Sportsnet: Massive Layoffs coming. Bobcat's last show today...or not.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Surprising considering Bob signed a multi-year deal. Didn't realize he gets paid $1M per year, damn. Good for him. Must've saved alot over the years. Wonder who else gets axed.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
He is a beauty when he gets really interested in a convo
You're absolutely right.

The thing is, as a host if you're not motivated and engaged - neither is your audience and that's been the case for a very long time.

Bob was a great interviewer when he didn't lob up softballs to his high up friends/interviewees.

8816 others

Dec 3, 2012
Bowen Island, BC
Who the fook is bobcat?
xAGtXs9.gif

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I won't revel completely about Sportsnet struggling as the same parent company owns the Jays and a big chunk of MLSE. This could trickle down.

The conventional media Armageddon is coming soon. Conventional advertising is being circumvented/ignored/muted.

After this, internet/social media is next with its Ponzi scheme of dozens of multiplying faux clicks per page visit and directed advertising that there's little proof actually works.

Reactions: Finnish your Czech

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Further proof that the NHL deal Rogers signed was a massive overpayment.

This is absolutely a part of it. They took it on the chin in a big way with that deal. I don't even think they are going to come close to breaking even. The NHL will be shy 2-3billion easily the next time this comes up.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I won't revel completely about Sportsnet struggling as the same parent company owns the Jays and a big chunk of MLSE. This could trickle down.

The conventional media Armageddon is coming soon. Conventional advertising is being circumvented/ignored/muted.

After this, internet/social media is next with its Ponzi scheme of dozens of multiplying faux clicks per page visit and directed advertising that there's little proof actually works.

The media deal was also a disaster and at the same time is part of why the cap is where it is. The next deal will not be so NHL friendly from Canada and that ultimately will be taking a bite out of cap etc. Basically, they need multiple NHL cups in a row to make up the difference.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
The media deal was also a disaster and at the same time is part of why the cap is where it is. The next deal will not be so NHL friendly from Canada and that ultimately will be taking a bite out of cap etc. Basically, they need multiple NHL cups in a row to make up the difference.
Negative.

The next American TV deal will have much bigger implications on the cap.

Reactions: Hellraising Senator

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Are you really surprised? Rogers took a huge kick in the teeth in the NHL playoff numbers this year. Toronto tuned out. There are lots of changes coming. Like someone said above they paid way too much and TV results sucked.

and Bobcat has been overwhelmed by Overdrive. He got his lunch fed to him.

Reactions: Keanu Reeves

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
It is. Rogers around 200M per and Comcast around 160M per. Although like always Bettman keeps promising the motherload US deal with ABC/ESPN. All I ever hear for 25 years is it is coming.

I may be wrong but, I think it's 200m/y for the NBC deal and about 400m/y for Rogers. NBC has a 10y deal and Rogers 12. I may have the numbers jumbled though. Basically, 2b vs 5b

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I may be wrong but, I think it's 200m/y for the NBC deal and about 400m/y for Rogers. NBC has a 10y deal and Rogers 12. I may have the numbers jumbled though. Basically, 2b vs 5b
You are probably right the numbers I wrote Kipper told me at a gthl rink a couple years back. He probably has it wrong as usual. He was bragging about how Canada had better deal. All I know is when I am in the States I can never find Versus and local NBCSN stations anywhere. No one can ever find it for me either whether at hotel or in a bar. I have to always find a heavy duty sports bar and then beg for them to throw a game on.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
You are probably right the numbers I wrote Kipper told me at a gthl rink a couple years back. He probably has it wrong as usual. He was bragging about how Canada had better deal. All I know is when I am in the States I can never find Versus and local NBCSN stations anywhere. No one can ever find it for me either whether at hotel or in a bar. I have to always find a heavy duty sports bar and then beg for them to throw a game on.

I hear ya. It's not looking good at all.

NHL, Rogers announce landmark 12-year deal
"The 12-year agreement, announced jointly by the NHL and Rogers in a Tuesday morning press conference, is for $5.232 billion (Canadian). It's the largest media rights deal in NHL history and one of the largest media rights deals in Canadian history. It is also Canada's largest sports-media rights agreement."

NHL, NBC sign record-setting 10-year TV deal
"NBC Sports Group will pay about $200 million annually, for the length of the contract, reports SportsBusiness Daily."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad