Marners start..

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
This is great... Now we have people breaking down his points. The lows people will stoop to try and discredit Marner.

At the end of the day the cream rises to the top and I can guarantee the best players in the league will all be near the top of the scoring leaders at season's end.

Yes it early, but I think people just want to see Marner and Matthews go to the next level/paradigm. Hovering around PPG for Marner and Matthews won’t be good enough. We operate in a league where Jonathan Huberdeau is a 90 point player and is rarely talked about. They are paid as top 10 players. Time for them to step up this season and hit 100 points or 1.2 ppg. It’s early yet and I’m happy but I think the standard should be around 1.2 ppg and people will be happy

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
For me it’s not about production from Marner. It’s more about having your $11 million players step up in games like this against Washington. Not light up Minnesota.

Reactions: Kurtz

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
This Washington game is a nice example of Mitch Marner as an impact player. In a game where you’re playing a former cup champion full of heavy, seasoned veterans who combine elite skill and “grit” what kind of impact is he making to generate offense, play a 200 foot game and otherwise sway things in favour of the Leafs? Same comment applies to Tavares and Matthews if you want to be fair.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
This Washington game is a nice example of Mitch Marner as an impact player. In a game where you’re playing a former cup champion full of heavy, seasoned veterans who combine elite skill and “grit” what kind of impact is he making to generate offense, play a 200 foot game and otherwise sway things in favour of the Leafs? Same comment applies to Tavares and Matthews if you want to be fair.
Fair but more often than not the latter 2 show up

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Fair but more often than not the latter 2 show up

I just don’t like the idea that every time Marner collects 1G 2A against a bottom feeder or lays an egg against a contender that we go back and forth on this.

He’s paid to have a big impact and thrive in big games and it hasn’t been impressive.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I just don’t like the idea that every time Marner collects 1G 2A against a bottom feeder or lays an egg against a contender that we go back and forth on this.

He’s paid to have a big impact and thrive in big games and it hasn’t been impressive.
Totally agree
He has to put the big boy pants on, its not all about being flashy against weaker opponents

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Totally agree
He has to put the big boy pants on, its not all about being flashy against weaker opponents

If he can make those junior dangles against John Carlson in a must win game, or Datsyuk his way to a series clinching goal, by all means. But when he plays like a timid child and gets knocked around and makes more money than all the opponents on the ice because of his “negotiating” that’s no good. We have beef.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Very fair.

Marner is still.one of my favorite Leafs but fact remains the expectations for him means that mediocre games are no longer acceptable. Demand to be paid like a top 5 winger in the league, and you have to perform like one.

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
Marner loves feasting on lesser competition (Columbus and Minn) but but pulls an invisible act.

He needs to get going....he and Freddie need to see the same psychologist.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I paid close attention to Marner this game and I was pretty fine with his performance. I'm not saying he created a lot and just wasn't rewarded. He didn't. But he moved well, he took the right decisions at the right time, and had a good process. There was just nothing there, the Caps killed space and passing lanes and Tavares in particular offered nothing for him to work with. Even those who can and should create magic can't do it out of thin air.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I paid close attention to Marner this game and I was pretty fine with his performance. I'm not saying he created a lot and just wasn't rewarded. He didn't. But he moved well, he took the right decisions at the right time, and had a good process. There was just nothing there, the Caps killed space and passing lanes and Tavares in particular offered nothing for him to work with. Even those who can and should create magic can't do it out of thin air.

Not to sound funny, but think you're trying too hard to be balanced and reasonable and it doesn't make sense.

This is exactly the kind of game Marner runs into a brick wall, just like the Minnesota game is where his stats line balloons. It's not coincidence or circumstance that he gets shut down, it's called a game plan.

And if he's going to thump his chest about being paid X, threaten offer sheets and pull those kind of stunts in the offseason, it's his job to create magic out of nothing. Get better at spacing out there, get more explosive in your skating, open up seams where there are none and find Tavares. Do something unexpected, pull a Brayden Point and drive to the net.

Otherwise, he's just a mercenary who can't deliver. And I think we can all agree we have no time for that.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
The contract is ****ing irrelevant at this point... it’s an overpay but there’s nothing that can be done about it now, all we can do is watch him flourish as a player. The first half of his second season was absolutely ghastly; he was a perimeter player who was hardly a threat 5 on 5. Midway through the year, a switch flicked and he looked like a top 5 winger in the league the rest of the season (including that playoff round against Boston). It’s only a matter of time before he gets back to that form.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Not to sound funny, but think you're trying too hard to be balanced and reasonable and it doesn't make sense.
You might be right, and I agree with your arguments.

I've been so frustrated with Marner this season for so many reasons, and last night he didn't show any of those. He just looked like a star player that was neutralized. It might be that I gave him too much leash due to that because, like you said, with his role and salary comes the expectation that he can break down structure that is keeping him under control.

Last edited:

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

Marner is paid to be a good player, he's not payed for this particular game and not this other particular game. You can criticize his contract without dreaming up weird nonsense.

Reactions: MyBudJT

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto
For me it’s not about production from Marner. It’s more about having your $11 million players step up in games like this against Washington. Not light up Minnesota.

Oh please... All of our top players laid an egg. Besides his big goal late Tavares was terrible too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad