Sportsnet: Massive Layoffs coming. Bobcat's last show today...or not.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Disappointed that in today day its OK for people to take enjoyment out other peoples misfortune. I get that you may not like the guys personality but JC people the guy lost his lively hood. You'd think the guy was a step below Hitler, the way some of you talk about him.

I guess ethics and compassion is not a thing in today's day? It's OK to set a higher standard for yourself people than a pitch fork mob mentality.
It's the same here. Say the wrong thing and people go for the jugular - civil discussion be damned. It's a shame.

Reactions: Bluelines

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Disappointed that in today day its OK for people to take enjoyment out other peoples misfortune. I get that you may not like the guys personality but JC people the guy lost his lively hood. You'd think the guy was a step below Hitler, the way some of you talk about him.

I guess ethics and compassion is not a thing in today's day? It's OK to set a higher standard for yourself people than a pitch fork mob mentality.

I'll say this in defense of his detractors: the guy made a lavish living for over 3 decades making public judgments about other people himself. I think he can handle it.

My criticism of the guy is that his entire act was the parlor trick of an individual long since disinterested in sports of all flavours pretending to have deep discussions about the sports. He'd expertly concoct a discussion over an ancillary issue that required zero knowledge of a particular sport. Nothing better than a suspension, an arrest, a public flub, a labor dispute, a rules controversy, etc. This way his decades long disinterest in hockey, football and baseball (and pro basketball) were seldom exposed.

Last edited:

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
For the term of his contract.

I don't know about you but if I lost my job I would be devastated, I love the people I work with and the company I work for.

Have you ever worked as a contractor?

I can assure you from personal experience, if you do that you develop a different mindset towards work.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Have you ever worked as a contractor?

I can assure you from personal experience, if you do that you develop a different mindset towards work.

That response supports what I originally said.

Do people not build relationships at the work place anymore?

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
That response supports what I originally said.

No, it doesn't.

but do carry on pretending a rich dude on contract, who will paid it's full value over the next 18 months whatever he chooses to do(most likely working for some other network or station), is worthy of our pity because his client chose not to continue/extend.

good grief.

Reactions: jasonleaffan

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
No, it doesn't.

but do carry on pretending a rich dude on contract, who will paid it's full value over the next 18 months whatever he chooses to do(most likely working for some other network or station), is worthy of our pity because his client chose not to continue/extend.

good grief.

Like I said your callous response supports my original post.

Hey if you want to be that guy who acts without any compassion, fill your boots. There is a difference between being compassionate and actually taking enjoyment out of difficult situation for another person.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
You're right, but I think in the long run (15-20 years) basketball will just be a fad. Either soccer or cricket will end up winning
Haha! Good response. We all want things to change in a way that we like and when it starts going in the way that we like we feel great and we think "we'll live happily ever after" now. Nope. It will change again.

Reactions: binop7

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010

Sorry I’m not shedding tears for a guy that makes a million bucks a year and will continue to the next couple years doing nothing. He also has other business ventures (wine industry I believe) so I’m sure losing his job at the fan won’t hurt him. My god the guy is 67 years old so I’m sure he was going to retire anyway.

The fact is he’s in the entertainment business, and if you’re not entertaining people anymore you’re looked at as disposable.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Sorry I’m not shedding tears for a guy that makes a million bucks a year and will continue to the next couple years doing nothing. He also has other business ventures (wine industry I believe) so I’m sure losing his job at the fan won’t hurt him. My god the guy is 67 years old so I’m sure he was going to retire anyway.

The fact is he’s in the entertainment business, and if you’re not entertaining people anymore you’re looked at as disposable.

Are you taking enjoyment out of his dismissal?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
You're right, but I think in the long run (15-20 years) basketball will just be a fad. Either soccer or cricket will end up winning

I sure hope you are being sarcastic.

LOL, I guess, you never been to an inter city, those cricket games are on every corner.. ;)

Reactions: binop7

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Not at all. Although i’m not a fan of his so I’m interested to see who will replace him and might actually listen more to the fan on my drive home.

That is my point then, there are some posters that are actually joy full at his dismissal. I was no fan of his either, I would change the channel when his show came on because I thought he took pleasure out of being a sour old man. At the same time, you can dislike a persons show but have the decency to not take pleasure when that person goes through a life changing event. People like to focus on the money he was making, like money is a cure all for anything bad in your life. I've been in both situations, KD/ Instant Ramen Noodles every lunch and supper poor and financially fortunate, and I can tell you money is not the cure all some people like to make it out to be.

At the end of the day a guy lost his job.

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
I'll say this in defense of his detractors: the guy made a lavish living for over 3 decades making public judgments about other people himself. I think he can handle it.

My criticism of the guy is that his entire act was the parlor trick of an individual long since disinterested in sports of all flavours pretending to have deep discussions about the sports. He'd expertly concoct a discussion over an ancillary issue that required zero knowledge of a particular sport. Nothing better than a suspension, an arrest, a public flub, a labor dispute, a rules controversy, etc. This way his decades long disinterest in hockey, football and baseball (and pro basketball) were seldom exposed.

Are you taking enjoyment out of his dismissal?

I am, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

He was arrogant, rude, dismissive and condescending to a ton of people. And then he got lazy and started mailing it in half the time.

What goes around? Comes around.

He's 67 - retirement age for most - and he's still getting paid lavishly for the next 18 months.

He bought Stoney Ridge Winery, and pissed off most of the locals by dismissing their lack of business and marketing knowledge. Now he's being sued by Mike Weir for stiffing him on a deal they made.

No tears from me. I've never liked his schtick.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
In my view he was past his expiry date. His interviews were good though. But his day to day shtick was always boring. and baseball and golf and betting are not my favs so i kinda tuned him out when another option became available that was hockey focused. don't forget for many years he was the only show in town so it will always have a following based on history.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
also think with right hockey guy and right banter guy PTS could make a come back. ODOG not my kinda hockey guy.
Former pro player not the right hockey guy?

Former 40 goal scorer who went through some of the worst things people go through in his career - death of family, anxiety and fear of flying which is pivotal to his career, leaving family behind at 18 to move to a new country in a small market that had a pathetically low following, etc.

He’s the opposite of classic broadcast personalities- honest, unfiltered, quick to reaction, deeply experienced in the subject matter. I like that.

I disagree with the guy often and that’s great too.

As for Bobcat.

I don’t understand the envy people feel for others’ financial situations.
What does it matter how much he earns or has in the bank?
He just lost his job, and from his Twitter feed, it sounds like it wasn’t his decision as he’s not ready to shut up yet.

I don’t care how much he was paid, his life just changed - good or bad - and not by his doing.

And are people really ready to side with poor Rogers and their lower than expected profit margins that were results of their own brutally abysmal decisions? Decisions that the guy being axed was adamantly against.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Former pro player not the right hockey guy?

Former 40 goal scorer who went through some of the worst things people go through in his career - death of family, anxiety and fear of flying which is pivotal to his career, leaving family behind at 18 to move to a new country in a small market that had a pathetically low following, etc.

He’s the opposite of classic broadcast personalities- honest, unfiltered, quick to reaction, deeply experienced in the subject matter. I like that.

I disagree with the guy often and that’s great too.

As for Bobcat.

I don’t understand the envy people feel for others’ financial situations.
What does it matter how much he earns or has in the bank?
He just lost his job, and from his Twitter feed, it sounds like it wasn’t his decision as he’s not ready to shut up yet.

I don’t care how much he was paid, his life just changed - good or bad - and not by his doing.

And are people really ready to side with poor Rogers and their lower than expected profit margins that were results of their own brutally abysmal decisions? Decisions that the guy being axed was adamantly against.
I don't have anything against him he was a flaky shooter boy who knew how to put the biscuit in the basket. I'd rather have a hard *ss defender with that kinda take for me. But to each his own. It depends on how you relate. Interesting to see a show with one of each kind.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
always figured he was a Canadian but he's a Yank

not going to miss the sunglasses nor his use of the word cockamanie incessantly, but his opinions were occasionally entertaining

Heisen

Mar 27, 2019
Best analogy I can fit with Overdrive.... it's like those plastic little toys you hang over a baby's crib to make them giggle instead of cry.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior

uh you do know Bobcat not so many years ago wrote a really interesting book about hockey. I can tell you didn't listen to his show very closely at all, yeah his nasty schtick was sometimes over the top, but there was no end to the list of people wanting to go on air with him, by either phone or live. After The Bettman went all teen-age girl and walked off the show because Bob didn't let him spew the propaganda and wasn't going to do a puff piece like most other shows, it was Bettman who who came crawling back and they are actually friendly now.

he grew up a Leafs fan and only lost his taste for the sport because of the dirty business perpetrated by guy's like Ballard, Eagleson and Goodenough, and the way the game went in the 70's, not to mention the reign of The Bettman and his desire to acquire the fabled US TV Deal. McCown still attends Leafs games because he does like the game, he is also a huge BlueJays and Raptors fan, but he has zero time for soccer.

that said the guy knows more about the business side of the leagues then most of the media here or in the states. Unlike other media guys Bob never pretends he knows better then the guy's running things or plays GM to the listeners, he leaves that to the lesser light's.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
uh you do know Bobcat not so many years ago wrote a really interesting book about hockey. I can tell you didn't listen to his show very closely at all, yeah his nasty schtick was sometimes over the top, but there was no end to the list of people wanting to go on air with him, by either phone or live. After The Bettman went all teen-age girl and walked off the show because Bob didn't let him spew the propaganda and wasn't going to do a puff piece like most other shows, it was Bettman who who came crawling back and they are actually friendly now.

he grew up a Leafs fan and only lost his taste for the sport because of the dirty business perpetrated by guy's like Ballard, Eagleson and Goodenough, and the way the game went in the 70's, not to mention the reign of The Bettman and his desire to acquire the fabled US TV Deal. McCown still attends Leafs games because he does like the game, he is also a huge BlueJays and Raptors fan, but he has zero time for soccer.

that said the guy knows more about the business side of the leagues then most of the media here or in the states. Unlike other media guys Bob never pretends he knows better then the guy's running things or plays GM to the listeners, he leaves that to the lesser light's.

I've listened to an insane number of hours of Bob McCown since the late 1980's. I've got an entire decade of 1 to 1 1/2 hour afternoon (and morning) commutes in the 1990's listening to McCown. I've heard him pimping boat cruises, betting sites, UNLV basketball, literally phoning in the show from Las Vegas, interacting with cringy improv characters, being unable to maintain cordial relationships with interesting sports people of all stripes, etc.

Yes, I've only occasionally listened to him is the past 15 years because it's the 2000's and radio is yesterday's news.

He ALWAYS goes to the business angle of sports because he knows nothing about the actual sports. He seldom knows the names of the non-star players. He seldom can relay a detail about any particular game. Few of his listeners have the knowledge of the business of sports (understandably) so he can fake authority on the subject. It's a parlor trick that I guess many have fallen for.

The most memorable bad relationship to me was with Cito Gaston who he repeatedly trashed as a lucky mediocre lineup filler who was handed a winning team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad