Prospect Info: Matej Pekar, C (OHL) Barrie Colts - Drafted 2018 (94 OA) , not qualified, signed AHL deal with Hartford

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Would be thrilled if he could be a Kadri type of player. Maybe not as many points but an emotional leader who drags his team into the battle. I know Kadri can be and has been a clown but he is an awesome player, and that’s probably absolute best case scenario for Pekar.

Yea, isn’t that half of 26 :laugh:
He did the math

He did the monster math

Ok I need to go to bed

Last edited:

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Good for Pekar. He has been producing while Byfield has been out injured as well.

we have had some good luck with Sudbury: Foligno, UPL, Pekar, Byfield:naughty:

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
4th round picks are incapable of busting. They almost all don’t make it.

In 2010 4 4th round picks played at least 100 games
In 2011 it was 5
In 2012 it was 6
In 2013 it was 6
In 2014 it was 5

He’s beating the odds if he ever makes it at all

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
Really hope this kid turns out to be one of those players that other teams fan bases say “whoa how did this guy fall thru the cracks” in the near future
Honestly, I'll be happy if he's just a passable complimentary player who can play a rat's game, which will likely be his meal ticket anyways. We should have enough pure skill guys to carry the offensive load, we just need our Paquette/Lemieux.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Anytime a 3-7 round pick legitimately makes and NHL lineup for years of plays it is a big win. They always have to work their butts of to get noticed and to force the organization to advance them. So when they do get to the NHL they are usually a bit older, have a more developed game, and work very hard all the time. They often make great 3rd/4th line players because of that work ethic if they don't have the shot to go higher. If we hit on a few of those we could stop doing deadline and offseason deals trading our bottom 6 for other teams bottom 6.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
Anytime a 3-7 round pick legitimately makes and NHL lineup for years of plays it is a big win. They always have to work their butts of to get noticed and to force the organization to advance them. So when they do get to the NHL they are usually a bit older, have a more developed game, and work very hard all the time. They often make great 3rd/4th line players because of that work ethic if they don't have the shot to go higher. If we hit on a few of those we could stop doing deadline and offseason deals trading our bottom 6 for other teams bottom 6.
Or they have a great shot and play w Eichel..

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia

In 2011 it was 5
In 2012 it was 6
In 2013 it was 6
In 2014 it was 5

Those numbers are higher than I expected but point taken

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019

In 2011 it was 5
In 2012 it was 6
In 2013 it was 6
In 2014 it was 5

Those numbers are higher than I expected but point taken

There are a bunch of different analysis showing the percentages for each round using some cut offs such as simply playing in the NHL to others using 50 or 100 game cutoffs. The problem I have with those is that if you add up the percentages they come up with in each round, they do not add up to way more than 100%, because they are not normalized against anything. There is one article that takes a different approach that get at the raw truth of it below.

From the draft to the NHL: A round-by-round look at the league's skaters and goalies - TheHockeyNews

What this says is that if you look at all the players playing on all the NHL teams, 6.8% of them were drafted in the 4th round. For reference, 40.5% are 1st rounders. So a 1st round pick is roughly worth six 4th round picks. This discussion can go deep into the rabbit hole.....but can really get to the heart of the true value exchanged in trades.

Reactions: k8prisoner

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
There are a bunch of different analysis showing the percentages for each round using some cut offs such as simply playing in the NHL to others using 50 or 100 game cutoffs. The problem I have with those is that if you add up the percentages they come up with in each round, they do not add up to way more than 100%, because they are not normalized against anything. There is one article that takes a different approach that get at the raw truth of it below.

From the draft to the NHL: A round-by-round look at the league's skaters and goalies - TheHockeyNews

What this says is that if you look at all the players playing on all the NHL teams, 6.8% of them were drafted in the 4th round. For reference, 40.5% are 1st rounders. So a 1st round pick is roughly worth six 4th round picks. This discussion can go deep into the rabbit hole.....but can really get to the heart of the true value exchanged in trades.

To add even more depth to that rabbit hole, I would expect it to be more likely for a top team to add value to their roster through late round picks. Why? Because teams that are consistently at the top of the league can afford to wait for players to develop. They can target specific talent and they can shelter them. Going back to the glory days of Detroit or the last decade of Pittsburg, those are teams that have solid foundation with a few players they know will carry the team for years to come. Therefor, they can look for grinders or whatever to play on a third or fourth line. Someone who only needs to be able to skate and forecheck is easier to find in the later rounds than a Zetterberg or Datsyuk. Or Olofsson. :)

sabregoat

Sep 22, 2005
Hamburg, NY
To add even more depth to that rabbit hole, I would expect it to be more likely for a top team to add value to their roster through late round picks. Why? Because teams that are consistently at the top of the league can afford to wait for players to develop. They can target specific talent and they can shelter them. Going back to the glory days of Detroit or the last decade of Pittsburg, those are teams that have solid foundation with a few players they know will carry the team for years to come. Therefor, they can look for grinders or whatever to play on a third or fourth line. Someone who only needs to be able to skate and forecheck is easier to find in the later rounds than a Zetterberg or Datsyuk. Or Olofsson. :)
This seems to be Bott's strategy as well. He is picking players that he will hold the rights to for a long time instead of from Canadian Juniors that they would have to sign in the near future when they are not developed enough.

Reactions: Wisent42

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

Being overweight grinding 'safe' picks is one of the few 'strategies' which negatively influence your draft outcomes. Successful NHL players are almost always offensive producers at lower levels. A simple strategy of picking the OHL or CHL forward with the highest point totals yields better results than allowing experts to muddle.

Look at Tampa for a case....

**Sunglasses**

in Point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad