Prospect Info: Matej Pekar, C (OHL) Barrie Colts - Drafted 2018 (94 OA) , not qualified, signed AHL deal with Hartford

p0nchik

Jul 24, 2021
I wonder if this kid can even make it at the AHL next season. I was duped after that hit and deke in rookie TC a couple of years ago!

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Wheeler has Pekar as the Sabres #20 prospect in his annual ranking of NHL prospect pools (Sabres are #1)

Wheeler’s 2022 NHL prospect pool rankings: No. 1 Buffalo Sabres – The Athletic

20. Matej Pekar, C/LW, 21 (Rochester Americans)
For a while, I thought Pekar might make a good bottom-six NHLer. He plays a pesky straight-lines game, he showed some offence at lower levels, he always seemed to be involved in the action, and he skates well enough (I think his energy makes him look like a better skater than he actually is though) But his small-area skills never took the next step, pulling him out of games and limiting his ability to play that thorny style of his at the pro level to date. I don’t really know where I stand on his ceiling at this point. He’s decently talented (more than his AHL point totals indicate, at least) and definitely a player opponents grow to dislike, but he hasn’t worked his way up the Americans roster. He’ll be 22 tomorrow, and he’s going to need to find ways to produce between now and this time next season to feature on this list next year. He also needs to get re-signed, and work his way back into the potential fourth-liner conversation (potential third-liner looks out of the question at this point).

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Where are we with this guy? Will he ever make it out of the minors?

He lost months due to a season-ending shoulder injury. He did not impress me much in the disturber/energy role prior to that, though he was supposedly trying to play through the shoulder thing. It seems like next season would be make or break for him getting another contract.

Reactions: joshjull

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
He lost months due to a season-ending shoulder injury. He did not impress me much in the disturber/energy role prior to that, though he was supposedly trying to play through the shoulder thing. It seems like next season would be make or break for him getting another contract.
Well, at least the Sabres got Dahlin and Samuelsson out of 2018. #1 was a no-brainer, but there were a lot of Samuelsson critics. You want every pick to count, but hitting regularly outside of the second round isn't easy.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Well, at least the Sabres got Dahlin and Samuelsson out of 2018. #1 was a no-brainer, but there were a lot of Samuelsson critics. You want every pick to count, but hitting regularly outside of the second round isn't easy.

Even if he can elevate to being a useful Amerk would be a plus. Not a ton of guys after him have worked out, but it does show the fanbase's unfulfilled desire to see someone with even a modicum of physical play in the nightly lineup.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Screenshot_20220719-084444_Instagram.jpg

don22

Jan 29, 2021
Remember that big hit he had on Dahlin in his for rookie minicamp? Who knew that would be the highlight of his career. This kid just never developed. I mean, we loaned him to Czechia team who then loaned him to the Czechia 2 league. Think about that for a second. Kulich was playing in the top Czechia league during his u17 season. I don't think the question is whether he can stick in the AHL, but whether he can stick in the top Czechia league.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Remember that big hit he had on Dahlin in his for rookie minicamp? Who knew that would be the highlight of his career. This kid just never developed. I mean, we loaned him to Czechia team who then loaned him to the Czechia 2 league. Think about that for a second. Kulich was playing in the top Czechia league during his u17 season. I don't think the question is whether he can stick in the AHL, but whether he can stick in the top Czechia league.

So because of COVID and no AHL, yes, he played 13 games in the top league and 9 in the 2nd division. He has all of 73 AHL games to his name and spent most of this year hampered by a shoulder issue that caused him to miss almost half of the season. There's nothing wrong if they let him continue to play to see if they can get something out of someone who was a 94th OA pick in his draft year. If they get something someday, fine. If not, it's another example of the unrequited feelings WNY hockey fans have for players who play a particular style of hockey, even if they aren't very good.

don22

Jan 29, 2021
So because of COVID and no AHL, yes, he played 13 games in the top league and 9 in the 2nd division. He has all of 73 AHL games to his name and spent most of this year hampered by a shoulder issue that caused him to miss almost half of the season. There's nothing wrong if they let him continue to play to see if they can get something out of someone who was a 94th OA pick in his draft year. If they get something someday, fine. If not, it's another example of the unrequited feelings WNY hockey fans have for players who play a particular style of hockey, even if they aren't very good.
Not, not because of any of those reasons. It's because he's bad. It's okay. Not every prospect is going to develop.

He's in his u22 season, he averaged .13 ppg. I get the injuries. They happen. You at least see a glimmer of light. I think the best we can hope Pekar becomes is a replacement level AHLer.

Look at Rousek. The kid has been hampered by injuries, but he showed flashes at camp, despite his .21 ppg.

We're not talking about a 19 year old kid fresh from Europe. Pekar is going into his u23 season. We would have seen some flashes by now. I don't believe in magic light switches.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Not, not because of any of those reasons. It's because he's bad. It's okay. Not every prospect is going to develop.

He's in his u22 season, he averaged .13 ppg. I get the injuries. They happen. You at least see a glimmer of light. I think the best we can hope Pekar becomes is a replacement level AHLer.

Look at Rousek. The kid has been hampered by injuries, but he showed flashes at camp, despite his .21 ppg.

We're not talking about a 19 year old kid fresh from Europe. Pekar is going into his u23 season. We would have seen some flashes by now. I don't believe in magic light switches.

Since he's never been a scoring talent, the idea that he's going to start scoring is not what I'm talking about. It's getting a useful player for a role. It seems more likely that his style and role aren't compatible with him remaining healthy enough to play them, at least thus far, and that's okay too. Yet trying to compare him to Kulich is an apples to oranges approach IMO.

don22

Jan 29, 2021
Since he's never been a scoring talent, the idea that he's going to start scoring is not what I'm talking about. It's getting a useful player for a role. It seems more likely that his style and role aren't compatible with him remaining healthy enough to play them, at least thus far, and that's okay too. Yet trying to compare him to Kulich is an apples to oranges approach IMO.
Look, I get it. Kaleta was in the NHL after all, but least Kaleta wasn't an absolute liability on the ice. Does Pekar bring the big hits and fight? He had one hit in training camp his rookie year, is that what we're banking on. How much of Pekar's playstyle is based off that versus reality?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Look, I get it. Kaleta was in the NHL after all, but least Kaleta wasn't an absolute liability on the ice. Does Pekar bring the big hits and fight? He had one hit in training camp his rookie year, is that what we're banking on. How much of Pekar's playstyle is based off that versus reality?

Scroll up the page and read what I have said about the guy previously. FFS.

Reactions: beerme1

don22

Jan 29, 2021
Scroll up the page and read what I have said about the guy previously. FFS.
FFS all I see are a lot of excuses. Honestly, I get your point. You think he can develop into a 4th liner. I don't. I've seen nothing to indicate he can play in the NHL, let a lone the AHL. Nothing more to say. on Pekar.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
FFS all I see are a lot of excuses. Honestly, I get your point. You think he can develop into a 4th liner. I don't. I've seen nothing to indicate he can play in the NHL, let a lone the AHL. Nothing more to say. on Pekar.

I posted above that he's likely in a make or break year for getting another contract, let alone having ever turned into anything. :eyeroll: Thanks for reiterating my own point to me as your own.

don22

Jan 29, 2021
I posted above that he's likely in a make or break year for getting another contract, let alone having ever turned into anything. :eyeroll: Thanks for reiterating my own point to me as your own.
I got it. FFS, I keep telling you that he has no shot. Make or break shot implies that it's like a 50-50 shot. This is what's known as a hail mary.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
I got it. FFS, I keep telling you that he has no shot. Make or break shot implies that it's like a 50-50 shot. This is what's known as a hail mary.
Why would we need to imply anything when it's clearly defined what someone's saying?

don22

Jan 29, 2021
Why would we need to imply anything when it's clearly defined what someone's saying?
We're really just getting into semantics at this point. I get that we are all a bit angry that Pekar hasn't shown anything to this point, but it happens quite a bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad