Matheson/Pettersson Incident | Matheson Receives Two Game Suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.

nucks88

Jan 8, 2012
The Left Coast
Plenty of Leafs fans agreed that it was dirty. Why are people like you focusing on those that didn't think it was dirty? Why does that describe our fanbase but not the people that thought it was dirty? Makes no sense, but whatever.
Buddy you are the one who used the one person cop-out, but I agree, what f***ing ever.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Buddy you are the one who used the one person cop-out, but I agree, what ****ing ever.
Yet you felt the need to reply by indicating that it was in fact a bunch of Leafs fans that felt that way, and that somehow justified that it's fine to assume that ALL Leafs fans feel that way. Got it.

News flash - every single fan base has differing opinions on a wide range of topics.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
No. I'm saying the result of that play would have been different to a stronger/heavier player, and there likely would have been no injury and no suspension. But it didn't, there was and there was. Sometimes **** happens. Sometimes in contact sports people get frustrated and hit with extra "umph". One thing you learn on the ice is that there's a difference between angry flare up hitting to hurt/ make a point, and sociopathic hitting to injure. This was the former that had an unfortunate result, (IMO largely because of Petterson's weight). The result was what it was, and Matheson has been punished for it.

He was attempting to injure. If you have a vulnerable player in a vulnerable position, it is your responsibility on the ice NOT to injure the player. Doesnt matter how much he weighs or what size he is. Doesnt matter what weight you are , you are still going down heavy into the ice in a vulnerable position. He could have hit Pettersson like he normally would have, and then on the slam , let up a bit and put Pettersson on his ass at a medium level. He literally took his chest and slammed with all his force because he wanted to INJURE Pettersson. The intent is clearly there, dont even try to argue it. Pettersson got injured because Matheson wanted him to be injured, not because Pettersson is too weak to play in the NHL. Otherwise, going by your argument, not a single player sub 170 pounds deserves to complain if they are hit illegally.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I'm interested to see how the league goes forward with this sort of play because it is not the first time we've seen it. This is the first time i recall it being suspended.
I think the league is heading to the right direction by looking at plays like this. I like that we are moving to the direction where players are being questioned for WHY are doing that hit/physical play. If the intent is not to separate the player from the puck but to hurt the player, then it has no place in the game. The thing of using physical game as an intimidation are long gone. You need to focus on the puck.

Matheson made a legit play and crushed Pettersson against the boards. He then proceeded to use additional physicality on him that was just not necessary in any way, was dangerous and caused and injury. This suspension is a good way of sending the message that even "small" things like this are not tolerable anymore.

Reactions: Mitch Tavares

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
What a joke. The Flyers gave Formenton a concussion with a dirty dirty crosscheck, and there was no suspension.

This is 100% because of Canucks fans outrage and Pettersson's pedigree as a high pick.
Maybe you should care more about the safety of your players. :dunno:

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
What a joke. The Flyers gave Formenton a concussion with a dirty dirty crosscheck, and there was no suspension.

This is 100% because of Canucks fans outrage and Pettersson's pedigree as a high pick.

What about the countless fans of other teams in this very thread who agree that it was greasy? Nucks sympathizers?!?

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007

Where's your evidence? Keyboard warriors throwing out baseless claims are hardly credible.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
No. I'm saying the result of that play would have been different to a stronger/heavier player, and there likely would have been no injury and no suspension. But it didn't, there was and there was. Sometimes **** happens. Sometimes in contact sports people get frustrated and hit with extra "umph". One thing you learn on the ice is that there's a difference between angry flare up hitting to hurt/ make a point, and sociopathic hitting to injure. This was the former that had an unfortunate result, (IMO largely because of Petterson's weight). The result was what it was, and Matheson has been punished for it.

Suspended someone because they did something wrong, not because they injured someone. This is how hitting will be removed from hockey

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'm letting emotions control what the play continued as and not Matheson, the actual player at hand? Ok. I was the one being schooled all night and that had nothing to reflect upon my frustration regarding this can-opener play? Ok. I better take the phone hearing instead of Matheson then. I wonder what my suspension will be? Thanks for the laugh though, I appreciate it. I mean it.

And yes, you can compare this play to slewfoots, when you play it as dirty as Matheson did. That's why he has a talk with the disciplinary board. You don't get it, the disciplinary board does. I'm glad it's the latter.

Yeah, you better go dream back about Scott Stevens cheap shots this minute, or the body slams through the glass, resulting in serious amounts of blood, without many minutes. Those were the days. I can also recommend watching clips where there where no seatbelts in cars. The real days. Also, when goalies didn't wear anything on their heads and still stood there like total idiots, in total disregard of their safety, because they didn't know any better.

Or how about the 1972 Summit Series, when the Canadians had an open hunting season on the Soviets and could break ankles without reprecussions? Those were the days. I could totally recommend you watching that on continous replay.

It's a concussion during a game.

At this point, they have no choice but to do phone hearings and what not when anything head related happens. You know, skirt the law suits by saying we did our "best"..."now"...

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Suspended someone because they did something wrong, not because they injured someone. This is how hitting will be removed from hockey

They did do something wrong LOL. That throw down was an illegal play. Unless if you are implying it was legal, otherwise you know nothing about hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad