Matheson/Pettersson Incident | Matheson Receives Two Game Suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Well he's travelling to Pittsburgh, and Benning just said he's probably not going to be out for too long. That's good news. Still not watching a single game from this garbage ass franchise until he's back.

Pathetic excuse of a team to think that a meaningless 3-2 win 5 games into the season is more important than protecting and supporting and exacting retribution for a 19 year old franchise player who got liberties taken on him. This sad excuse of a franchise has a history of this, and I've given them the doubt for so long until they brought in 11m+ worth of players that were brought in to protect.

Then celebrating as if they won anything significant... idiots.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Well he's travelling to Pittsburgh, and Benning just said he's probably not going to be out for too long. That's good news. Still not watching a single game from this garbage ass franchise until he's back.

Where did you read that?

And agreed. No desire to watch this team at all right now. Pathetic team. Embarrassing time to be a Canucks fan.

Reactions: EP40 AKA Lil Wayne

Benjo

Mar 25, 2009
Agreed let's not have another Bertuzzi incident. On the other hand Gudbranson needs to do more than look out for himself. He talks a big game about protecting guys but he only protects himself when he get challenged by guys like Hamonic.

A situation like this does set precedent throughout the league that you can cheapshot our young guys and that's just fine. Gudbranson should have squared up with him even if it meant 2 for instigating.

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
I understand, historically, there is an argument that this was not suspendible. I'm curious to see what violations the league lists if they issue a suspension or penalty.

The league is getting speedier, and has more small talent than before (it seems). More importantly, if the league TODAY doesn't penalize throw-downs to the ice like that it may be in a very actionable position as concussion lawsuits pile up (not talking about what used to be permissible in the 20th C).

My personal feeling is that the game is better when skilled players are given more space to play. I understand some prefer the old school physicality. 100% just my opinion, but I think the league will continue moving more towards the first kind of game. I hope EP isn't in a bad way - and that we don't see this happen to ANY team's players.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I think he should be suspended. The hit was fine, but the violent throw to the ice was not. It looks like Matheson also did a “can opener” type move, putting his stick between Pettersson’s legs before throwing him, so that he really couldn’t protect himself. It’s textbook roughing, which is illegal.

Also the context is important - this wasn’t an accident, Matheson is clearly pissed that he got dangled, went after Pettersson to hurt him, and did indeed succeed, concussing him.

It’s an illegal play (roughing), the intent to injure is as clear as you’ll ever see, and it caused a concussion. It should be a suspension.

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
I hope Pettersson is okay.

As for the incident, the hit was fine, but slamming him to the ice was too much. He deserves supplementary discipline, but I'm not even sure there is an established standard for this kind of thing.

Exactly. I'm curious what they will cite if/ when issuing a penalty of some kind. People will surely quibble over the minutiae of the rules as written, parsing the phrasing on and on. But the larger issue, I suspect, is that the league doesn't want to see young, exciting players get concussed like this. Period. And they'll interpret the rules to make that happen.**

**with undoubtedly very mixed and less-than-consistent results.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
If the league wants to send a message by suspending Matheson for something that is normally a hockey play that could put a smaller/weaker player in a bad position then so be it. Just be consistent moving forward.

That means when Shea Weber or Chara or Hedman manhandles a smaller player, that results in an injury then they get suspended too.

Kevs Security

inmateMack/CanesMack/LeafMack/elMacko
May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Matheson isn’t a scrub but it’s okay if you don’t know who he is.
I know very well who he is but Pettersson is on another planet completely when it comes to talent. There is no way Matheson brings as much entertainment value and excitement to the table as Pettersson, which was kinda my point here. Wouldn't like it if it was Marchand doing this either even if he's as good as EP. Words used in earlier post were due to my disappointment since I love watching EP's play.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
What’s the standard again? Phone hearing means 2 games or less? More for in person?

All it means is he can't be suspended for more then 5 games.

There's no required minimum penalty for a phone hearing, though usually the player will get at least a fine if the DoPS is going through the effort to have a phone hearing.

Reactions: tucker3434

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I know very well who he is but Pettersson is on another planet completely when it comes to talent. There is no way Matheson brings as much entertainment value and excitement to the table as Pettersson, which was kinda my point here. Wouldn't like it if it was Marchand doing this either even if he's as good as EP. Words used in earlier post were due to my disappointment since I love watching EP's play.
You should protect all players by consistently enforcing rules. The rules should be consistent regardless of superstar status or journey man call up. you want special treatment for better players

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
If the league wants to send a message by suspending Matheson for something that is normally a hockey play that could put a smaller/weaker player in a bad position then so be it. Just be consistent moving forward.

That means when Shea Weber or Chara or Hedman manhandles a smaller player, that results in an injury then they get suspended too.
Slamming a player head-first into the ice is a hockey play?

New one on me.

Why the ref who was standing right there didn't call anything though is beyond me.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I hope Pettersson is okay.

As for the incident, the hit was fine, but slamming him to the ice was too much. He deserves supplementary discipline, but I'm not even sure there is an established standard for this kind of thing.

Classic case of the NHL discipline being tied to the result and not the action. Matheson didn't do anything that doesn't happen every night in the NHL. Players give an extra shot or shove all the time after a hit. It's unfortunate that Pettersson went down like that and I hope he's OK but I doubt even Matheson expected to be able to manhandle the guy so easily.

This is a 2 minute roughing incident AT WORST.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->