News Article: Martin Brodeur hopes Lundqvist can win 500 but its going to be tough

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
it was just a unsportmanship thing to do, has nothing to do with the hockey at all.

I feel like it's irrelevant to debate the point now, but you have to admit it takes a bit of innovation in order to invent something so useful, but yet so new, that they ban it immediately, mid-playoff series. After one use.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
I have trouble caring about Marty having more wins than anyone in NHL history when he also has more losses than anyone in NHL history.

He gets the games played award, though.

varanger94

Jan 11, 2011
Martin Brodeur hopes Lundqvist can win 500 but its going to be tough.

That's just mister Ego's way of reminding everyone that he won 500 games. He couldn't give a **** about Hank.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marc87

May 9, 2012
There's two sides to the same coin. At Saturday's game at The Rock, I'll have a Rangers fan in front of me saying Brodeur was only good because of his defense and the trap, and then a Rangers fan behind me saying the Devils would've sucked if it weren't for Brodeur all those years. Put yourself in our shoes and realize how heinous it is to deal with these kinds of fans all the time. It's like the drunk Flyers fan trashing a Penguins fan for getting low 1st round picks and then winning the Cup with them, petty and idiotic.

Anyway, where do I stand? I tend to agree more with the second point of view. Post-trap era and post-2005 lockout even, Brodeur was still doing his part in keeping very lackluster Devils teams at the top of the Eastern Conference. Coaches and systems changed and somehow he still put up numbers; coincidence? Even the 2012 playoff run, you kidding me? Brodeur got pulled in game 1 (or 2, don't remember) of round 1 vs. the Panthers and then was his 25 year old self again the rest of the way, and all while behind a "no-name defense", which was the running joke from the media prior to the Finals starting.

Clearly, this and last years are when he's "lost it". He's old, man, he's pretty much done. But take a step back and realize how ridiculous it is to say that any goalie could've done what he did at the time under his circumstances. Millions, literally, millions of people outside of Rangerstown disagree with you. You don't get Calder Trophies or 4 Vezinas or get selected for 4 Olympics for Team Canada just because "you're a product of a good system".

Put all personal things aside, and yes, his big ego aside as well. Don't be afraid to admit when a player is just GREAT. I think Lundqvist is great, and he'll probably reach 500.

EDIT: Speaking of the Devil. Marty's just been announced the starter tomorrow vs. the Rangers.

Last edited:

Marc87

May 9, 2012
Martin Brodeur hopes Lundqvist can win 500 but its going to be tough.

That's just mister Ego's way of reminding everyone that he won 500 games. He couldn't give a **** about Hank.

He's been spouting off on a lot of topics lately, including Lou Lamoriello and the way he does business. I'm personally not too happy with it and am used to our players being out of the media and keeping opinions to themselves. I just think this is his last stand. He's that guy in your office who's retiring next month. Good luck getting him to be quiet about it or focus on his work.

If Brodeur even decides to play next year, I don't think he'll see any offers. I think this is his last few weeks as a Devil no matter what.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad