Matheson/Pettersson Incident | Matheson Receives Two Game Suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Yes thrown into ice is a dangerous play. Watch this again.

If this was on hischier you would sing a different tune.

He wouldn't be able to do this to Hischier, you act like people didn't try and throw him last year because they did. He took tons of abuse last season.

You keep shifting your opinion, I never said it wasn't a dangerous play, it was. I said his head was not slammed into the ice.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
It’s suspension worthy because a) it was premeditated b) unnecessary throw down c) resulted in head injury

Reactions: Lilou

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
He wouldn't be able to do this to Hischier, you act like people didn't try and throw him last year because they did. He took tons of abuse last season.

You keep shifting your opinion, I never said it wasn't a dangerous play, it was. I said his head was not slammed into the ice.
His head was slammed into the ice

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario

In all fairness this probably wouldn't have happened to Hischier

But Hischier wouldn't have been able to dominate the way Petterson does either.
Give and Take.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Im not trying to ignore that fact.
****Pettersson is a weak for his height. You are completely right. Not denying it. ****

But what you don't get to ignore is that Matheson got embarrassed all over the ice on all the vancouver goals, Hence the fragile ego. Maybe he just isnt physically capable to keep up with Today's fast paced skillful nhl.
Matheson gets embarrassed enough that this shouldn't be some special occasion that throws him into a fit of rage. He's a young defender who struggles with consistency like many other young defenders. He's quite skilled too and is a phenomenal skater so it's not like he struggles with the play of the NHL all the time. You seem to think he's mentally weak. I have seen all his games and I disagree.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Small players get rocked all the time.

Here's Gaudreau getting hit by Komarov, who isn't even big himself.

Niether of those plays are comparable at all. The Panthers tried to hit EP straight up in open ice like that and can't b/c he avoids contact so well.

Niether of those were hitting/pinning (which alone was perfectly fine), then slamming a guy down with a can opener, to deliberately lay him out after the play had moved on.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
How can you suspend a player for this, yet allow players to throw fists at each other's faces as hard they possible can (at times with a knock out punch) and only give them a 5 minute penalty?
Fighting is a special case in the NHL, and always has been. Nothing about it really makes sense, but it's part of the history (and entertainment value) of the game, so it gets special treatment.

Also, there's some level of mutual agreement when it comes to fighting. If the other player doesn't accept a fight, and you sucker punch him anyways, that's a suspension, and often a big one. For example, Bertuzzi's "remainder of the regular season + playoffs" suspension for his brutal sucker punch on Steve Moore is one of the most severe suspensions the NHL has ever dolled out.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
I watched the entire thing. I don't because I've watched Matheson play his whole NHL career and he's not a dirty player, never has been. He's been beaten plenty of times and has never shown any malicious intent.

He physically overpowered someone and the result was unfortunate.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree because the intent couldn't have been more clear to me.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
This is a league that retroactively rewrites the rules to punish teams that work against the spirit of the CBA. How can the league not respond similarly when the safety of a star player is in question?

I don't know how people are not getting this. Pettersson will sell tickets and potentially generate 100's of millions of dollars in revenue for the league. Matheson will not. It should not matter if the rules have not been predefined for this incident. The NHL should concerned with protecting the health and safety of its star players.

Matheson showed complete disregard for the safety of a star player which resulted in a serious head injury. Hockey is not wrestling. This is absolutely not a hockey play and is not an assumed risk. In the real world outside the NHL this would be grounds for a lawsuit.

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
Matheson gets embarrassed enough that this shouldn't be some special occasion that throws him into a fit of rage. He's a young defender who struggles with consistency like many other young defenders. He's quite skilled too and is a phenomenal skater so it's not like he struggles with the play of the NHL all the time. You seem to think he's mentally weak. I have seen all his games and I disagree.

Well clearly he is, hence the fragile ago and exacting revenge because he knows he can't defend.
Nothing wrong with the hit, its just bush league.

There is plenty of d-man just like him, he wont be the last to be emasculated by a kid who looks 12 years old.

Mar 26, 2010
Wow, what a "hockey hit". Nothing unusual about this play. If only Pettersson weighed 10 pounds more... It would have protected him from this clean, run-of-the-mill shoulder-to-shoulder check.
Yup. Suck it up.

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
Matheson had better hope and pray that he is sent to the AHL before the rematch.

All the defenders of "traditional" hockey will be in luck when Matheson's physicality will be tested by some even less talented goon.

Reactions: EP40 AKA Lil Wayne

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Well clearly he is, hence the fragile ago and exacting revenge because he knows he can't defend.
Nothing wrong with the hit, its just bush league.

There is plenty of d-man just like him, he wont be the last to be emasculated by a kid who looks 12 years
The "revenge" here is a joke. He glided into the boards and gave him a firm check, EP is so weak he popped into the air, and like every other NHL d-man has from time to time, he followed through on the check. This wasn't some head hunting play, he didn't board him, the follow through barely touched EP too, it was a glancing shove with one arm. Not the horrific choke slam of his head directly into the ice you guys are making it out to be.

eviohh26

Dec 19, 2017
Victoria BC Canada
The "revenge" here is a joke. He glided into the boards and gave him a firm check, EP is so weak he popped into the air, and like every other NHL d-man has from time to time, he followed through on the check. This wasn't some head hunting play, he didn't board him, the follow through barely touched EP too, it was a glancing shove with one arm. Not the horrific choke slam of his head directly into the ice you guys are making it out to be.
LOL. you're on a roll my friend.

Reactions: sexydonut

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
This is a league that retroactively rewrites the rules to punish teams that work against the spirit of the CBA. How can the league not respond similarly when the safety of a star player is in question?

I don't know how people are not getting this. Pettersson will sell tickets and potentially generate 100's of millions of dollars in revenue for the league. Matheson will not. It should not matter if the rules have not been predefined for this incident. The NHL should concerned with protecting the health and safety of its star players.

Matheson showed complete disregard for the safety of a star player which resulted in a serious head injury. Hockey is not wrestling. This is absolutely not a hockey play and is not an assumed risk. In the real world outside the NHL this would be grounds for a lawsuit.

How is shoving a player to the ice not a hockey play. Its a violent sport. 99/100 Pettersson doesn't get hurt on that play. It was an awkward shove and he hit the ice just right to get an injury. You can't suspend players every a player on the opposing team gets hurt.

By definition every check is an attempt to take a player out of the play. Injuries happen sometimes.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Niether of those plays are comparable at all. The Panthers tried to hit EP straight up in open ice like that and can't b/c he avoids contact so well.

Niether of those were hitting/pinning (which alone was perfectly fine), then slamming a guy down with a can opener, to deliberately lay him out after the play had moved on.

Here's just highlights of Gaudreau getting wrecked in various ways.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
In all fairness this probably wouldn't have happened to Hischier

But Hischier wouldn't have been able to dominate the way Petterson does either.
Give and Take.

Let’s not turn this into a Pettersson vs. Hischier thread guys.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Garbage hit. I’m pleasantly surprised that they’re suspending the replacement level player whose name is escaping me.
Yes, the former first round pick who is signed to an 8 year deal and plays top 4 minutes. Your lack of knowledge of the game is showing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad