Sportsnet: Massive Layoffs coming. Bobcat's last show today...or not.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
For the term of his contract.

I don't know about you but if I lost my job I would be devastated, I love the people I work with and the company I work for.
Depends on your age pretty sure bobcat is over 65, some people like to eventually retire

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
He lost me back in the day when him and Damien Cox used to rip Pat Quinn apart day after day and it was mostly lies. I remember when Eddie Belfour had a slow start after joining the Leafs and McGown's exact words were "Pat Quinn's tenure as GM of the Maple Leafs has been marked by disaster after disaster." This was after leading the team to the conference finals for the 2nd time in 4 years (he was only coach the first time). Then Belfour went on to be the best goalie the Leafs have ever had in my lifetime. McGown wasn't just a jerk, he was usually clueless about hockey. He was also a suck as anyone who ever listened to his exchange with Doug McLean will attest.

Glad to see him pushed right out the door.

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
No chance this was cost cutting. Bob will get his money, there is no doubt. This was about offending the hockey pucks in the building.

WWB

Jun 30, 2010
Ontario
No chance this was cost cutting. Bob will get his money, there is no doubt. This was about offending the hockey pucks in the building.
I happen to think this has something to do with Bob hosting a raptors only show the night of game 7 of the Stanley cup finals...nobody else seems to be laid off yet.

Reactions: BigBlu

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I happen to think this has something to do with Bob hosting a raptors only show the night of game 7 of the Stanley cup finals...nobody else seems to be laid off yet.
I'm listening to all American channels on siriusxm for basketball because Canadian coverage is beyond shit.

ESPN radio
FS1
NBA radio

Shameful both stations can't cover the sport properly

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
That is my point then, there are some posters that are actually joy full at his dismissal. I was no fan of his either, I would change the channel when his show came on because I thought he took pleasure out of being a sour old man. At the same time, you can dislike a persons show but have the decency to not take pleasure when that person goes through a life changing event. People like to focus on the money he was making, like money is a cure all for anything bad in your life. I've been in both situations, KD/ Instant Ramen Noodles every lunch and supper poor and financially fortunate, and I can tell you money is not the cure all some people like to make it out to be.

At the end of the day a guy lost his job.
The point about money is that he's financially stable for the rest of his life and he's already 67 years old. This isn't a 30-40 year old person working a desk job who has a family to feed. This guy and his family are going to be more than fine , and if I recall correctly, he's involved in the wine business anyway. So, its not as if he doesn't have anything to fall back on. So it makes sense as to why people aren't crying because he lost his job, the guy will be fine lol

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
He lost me back in the day when him and Damien Cox used to rip Pat Quinn apart day after day and it was mostly lies. I remember when Eddie Belfour had a slow start after joining the Leafs and McGown's exact words were "Pat Quinn's tenure as GM of the Maple Leafs has been marked by disaster after disaster." This was after leading the team to the conference finals for the 2nd time in 4 years (he was only coach the first time). Then Belfour went on to be the best goalie the Leafs have ever had in my lifetime. McGown wasn't just a jerk, he was usually clueless about hockey. He was also a suck as anyone who ever listened to his exchange with Doug McLean will attest.

He was useless when it came to hockey, and enjoyed antagonizing Leafs fans. Smart guy, but when he admitted he didn't watch hockey, followed by pontifications about said game, you knew he was just mailing it in. On some topics he was astute, but he’s been lazy for years on the sport I love, so I rarely bothered.

Back in the day Bob was the man, then he got famous and fell in love with his schtick as the curmudgeon. Zzzzz.

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
He was useless when it came to hockey, and enjoyed antagonizing Leafs fans. Smart guy, but when he admitted he didn't watch hockey, followed by pontifications about said game, you knew he was just mailing it in. On some topics he was astute, but he’s been lazy for years on the sport I love, so I rarely bothered.

Back in the day Bob was the man, then he got famous and fell in love with his schtick as the curmudgeon. Zzzzz.
Pretty much. Well said.
Him and his old, elitist, friends at the round table sounded like a bunch of seniors yelling at a cloud. Out of touch. unrelatable.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Bob a blowhard much like Burke. Baseball was his only interest that much was obvious. I tuned him out 3 years ago just couldn't take the arrogance and obnoxiously know it all attitude.

Reactions: pucci2001

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
The point about money is that he's financially stable for the rest of his life and he's already 67 years old. This isn't a 30-40 year old person working a desk job who has a family to feed. This guy and his family are going to be more than fine , and if I recall correctly, he's involved in the wine business anyway. So, its not as if he doesn't have anything to fall back on. So it makes sense as to why people aren't crying because he lost his job, the guy will be fine lol

Just because you make more money does not mean you HAVE more money. The guy could be in hawk past his eyeballs. I make a good salary and TBH the banks love me, if I let them they would lend me so much money it would be a stupid risk to them but I wont cause I'm not stupid with my money. The vast majority of people live past their means , including people with a 7 figure salary.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Depends on your age pretty sure bobcat is over 65, some people like to eventually retire

Doesn't depend on your age at all, I know people in their early 40's that are ready to retire and I know people in their late 70's that will never retire.

Even when I hit my retirement savings target, I won't retire. I love my work.

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
why did he always wear sunglasses?

I always thought they were just part of his "act" which I hated, but some years ago I read that he has some sort of sensitivity to light, and the studio lights just gave him a headache.

So now he wears dark glasses indoors.

This may be the one thing I'll give him a pass on.....

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Doesn't depend on your age at all, I know people in their early 40's that are ready to retire and I know people in their late 70's that will never retire.

Even when I hit my retirement savings target, I won't retire. I love my work.
If I could make the same money i do now without going to work, i wouldn't go. But hey maybe that's just me. You probably love your job so much you'd do it 7 days a week. I know guys like you, I swear I think they'd work for free. Congrats.

Bobcat took a lot of time off I'm guessing there would be other things he'd rather do. So I wouldn't thi k he is crying or anything like that

Last edited:

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
If I could make the same money i do now without going to work, i wouldn't go. But hey maybe that's just me. You probably love your job so much you'd do it 7 days a week. I know guys like you, I swear I think they'd work for free. Congrats.

Bobcat took a lot of time off I'm guessing there would be other things he'd rather do. So I wouldn't thi k he is crying or anything like that

LOL I do do my job 7 days a week sometimes... :D

Reactions: BM14

the squared circle

Aug 3, 2005
Maple Leaf Gardens

I think McLean looked more foolish, if I am remembering it correctly. He resorted to calling McCowan "Mccoon" or something. It was so obvious McLean was doing it on purpose, and at the time I already didn't like McLean because he always seemed abrasive to me, and this made him look even worse.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
why did he always wear sunglasses?

Bob McCown hits sports broadcast milestones and is still going strong
It's not a gimmick!

It's funny because I'm sure a lot of people think that the sunglasses thing was a planned gimmick or me trying to look Hollywood. In fact they are a totally practical measure. When we started to simulcast the show on television, we began shooting in a room with a bunch of very bright lights. We were doing a week of testing before the TV broadcast actually started and on that first Monday I got the most brutal headache. The same thing happened on Tuesday and again on Wednesday. I honestly thought I might have a tumour and then on Thursday, I was driving into work and it happened to be a really sunny day, so I was wearing my sunglasses and I just forgot to take them off when we were filming and of course – no headache. I've been wearing them ever since. Most people who have achieved a level of recognition wear sunglasses to hide their identity. For me, if I want to go unnoticed, I take the glasses off.

Last edited:

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I think McLean looked more foolish, if I am remembering it correctly. He resorted to calling McCowan "Mccoon" or something. It was so obvious McLean was doing it on purpose, and at the time I already didn't like McLean because he always seemed abrasive to me, and this made him look even worse.

Sure but Bob badmouthed him all day and they were colleagues on FAN 590. Armstrong had to listen listen to his BS all day before finally getting a chance to respond. Plus, only one of them had a hissy fit saying "he'll never be on this show again as long as I sit in this chair. " Pretty pathetic if you ask me. Armstrong's retort was pretty tame really.

c1rcus

Jun 24, 2018
Sure but Bob badmouthed him all day and they were colleagues on FAN 590. Armstrong had to listen listen to his BS all day before finally getting a chance to respond. Plus, only one of them had a hissy fit saying "he'll never be on this show again as long as I sit in this chair. " Pretty pathetic if you ask me. Armstrong's retort was pretty tame really.

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
For those that say he was out of touch, what is in touch exactly? Those ridiculous 'comedy' sports talk shows like tim and sid, jay and Dan, whoever those dudes from good show are.... The show where sports takes s backseat to juvenile sound effects and poot attempts at being 'cool' or 'funny'?

I'll miss Bob. He's overplayed the crabby senior card for sure, but he had intelligent conversation with intelligent Sports people. Canadian sports radio is pretty much a write-off at this point.

Reactions: WWB

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad