, it was a glancing shove with one arm. Not the horrific choke slam of his head directly into the ice you guys are making it out to be.

I said it was a fine hit.
And you seem to denying the fact that Matheson got spanked and embarrassed all over the ice Pettersson.
You just seem to be denying how weak Matheson is as a "hockey" player.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
I hope Precious lil pettey learns not to turn his back and protects himself

would you blame the victim if it was Marner who got a stick between his legs so he was unable to protect himself when contact is made and then got thrown down to the ice?

why not hold plugs responsible for hurting other players instead of just telling skilled players "lol get rekt" when someone makes an illegal check on them? it's super toxic

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Two minutes for roughing or interference.

Not his problem that the kid is 160 pounds and dies from a hand to the chest.

Against the rules, yup; two minute penalty.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Here's just highlights of Gaudreau getting wrecked in various ways.

That Thompson crosscheck was nasty. Good on the Flames for coming to his defense. Would have been nice if our players did that last night.

I watched Gaudreau take a big hit from Virtanen just a few games back in Calgary, Jake even got a penalty on it. Still have yet to see someone pin/can-opener/slam JG after the play had gone by though.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I said it was a fine hit.
And you seem to denying the fact that Matheson got spanked and embarrassed all over the ice Pettersson.
You just seem to be denying how weak Matheson is as a "hockey" player.
I have Literally said multiple times in this thread that he got beat and has been beaten before many times. Like other young defenders he struggles with consistency. Facts escape you.

thunder16

Nov 18, 2017
Better sit EP against the Ducks. that is Luke Schenn's signature move. Be forewarned!

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
He needs to learn to duck like Barzal. So many players try to wreck this kid but he knows how to protect himself.... :laugh:

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
Niether of those plays are comparable at all. The Panthers tried to hit EP straight up in open ice like that and can't b/c he avoids contact so well.

Niether of those were hitting/pinning (which alone was perfectly fine), then slamming a guy down with a can opener, to deliberately lay him out after the play had moved on.

Seriously, what is a can opener?

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
The bottom line for a play like this is simple:

Did Pettersson have the ability to protect himself?

- Matheson’s stick was between his legs, effectively tripping him and making him lose his balance
- Pettersson’s back is to Mathewson, making him unable to properly stand his ground
- Matheson shoves Pettersson to the ice with an extremely long follow through, placing all his weight on top of Pettersson’s head as he drives it into the ice

From my perspective, there was pretty much nothing that Pettersson could have done differently on this play to protect himself except “weigh more” or “not dangle the hell out of Matheson 4 seconds earlier.”

In today’s NHL, neither of those should be a prerequisite for not getting a concussion.

Shh. Facts won't deter the troglodytes from defending their goon of choice. They should stick to old VHS tapes of Rock em sock em hockey, WWE, and that chainsaw scene from Scarface.

Reactions: nucks88

BigGulpsEh

Feb 20, 2017
would you blame the victim if it was Marner who got a stick between his legs so he was unable to protect himself when contact is made and then got thrown down to the ice?

why not hold plugs responsible for hurting other players instead of just telling skilled players "lol get rekt" when someone makes an illegal check on them? it's super toxic

I think the throw down was too much and matheson is a big baby for doing it. He was just upset he got dangled and flopping around.

I do think Pettersson isn’t physically strong and easily got manhandled

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006

Because it didn’t happen to their star player.

We as hockey fans should be interested in protecting all players from injury.

However people let their hatred and jealousy of certain teams cloud their judgement and end up being total hypocrites.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
This is a league that retroactively rewrites the rules to punish teams that work against the spirit of the CBA. How can the league not respond similarly when the safety of a star player is in question?

I don't know how people are not getting this. Pettersson will sell tickets and potentially generate 100's of millions of dollars in revenue for the league. Matheson will not. It should not matter if the rules have not been predefined for this incident. The NHL should concerned with protecting the health and safety of its star players.

Matheson showed complete disregard for the safety of a star player which resulted in a serious head injury. Hockey is not wrestling. This is absolutely not a hockey play and is not an assumed risk. In the real world outside the NHL this would be grounds for a lawsuit.

So, is fighting. And in the real world, if a person is shooting a hard rubber disk at me, I would also sue.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
As a Canucks fan I can admit this, he should have expected some form of contact and wasn't at all braced for the hit, which is why he was slammed to the ice in the first place.
Cheers, mate.

I suppose on the bigger ice of the SEL facing the boards is a lower risk play, but I shudder whenever I see NHL players do it. They should always be in a position to defend themselves when taking a check. Assuming an opponent will make the safe play is foolhardy, because sometimes they won't, intentionally or not, and when you're back is turned there's nothing you can do about it.

Again, I'm not blaming Petts for being abused like that at the end of the play, but some onus has to be on the player taking the check to defend himself properly.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
he'll get suspended for making a retaliatory hit after getting embarassed by EP, giving EP a can opener and forcing him downwards towards the ice resulting in a head injury

But if it the same thing happens to Clutterbuck does Matheson get a call? Of course not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad