Sportsnet: Massive Layoffs coming. Bobcat's last show today...or not.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
What's your point? Lots of people make more money than they should. Making a lot of money doesn't mean he knew a lick about hockey. Good for him, he has had a successful career and worked hard to get where he did. Still an ass.
My point is :

He is no dummy. Even in his weakest area (hockey), he could still roll with the punches and provide insight. He oversaw wonderful sports discussion for 31 years and he will be missed.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
When management cuts, first thing they look at is salaries. The higher the salary, the bigger the target, the easier it is for you to be cut.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
My point is :

He is no dummy. Even in his weakest area (hockey), he could still roll with the punches and provide insight. He oversaw wonderful sports discussion for 31 years and he will be missed.
Eh. I'll give him this. He had a lot of good discussions with good guests (though his own input, I maintain, was useless). I liked him for baseball when I still watched, but that was back in the days of Wells, Rios and Doc. Long time ago.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Eh. I'll give him this. He had a lot of good discussions with good guests (though his own input, I maintain, was useless). I liked him for baseball when I still watched, but that was back in the days of Wells, Rios and Doc. Long time ago.
He also had a strong business background and, to me, business related talk is far more interesting than discussions about balls and strikes.

Anyway, to each their own.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
So they fired the only real talent they have at the entire Network and replaced him with someone who is annoying to listen to?

Maybe their revenue is so low because everyone and their grandmother knows to listen to TSN.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Hey look everyone we have another guy who needs to bring "demographics" into this

last time I checked we were talking about hockey being the #1 ticket in Toronto, not "demographics"

I'm talking about hockey... and somehow like so many others here, you interpret that into "demographics"

gotchya.

...Oh and by the way, you DID know that "middle-aged, Caucasian WOMEN and her children" watch hockey too, didn't you??

Lol. Keep fussing. Change is happening. I know it sucks.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Sportsnet and TSN also lost premier league soccer which was not their top programming but still filled a pretty big hole on the weekends in a slot where very little else exists.

TSN has beat Sportsnet around pretty good in almost all areas. Sportsnet would be in better shape if the Jays were passable but they are not. One of the worst teams they have ever had and its about to get worse for this year at the deadline.

I'm in the Bobcat over overdrive camp but i understand that Sportsnet need to make changes.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Bob has been so awful for so long now. He certainly has seemed unmotivated for, I wanna say, 14 or 15 years now? He used to be a must listen for me back then. Hes just collecting paycheques at this point. Tim and Sid have been terrible since they "left" the score. They're unwatchable. Also, who likes John Shannon? Am I missing something?
T &S were great when Uncut was around. Micallef has talent but he's too basketball centric for my liking.
Sid is like the kid in grade 6 that needs his face flattened but won't because his older grade 8 brother is there.

It will be interesting to see where Bob's buddies end up.

Bob and Brunt were fantastic in the early goings before Brunt checked out and moved.
Shannon is going to probably have a hockey-centric show during the year which will be terrible.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
When management cuts, first thing they look at is salaries. The higher the salary, the bigger the target, the easier it is for you to be cut.
That's a very narrow way to look at a problem.

What management does is look at a CBA (cost benefit analysis) before anything.

It's clear that OD has taken a substantial bite out of the PTS dominance that once was.
Sportsnet, being Sportsnet, have to tinker and try to reinvent the wheel just like every time they bring a new Program Director on at the Fan.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Sportsnet alienates the entire leafs fanbase by not even allowing us to enjoy the team this past season.

It's no surprise that they're bleeding.

Stop talking about offer sheets and cap issues in the middle of season. Actual hockey is going on. Absolutely pathetic management.

Reactions: beleaf101

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Lol. Keep fussing. Change is happening. I know it sucks.

Sorry to hear that it sucks for you. But keep your head up, things will get better. Don't worry, in time you'll learn to accept it

I feel for you man. Don't worry though, we're here to support you ;)

If you need anything... just let us know.

Now... off to the races!!!

Last edited:

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
He also had a strong business background and, to me, business related talk is far more interesting than discussions about balls and strikes.

Anyway, to each their own.

I think you’re in the minority these days. Overdrive is much more popular because of the entertainment factor. Talking about business puts most people to sleep these days.

I agree with others regarding his lack of sports knowledge (mainly hockey). It’s like he thinks he’s too big to do research and gain knowledge about the new game and current/upcoming players. I mean, he wasn’t really doing his job considering he couldn’t speak confidently about the primary sport in his market. Too much of an ego, and possibly just apathetic at this point in his career.

Reactions: 613Leafer

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016

He still had about 18 months on his contract, so the buyout can’t save that much.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I think you’re in the minority these days. Overdrive is much more popular because of the entertainment factor. Talking about business puts most people to sleep these days.

I agree with others regarding his lack of sports knowledge (mainly hockey). It’s like he thinks he’s too big to do research and gain knowledge about the new game and current/upcoming players. I mean, he wasn’t really doing his job considering he couldn’t speak confidently about the primary sport in his market.
It may also be a generational thing - each generation has their own favourite. For sports talk, he is my Johnny Carson.

Oh well... life will go on.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Every article I've read mentioned his salary and gave it as a reason for the firing so... there must be some cause and effect.

I get not renewing the contract, but it doesn’t take the liability off the books.

Nonetheless seems to be standard practice in media. Maybe they let him choose when to leave as a courtesy.

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
Who still listens to regular radio still. Give me Steve Kouleas and Matthew Barnaby on NHL radio over any of these Toronto centric bubble heads.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Who still listens to regular radio still. Give me Steve Kouleas and Matthew Barnaby on NHL radio over any of these Toronto centric bubble heads.
Is that where Steve Kouleas is? Nice to see he got a job. He is great!

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Why are people harping on the “he wasn’t knowledgeable on hockey” front?

Is that supposed to be some sort of hot take or attack? Listen to his own words, the guy said it at least 4 times per show.

His career was never in analyzing individual games or matches. He was never one to break down matchups or strategies.

His was a unique show that was not meant to go in depth into any specific game or sport.

Just a few friends sitting down over a cold drink talking sports.

That is specifically how he has described the show in the past.

Mondays and Fridays the audience called in and gave their opinions on whatever and he responded with his. The show was always less structured than others because it seemed like he showed up 5 minutes before 4 and glanced over some notes. Honestly seemed like he was reading the guest list for the first time while he was live on air.

My gripe with the guy stems from the Jays. When Shatkins took over, they did nothing but shed and have been lying through their teeth. The old Bob would acost that abhorrent behaviour, but this one just shilled for Rogers making excuses and whatnot.

That was the time I knew he was done.

Sadly, AM590 has nothing left to redeem itself. Tim and Sid are irritating with the horns and the over the top hot takes.

Brady was good, but I don’t even know if he’s still on the air there.

Blair has some ok segments, but I have not searched for his podcast and don’t feel like I’m missing out.

TSN has Overdrive and Dan Patrick. All their other shows suck just as much as 590.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I get not renewing the contract, but it doesn’t take the liability off the books.

Nonetheless seems to be standard practice in media. Maybe they let him choose when to leave as a courtesy.
Maybe he was looked upon as an employee rather than a contracted guy. Si if rogers laid him off they may have owed him a year or more severance anyway. this way they know at the end of the contract they arent obligated for anymore.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Disappointed that in today day its OK for people to take enjoyment out other peoples misfortune. I get that you may not like the guys personality but JC people the guy lost his lively hood. You'd think the guy was a step below Hitler, the way some of you talk about him.

I guess ethics and compassion is not a thing in today's day? It's OK to set a higher standard for yourself people than a pitch fork mob mentality.

Reactions: JerseyMike34

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Man there are some very slanted views on what each show is, mainly from the PTS crowd trying to pump that show up to be better or higher brow than it was.

In terms of overdrive not being great at other sports, PTS isn't either and unlike Mccown and many of his co-hosts, I think Overdrive does a decent job of realizing this. And really if I want an in-depth view on specific sports I have podcasts for those sports that blow PTS out of the water. I listened to both and can't say there is a difference when it comes to other sports for either in terms of quality of discussion.

In terms of the PHd versus juvenile nonsense, what I will say is listening to Overdrive is a hell of a lot more fun. There also is a lot more things that I look forward to, Gerry's, Ray, on Overdrive than PTS. I used to love the round table and a year ago would have had that above anything Overdrive, or anyone else did, but the past year if has become awful. They focus way too much on Bobs stupid tangents, have become way too much homers when it comes to the Raptors and Jays and the overall quality has really dropped, like the show in general.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad