Prospect Info: Matej Pekar, C (OHL) Barrie Colts - Drafted 2018 (94 OA) , not qualified, signed AHL deal with Hartford

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I wonder how Pekar's been spending his offseason? He was 170lb when he was drafted in 2018. He's listed at 6'1" 185lb on hockeydb. He's probably close to 200lb now.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
His ceiling is likely Kaleta plus some offense. It's not like we'd be wasting a prospect by rushing him to 9 mins a night. We might lose larsson, girgs, lazar, simmonds etc. If he shows up to camp and competes whatever give him a slot on the roster at least he seems to have heart.

Reactions: VaporTrail

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
may need him with the all divisional play this year.

Going to need fighters or else our skilled players will get run over

Reactions: jc17

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Mike Harrington: The pest-to-pro transition continues for Sabres prospect Matej Pekar
Seth Appert:
"When I coached against him internationally after every time I stepped off the bench playing the Czech Republic, I hated him. And that's the best compliment I can give. I like the fact that now I get to have him. He is tenacious, he is relentless. He's an agitator and a pest by nature."
"The levels he played before last year, he's been able to outwill his problems, or outwill his decisions because his compete and skill and his will is so special. Last year, he got exposed for some of his bad habits and that made it difficult for him. And as he went through the year, his habits became better. He became more trustworthy. He earned more ice time. And then we started to see that agitator start to come back out of him again."

Reactions: Dingo44

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I hope he works out because I love having this type of player to watch on the Sabres. Larry was a bit of an agitator, but it was subtle and hard to follow on tv.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Appert also talks about Pekar's fight with Brett Gallant as a turning point.

"I think he's learned a good lesson, making sure you know who you're lining up against at all times in pro hockey. He fought one of the toughest guys in the American Hockey League. ... He already has respect from his teammates because of how hard he works but even earned more respect there. He also gained some confidence that you can step into that battle and survive and live to tell about it."

Pekar:
"At the time, I didn't know who he was. Obviously I think the boys told me after the game. You guys saw it didn't go the best for me. I just thought it was the right thing to do at the moment. At the time obviously I didn't really care who he was. I probably wouldn't care who he is now if it would happen again to be honest."

You can't play scared and be a winner. We've seen too much of that from the Sabres where they shy away from physical confrontations. I liked the way Cozens, Miller, and Thompson answered the bell last season. If the Sabres develop a backbone they'll be fun to watch.

Reactions: Chainshot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad