Sportsnet: Massive Layoffs coming. Bobcat's last show today...or not.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I could be wrong but pretty sure PTS ratings are still higher than OD - ie. if the salaries were the same why would the highest rated show can their host?

Although OD is generally my pick, because it's seems much more Toronto-centric, and I find myself much more entertained in general, I will certainly miss the business angle PTS would provide. OD is usually pretty surface-level, whereas PTS would delve beneath the surface, which was very interesting at its best.
Well said.

Reactions: Northernguy10

kfox

Dec 23, 2011
With these layoffs Rogers has confirmed to the world they are losing money on hockey.
Now CBC needs to grow some balls and stand up to Rogers- No more broadcasting for free on CBC airwaves on Saturday nights. That arrangement was BS from the the get go. CBC needs to tell Rogers you need give up at least 1/3 of Saturday night advertising revenues or you can hit the road. You think you're losing money now? Lose CBC reach/viewers and the NHL deal becomes a complete disaster for Rogers. CBC has leverage--use it!

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
Laid off because of his $1M salary and cost cuts at Sportsnet.
Makes no sense....If PTS was ahead still in the latest ratings and you are struggling in the big picture, a million or two...or three...is a spit in the ocean.Why would you can the host of one of the entities that are apparently making you money.I think there was much more to this than money...Something doesn't add up.

Reactions: mrJT

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Makes no sense....If PTS was ahead still in the latest ratings and you are struggling in the big picture, a million or two...or three...is a spit in the ocean.Why would you can the host of one of the entities that are apparently making you money.I think there was much more to this than money...Something doesn't add up.
I posted a link to the ratings - 7 posts above.

Sportsnet was cutting costs because of the losses from the NHL package. When companies cut costs, the big salaries are usually the first to go.

As my dad always said (paraphrasing), "The bigger your salary, the bigger the target on your back".

kfox

Dec 23, 2011
Richard Deitsch may have an impressive 10 years of writing for SI on his resume, but as a co-host of PTS I found him a bore, a guy afraid to sound smarter than McCown. That's the problem with McCown, he insists everyone he works with be inferior to him. Brunt wouldn't comply, so bye-bye.

John Shannon, I think is GREAT, where does he end up now?
And what should we read into the fact that Shannon didn't say a word about McCown on twitter?

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Richard Deitsch may have an impressive 10 years of writing for SI on his resume, but as a co-host of PTS I found him a bore, a guy afraid to sound smarter than McCowan. That's the problem with McCowan, he insists everyone he works with be inferior to him. Brunt wouldn't comply, so bye-bye.
You definitely had to kiss the ring and it was embarrassing when McCown tried to talk hockey but I still enjoyed his show for decades.

Reactions: MsMeow

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Hopefully Tim and Sid along with everything else Sportsnet owns.

An unmotivated Bobcat is terrible and he's been like that for almost a decade.
Bob has been so awful for so long now. He certainly has seemed unmotivated for, I wanna say, 14 or 15 years now? He used to be a must listen for me back then. Hes just collecting paycheques at this point. Tim and Sid have been terrible since they "left" the score. They're unwatchable. Also, who likes John Shannon? Am I missing something?

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
How do you guys who still listen to AM radio deal with all the commercials? I used to love the Fan back years ago but ended up totally tuning it out due to the endless, nauseating commercials (Alarm Force?......f*** ME!)

To me that is the big problem they will be facing. People are living commercial free lives now and loving it.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
I don't listen to live radio, I download podcasts and listen to/from work. Having said that, I have to give the edge to Overdrive and it's not even close. They're younger, more relevant, more connected to the younger demographic and overall just more likeable.

I rarely laugh my ass off more than when I'm listening to O'Dog's rants...with Bob, I just wanted to fix that outdated hairstyle and slap the shades off his mug face.

Reactions: MsMeow

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
Really odd paradigm going on -- and wasn't it obvious from the start that the NHL broadcast rights deal was ridiculous??
Anyway, if I'm Bell,, and an equal owner of the Leafs and Raptors,, I'm gonna try to bully Rogers into even more spending -- going heavy into the luxury tax with the Raptors. You've got one partner with reserve dollars and the other partner who can't even afford to retain they're most recognizable talent. You already owe 5 Billion dollars, and you're to the point where you think saving a couple million bucks on your staff is going to help? Bell has the direct opportunity to try to break their biggest competitor and partner.

Last edited:

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Richard Deitsch may have an impressive 10 years of writing for SI on his resume, but as a co-host of PTS I found him a bore, a guy afraid to sound smarter than McCown. That's the problem with McCown, he insists everyone he works with be inferior to him. Brunt wouldn't comply, so bye-bye.

And what should we read into the fact that Shannon didn't say a word about McCown on twitter?

Brunt moved his family to Newfoundland and did not want to commute, he never stopped doing the show, he was just less frequent, you do know Bob even went to the rock and did the show there for a week, he and Brunt have been friends for 30 years

Bob asked his friends not to make a big deal about it, they ceded to his wishes, it's that simple

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I switched from Rogers to IPTV a while ago after getting raped for so many years. I have zero sympathy for their current financial plight. It couldn't happen to a better company.

I will be happy to listen to Bobcat wherever he ends up.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I switched from Rogers to IPTV a while ago after getting raped for so many years. I have zero sympathy for their current financial plight. It couldn't happen to a better company.

I will be happy to listen to Bobcat wherever he ends up.
Amen!

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
The choice between listening to :

a) Other Shows : Joe Smith's faceoff percentage is down 4% from last year and it's hurting their ability to convert on the power play.

b) Bob's Show : The financial situation of the Rays is untenable, but moving the Rays to Montreal won't work either because...

Is not much of a choice at all. "B" is far more interesting and I will listen, again, if Bob comes out of retirement.

Reactions: the squared circle

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Your ratings are down 40%, and you're making 4 times what a typical host makes, when your station is losing money, who are they gonna look at 1st to ax?

You can argue it might be a panic move but it's not surprising.

Reactions: ORRFForever

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Bobcat is a clown. Once admitted he doesn't even watch hockey, but always has an opinion. He's the walking embodiment of the comment section on Facebook hockey pages.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Bobcat is a clown. Once admitted he doesn't even watch hockey, but always has an opinion. He's the walking embodiment of the comment section on Facebook hockey pages.
He's the walking embodiment of the comment section on Facebook hockey pages who got paid $1,000,000 a year. Not sure many people here can say that.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
He's the walking embodiment of the comment section on Facebook hockey pages who got paid $1,000,000 a year. Not sure many people here can say that.
What's your point? Lots of people make more money than they should. Making a lot of money doesn't mean he knew a lick about hockey. Good for him, he has had a successful career and worked hard to get where he did. Still an ass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad