News Article: Martin Brodeur hopes Lundqvist can win 500 but its going to be tough

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Agreed. Marty had 15 years of play behind some all-star defense that excelled at trap hockey. Any goalie that was able to stay healthy during that era would be near marty's stats, especially playing on a team with a defensive squad run by Scott Stevens, Scott Nediermayer, and Bruce Driver...

This is at the same time my favorite, and least favorite view of Rangers fans in the world. To say things like this, it just epitomizes the hatred you can have for a single human.

It's so wrong.

Now, I will not say that Marty is the GOAT, because I think Hasek is. But to say things like "any goalie could have done what Marty did behind those defenses" is, in my opinion, quite wrong.

I don't think you can argue that Brodeur isn't a top 5 goalie of all-time. Again, I think I have him at #3 behind Hasek and Roy.

*Bob Richards*

This is at the same time my favorite, and least favorite view of Rangers fans in the world. To say things like this, it just epitomizes the hatred you can have for a single human.

It's so wrong.

Now, I will not say that Marty is the GOAT, because I think Hasek is. But to say things like "any goalie could have done what Marty did behind those defenses" is, in my opinion, quite wrong.

I don't think you can argue that Brodeur isn't a top 5 goalie of all-time. Again, I think I have him at #3 behind Hasek and Roy.

Agreed. Brodeur is one of my least favorite hockey players ever but to diminish his accomplishments is silly. Not to mention he also won two Vezina's a few years removed from any Niedermayer's or Stevens' on the team.

Riverdale

Jan 14, 2012
Winning the cup is a team accomplishment. While it would make Hank's resume look more impressive I don't think it is necessary when judging him as an individual athlete.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Does Dan Marino say he's a lesser quarterback because he hasn't won a championship?

Every day first thing in the morning when he wakes up and stands in front of the mirror.

"Loser! You never won anything!"

Mr Atoz*

I have no doubt that the last thing Brodeur would want is for Henrik to break his records.

I consider Brodeur significantly overrated. That doesn't mean I think he's average or bad, but overrated. He was in the perfect place at the perfect time. If not for that, he'd have few or none of these records. He's also been astoundingly healthy until the last two years. Virtually never missed a game due to injury. All fortunate circumstances that fell into his lap with no effort on his part. And there's no question that he played his worst in the playoffs. If you take a look at the ten or so worst playoff goals given up in big games in the last 20 or so years, he has three or four of them.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
It absolutely pains me to say anything nice about Fatso, especially with all the snide remarks and backhanded compliments he's thrown Hank's way over the years.

That said, you can't argue with Fatso's record. You don't even realize how amazing his numbers are until you stop and take a look at them. Holy cow.

Nyrvana

Aug 29, 2008
Bronx, NY
www.nyrvana.net
Does Dan Marino say he's a lesser quarterback because he hasn't won a championship?

“[T]here’s no doubt that that’s the one thing in my life and in sports, just feeling what that would be like,†Marino said. “There’s no doubt that there’s sometimes I think about that, even today. When I’m watching the Super Bowl, that’s going to be coming into my mind for sure. That’s just part of life, man. I never had that feeling, and that’s the feeling you want to have as a player as you’ve worked your whole life.â€

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/31/marino-still-thinks-about-not-winning-a-super-bowl/

Lesser quarterback, I don't know, but if he never got to the pinnacle of his sport how can you say he's the best ever.

To be in any discussion with Brodeur, Roy, Hasek, etc Henrik HAS to win multiple stanley cups and some vezinas, conn smythe, etc

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
“[T]here’s no doubt that that’s the one thing in my life and in sports, just feeling what that would be like,†Marino said. “There’s no doubt that there’s sometimes I think about that, even today. When I’m watching the Super Bowl, that’s going to be coming into my mind for sure. That’s just part of life, man. I never had that feeling, and that’s the feeling you want to have as a player as you’ve worked your whole life.â€

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/31/marino-still-thinks-about-not-winning-a-super-bowl/

Lesser quarterback, I don't know, but if he never got to the pinnacle of his sport how can you say he's the best ever.

To be in any discussion with Brodeur, Roy, Hasek, etc Henrik HAS to win multiple stanley cups and some vezinas, conn smythe, etc
Yes. I could have guess that he would have liked to win the Superbowl.

nikonsniper*

No, but a lot of other people do. If he had even one ring, he would be considered in the discussion for best ever, but since no highlight reel of him saying he is going to disney land, and he is forgotten when best QBs are talked about.

nikonsniper*

As long as Henrik remains relatively healthy, a pedestrian 30-win season (45% winning rate for 65 starts a year) puts him to 500 wins just with his current contract to go.

500 is very doable for him.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA

It's so wrong.

I don't hate him. I even used his equipment for most of my life, Marty.

Anyway, this guy says you're opinion could improve.

vanbiesbrouck2.jpg

Again, this assuming stats, and even more specifically-wins, are THE deciding factor in "who's the greatest". They aren't, IMO, skills competitions are more telling than wins/losses when asking which goalie is "better".

Last edited:

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Really difficult to compare goalies, but to be able to put Lundqvist in the same league as Brodeur he's got to win multiple championships.

Funny, he can't cross the red line.

Hasek never even won his cup technically.

Nyrvana

Aug 29, 2008
Bronx, NY
www.nyrvana.net
Funny, he can't cross the red line.

Hasek never even won his cup technically.

Hasek has two.

We aren't talking about a top 25 list or a top 15 or even a top 10. We are talking about being considered the greatest goaltender of all time. You can't in that conversation without a cup. Period.

You guys REALLY need to reevaluate. Hasek has SIX vezinas and two hart trophies. Brodeur has four vezinas and 3 stanley cups, Roy has 3 vezinas and 4 stanley cups. I love Hank, but he's not even close to these guys right now.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Hasek has two.

We aren't talking about a top 25 list or a top 15 or even a top 10. We are talking about being considered the greatest goaltender of all time. You can't in that conversation without a cup. Period.

You guys REALLY need to reevaluate. Hasek has SIX vezinas and two hart trophies. Brodeur has four vezinas and 3 stanley cups, Roy has 3 vezinas and 4 stanley cups. I love Hank, but he's not even close to these guys right now.

Cups* sry.

So you're saying these guys played on Stanley Cup TEAMS…not sure how that makes Henrik less than those guys…like I said, the CupS* Hasek won, he didn't even have to earn.

TEAM. Keyword.

Again, why Trophies and Stats aren't all telling. Why is this so hard to understand for some people to grasp? WE need to reevaluate? I guess.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Again:
vanbiesbrouck2.jpg

This is John Vanbiesbrouck. I remember watching all of his games in Jersey. He was better behind that same team than Brodeur was.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Osgood doesn't have a Conn Smythe

Nor should he.

Speaking of that…Roy won a Conn Smythe in the face of the fact that Brodeur lost that Finals for his team.

…Uhhh does Brodeur have a Conn Smythe? Yep, Hank's nowhere near the most valuable of his team. No way Hank doesn't win the Conn if ever we got to the Finals.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad