News Article: Martin Brodeur hopes Lundqvist can win 500 but its going to be tough

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Do you guys think Brodeur can get to 700?

I was going to say yes, but I heard he cut out carbs.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
30 wins a season (like he has achieved every year) over the rest of his career and he's at 510. Not counting the rest of this season or any over/under 30 in the future. I think he will do it.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I'm continually baffled by the fact that Devils fans think "The Queen" is a clever nickname. It's like reading comments on articles where the least educated political posters use terms like 'Republitards' and 'Democraps'

This generation is destroying one of mankind's greatest achievements in the written word.

MisterUnspoken

Vintage
Nov 10, 2002
New York
I'm continually baffled by the fact that Devils fans think "The Queen" is a clever nickname. It's like reading comments on articles where the least educated political posters use terms like 'Republitards' and 'Democraps'

This generation is destroying one of mankind's greatest achievements in the written word.

Agreed with this post.

I find it more interesting why they would even compare these two as if Lundqvist is anywhere even close to Brodeur. He's not and will never be. As much as it pains me to say Brodeur is one of the best goalies to ever play the game. Lundqvist might reach top 10-15 goaltender all time if he has the same longevity (holding on too long).

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Hard to take what Brodeur say about Lundqvist very seriously. He's had a habit over the years of putting Henrik down. Definitely don't think there is any good will there.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
500 is possible but it all depends on whether or not he stays healthy and how long he plays...is he gonna play till he's 41 like marty? (new contract goes till he is 39).

figure he'd need to play another 7-8 years if you factor in that he'll slow down as he nears 40

there is really no point in comparing to brodeur's numbers cause they are almost gretzky-like in terms of how far ahead of everyone else he is...

but the article compares them at the same age, without factoring in that brodeur was a rookie at a younger age so he played more games up to that point...

hank won #300 in game 560, thru 560 games brodeur had 304 wins...ignoring the shootout factor, they were on virtually the same pace...the tough part is to match that again for the next 560 games, after 1132 games marty was at 625 wins. we hate the guy but that level of consistency over 20 years is amazing

LittleKev6D9

Unregistered User
Dec 14, 2011
Middletown
I was listening to WFAN the other day (I don't even know who was hosting cause Joe is covering Mike that week), but some guy called in and compared Lundqvist to Tony Romo and Brodeur to Eli. His logic was Lundqvist and Romo have all the sexy stats but can never win. Eli and Brodeur are underrated but all they do is win. They don't have great stats, but they have championships.

That's your classic Yankee/Devil/Giant fan tool that ruins NY sports fans for me. I mean fans of all 9 teams are generally bad, but that fan is the worst. A spoiled little brat, where all his teams win and feels entitled to success. We all know a person like that.

Ex Officer Friendly

Got Nothin To Say
Apr 27, 2012
New York, NY
I was listening to WFAN the other day (I don't even know who was hosting cause Joe is covering Mike that week), but some guy called in and compared Lundqvist to Tony Romo and Brodeur to Eli. His logic was Lundqvist and Romo have all the sexy stats but can never win. Eli and Brodeur are underrated but all they do is win. They don't have great stats, but they have championships.

That's your classic Yankee/Devil/Giant fan tool that ruins NY sports fans for me. I mean fans of all 9 teams are generally bad, but that fan is the worst. A spoiled little brat, where all his teams win and feels entitled to success. We all know a person like that.

Really? he thought that? where was he living? I have even seen people that are Rangers fans give him credit for what he has done and referred to Marty as the greatest ever but he's underrated lol

LittleKev6D9

Unregistered User
Dec 14, 2011
Middletown
Really? he thought that? where was he living? I have even seen people that are Rangers fans give him credit for what he has done and referred to Marty as the greatest ever but he's underrated lol

He's rated as one of the greatest (if not THE greatest) goalie to ever play the game. HOW MUCH HIGHER CAN YOU RATE HIM?

*Bob Richards*

I'd say Lundqvist is a lot more accomplished than Romo and calling Brodeur underrated makes me physically ill.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Next we're going to have Denis Potvin saying nice things about us. Great players but their animosity towards the Rangers organization has always been more than evident.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Agreed with this post.

I find it more interesting why they would even compare these two as if Lundqvist is anywhere even close to Brodeur. He's not and will never be. As much as it pains me to say Brodeur is one of the best goalies to ever play the game. Lundqvist might reach top 10-15 goaltender all time if he has the same longevity (holding on too long).

:shakehead This is the opposite of logic in my opinion. I guess it's a good thing my opinion doesn't really matter.

Seriously, the bolded is the motherload.

KreiMeARiver*

I just pray he gets 6 more wins to keep his streak of 30 every year alive.

(I don't count last year)

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
:shakehead This is the opposite of logic in my opinion. I guess it's a good thing my opinion doesn't really matter.

Seriously, the bolded is the motherload.

Not sure why saying Lundqvist could be a top 10-15 net-minder when he retires is so outside the realm of possibility.

He's already 28th in all-time wins. For all intents and purposes, he'll probably be slotted at 24th all time after this season. (Billy Smith is currently 24th with 305 wins). 11th in all-time GAA. 3rd in all-time save percentage. 27th in shutouts.

Rangers fans are so spoiled, and most of us don't even realize it.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Not sure why saying Lundqvist could be a top 10-15 net-minder when he retires is so outside the realm of possibility.

He's already 28th in all-time wins. For all intents and purposes, he'll probably be slotted at 24th all time after this season. (Billy Smith is currently 24th with 305 wins). 11th in all-time GAA. 3rd in all-time save percentage. 27th in shutouts.

Rangers fans are so spoiled, and most of us don't even realize it.

Quite simply because, unbelievably, the stats make him look worse than the video shows…and behind the team he did.

To say he wouldn't likely hit the top 5, top 3 is quite ridiculous to me, again- health permitting. He sure is on pace.

OK the unbolded is an even greater injustice toward proper analysis of this game.

"As if Lundqvist is anywhere even close to Brodeur. He's not and never will be." Come on.

Last edited:

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Quite simply because, unbelievably, the stats make him look worse than the video shows…and behind the team he did.

To say he wouldn't likely hit the top 5, top 3 is quite ridiculous to me, again- health permitting. He sure is on pace.

OK the unbolded is an even greater injustice toward proper analysis of this game.

"As if Lundqvist is anywhere even close to Brodeur. He's not and never will be." Come on.

Agreed. Marty had 15 years of play behind some all-star defense that excelled at trap hockey. Any goalie that was able to stay healthy during that era would be near marty's stats, especially playing on a team with a defensive squad run by Scott Stevens, Scott Nediermayer, and Bruce Driver...

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Agreed. Marty had 15 years of play behind some all-star defense that excelled at trap hockey. Any goalie that was able to stay healthy during that era would be near marty's stats, especially playing on a team with a defensive squad run by Scott Stevens, Scott Nediermayer, and Bruce Driver...
Bidj5O7CAAAmykF.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad