Matheson/Pettersson Incident | Matheson Receives Two Game Suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
You can get a concussion from whiplash alone. I'm not even sure his head hit the ice, and if it did it wasn't "slammed into the ice", it was a byproduct of his body hitting the ice. It was a cheap move, but all the "choke slam" and "slamming his head into the ice" rhetoric is ridiculous and blatantly untrue.
Of course, here comes the hischier dude and tries to make excuses. Not sure his head hit the ice. What are you on?

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
Elias Pettersson - 176 lbs
Mitch Marner - 175 lbs
Nico Hischier - 175 lbs
Sebastian Aho - 172 lbs
Nikolaj Ehlers - 172 lbs
Johnny Gaudreau - 165 lbs

Tell me more about how the NHL isn’t a place for smaller, skilled players.

This could’ve happened to any one of these stars. The NHL needs to protect the players who make this game fun to watch.

That, and it needs to have better optics to protect itself from legal issues going forward. Ignorance in the 20th century will provide them some cover on post-playing career concussion issues. But throw-downs like the one we saw last night will need to be penalized if they want any credibility about addressing the issue in the present.

People can grumble about how "soft" the game is getting or spout garbage like "welcome to the NHL". Money talks. Whether it's fear of potential lawsuit losses, or loss of revenue because marquee talent is injured, choosing to retire early, or play elsewhere, I think the league is going come down on this sort of thing more.

(Though, again, they will probably be maddeningly inconsistent in how they do it.)

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
I don't live in Florida.

No I'm not. You're conflating a hockey play that is borderline roughing with an intent to injure because you're being emotional. You guys are unhinged.

A physically immature/weak player got manhandled. That happens. Unfortunately the outcome was probably an injury.
Go back to wrestling. If you can rationalize Matheso , you can rationalize a hitting your opponent with a folding chair.

Rehabguy

Oct 2, 2011
I don't get it. Haven't read any of your posts this just looks like a hard check, yes with a little throw down motion but I don't see the intent to injure. The kid just fell awkwardly and might have gotten concussed, because he fell awkwardly, not because the defender intended to injure him. What is this sport coming to?

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
I don't live in Florida.

No I'm not. You're conflating a hockey play that is borderline roughing with an intent to injure because you're being emotional. You guys are unhinged.

A physically immature/weak player got manhandled. That happens. Unfortunately the outcome was probably an injury.

Funny you could also use that description of Pettersson embarrassing Matheson on the ice playing actual hockey.

Reactions: sexydonut

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Still dont understand how this warrants a suspension. It's a penalty for sure and a very unfortunate injury but thats it. Nothing further.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Go back to wrestling. If you can rationalize Matheso , you can rationalize a hitting your opponent with a folding chair.
Hockey is a physical sport. Maybe you should watch golf. It's not rationalizing it's explaining the facts.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Funny you could also use that description of Pettersson embarrassing Matheson on the ice playing actual hockey.
Hockey involves skill and physical play. Not all players are equal. There is certainly a physical element that you don't get to ignore to fit your argument. Peterson is objectively a small player/weak for his height.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Of course, he comes the hischier dude and tries to make excuses. Not sure his head hit the ice. What are you on?
"Here comes", I posted pretty reasonable positions in the last thread and was watching this game, but thanks for your input. Being a fan of Hischier doesn't mean I dislike or hate Pettersson as you seem to think, and it definitely doesn't impact my objectivity to a hit.

It's difficult to tell from any of the angles whether the side of his head actually slams into the ice, because he landed on his side and the net is obstructing the view a bit. It may have, but it's not required to give him a concussion, you can get one just from the whiplash of his head quickly moving and stopping. Either way, that isn't the point, his head wasn't "slammed into the ice" by Matheson as people keep claiming, he was thrown into the ice by him and it resulted in a head injury.

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
You can land on your side or shoulder and hit your head on the ice. It's not the same as slamming your head into the ice. There are differences and they matter.

Have you watched the entire play? Do you think there was intent to injure or not?

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
That, and it needs to have better optics to protect itself from legal issues going forward. Ignorance in the 20th century will provide them some cover on post-playing career concussion issues. But throw-downs like the one we saw last night will need to be penalized if they want any credibility about addressing the issue in the present.

People can grumble about how "soft" the game is getting or spout garbage like "welcome to the NHL". Money talks. Whether it's fear of potential lawsuit losses, or loss of revenue because marquee talent is injured, choosing to retire early, or play elsewhere, I think the league is going come down on this sort of thing more.

(Though, again, they will probably be maddeningly inconsistent in how they do it.)

The concussion thing is absolutely killing the NFL.

If the NHL loses a big concussion lawsuit, they are in serious financial trouble: https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.tsn...ncussion-lawsuit-judge-says-1.1168026?tsn-amp
They are already exhausting all their cards, they cannot claim ignorance any longer.

The NBA, which is the safest of the major sports, has risen dramatically in popularity, plenty in reason because parents would rather their kids play basketball than football or hockey.

Reactions: CascadiaPuck

Rehabguy

Oct 2, 2011
This is not suspension worthy, yes he was a little rough on the smaller guy, but players push at each other nearly every time they check. So any pushing motion is now suspend worthy? This is ridiculous. People get hurt this is a physical sport. No intent to injury. If he pushed him into the boards and he gets concussed on a legal that wouldn't be suspend worthy either. For the life of me I can't see how even got concussed on that play. But okay... Get out of the league kid if you're that weak.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
Even if his shoulder hits the ice first, the entire design of the move Matheson pulled is to slam his head. And it succeeded. Why die on the "ahem, his head didn't technically hit first" hill? What are you accomplishing other than annoying people who don't like dirty hits (which this was)? If Pettersson's head did hit first, what would that change? It wouldn't be any dirtier of a play because that easily could have happened.

So what's your angle? Do you go around correcting every technically imperfect statement or did you choose this one because you want it to be perceived as less dirty?
When that's pretty obviously your motive, nobody cares about a technicality, they're just going to see weaselly nitpicking and respond to that instead of giving you satisfaction about your semantic garbage.

So, correcting a wrong statement is nitpicking? Just like the first OP that stated that Matheson PUNCHED Pettersson from behind and in the head. Just getting the facts correct.

Reactions: RainingRats

BigGulpsEh

Feb 20, 2017
Quite a lot of defenseman get thoroughly embarrassed, even Norris winners lol, guess they're scrubs as well.

WHere did I say anything about scrubs?

I was responding to the poster saying matheson got beat. That’s downplaying it. Matheson was fully embarrassed flopping around and then got upset about it.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Have you watched the entire play? Do you think there was intent to injure or not?
I watched the entire thing. I don't because I've watched Matheson play his whole NHL career and he's not a dirty player, never has been. He's been beaten plenty of times and has never shown any malicious intent.

He physically overpowered someone and the result was unfortunate.

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
Hockey involves skill and physical play. Not all players are equal. There is certainly a physical element that you don't get to ignore to fit your argument. Peterson is objectively a small player/weak for his height.

Im not trying to ignore that fact.
****Pettersson is a weak for his height. You are completely right. Not denying it. ****

But what you don't get to ignore is that Matheson got embarrassed all over the ice on all the vancouver goals, Hence the fragile ego. Maybe he just isnt physically capable to keep up with Today's fast paced skillful nhl.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
that's it? please. buncha weenies. petterson is soft. paper soft. guess it's like the NFL protecting QBs. no touching allowed

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
"Here comes", I posted pretty reasonable positions in the last thread and was watching this game, but thanks for your input. Being a fan of Hischier doesn't mean I dislike or hate Pettersson as you seem to think, and it definitely doesn't impact my objectivity to a hit.

It's difficult to tell from any of the angles whether the side of his head actually slams into the ice, because he landed on his side and the net is obstructing the view a bit. It may have, but it's not required to give him a concussion, you can get one just from the whiplash of his head quickly moving and stopping. Either way, that isn't the point, his head wasn't "slammed into the ice" by Matheson as people keep claiming, he was thrown into the ice by him and it resulted in a head injury.
Yes thrown into ice is a dangerous play. Watch this again.

If this was on hischier you would sing a different tune.

goodgrimes

Apr 15, 2012
Wow, what a "hockey hit". Nothing unusual about this play. If only Pettersson weighed 10 pounds more... It would have protected him from this clean, run-of-the-mill shoulder-to-shoulder check.

Reactions: PassLikeA10YrOldBoy

Rehabguy

Oct 2, 2011
How can you suspend a player for this, yet allow players to throw fists at each other's faces as hard they possible can (at times with a knock out punch) and only give them a 5 minute penalty?

These are guys trying to hurt each other, but they only 5 minutes each.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Elias Pettersson - 176 lbs
Mitch Marner - 175 lbs
Nico Hischier - 175 lbs
Sebastian Aho - 172 lbs
Nikolaj Ehlers - 172 lbs
Johnny Gaudreau - 165 lbs

Tell me more about how the NHL isn’t a place for smaller, skilled players.

This could’ve happened to any number of smaller, skilled star players. The NHL needs to protect the players who make this game fun to watch.
It is worth noting, though, that Pettersson is 6'2", the tallest of the bunch here. He's extra skinny compared to these guys, because more of his weight is taken up by all the "not muscle" bits. Also, the taller you are, the less shifty, and the further you have to fall - tall and skinny is extra fragile IMO. He doesn't need to get huge, but adding some mass will help his durability.

With that being said, I do think this was an illegal play by Matheson (roughing), a clear intent to injure, and should be a suspension. It wasn't a run-of-the-mill hockey play, he was going after Pettersson trying to hurt him, I don't like seeing this stuff in the NHL. Even still, there's still a decent bit of nastiness like this in the NHL, and to be durable against it, Pettersson will have to bulk up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->