Marners start..

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto
Not to sound funny, but think you're trying too hard to be balanced and reasonable and it doesn't make sense.

This is exactly the kind of game Marner runs into a brick wall, just like the Minnesota game is where his stats line balloons. It's not coincidence or circumstance that he gets shut down, it's called a game plan.

And if he's going to thump his chest about being paid X, threaten offer sheets and pull those kind of stunts in the offseason, it's his job to create magic out of nothing. Get better at spacing out there, get more explosive in your skating, open up seams where there are none and find Tavares. Do something unexpected, pull a Brayden Point and drive to the net.

Otherwise, he's just a mercenary who can't deliver. And I think we can all agree we have no time for that.

You do realize that all players in the league will go through rough stretches right?
The great Brayden Point hasn't done anything since his game against the Leafs.
It's you that is looking too hard into a small sample size. Come back at the halfway point of the season or very least the quarter way mark.

Edit: and even despite Marner's rough start he is still managing to lead the team in points. Tied for 2nd in goals too.

Last edited:

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto
A little context...
Last year Matthews had a 13 game stretch where he only scored 1 goal (8 assists) and was a -11. His lone goal was against a terrible Vancouver team.
Meanwhile despite Marner's poor start he is leading our team in scoring.

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto
@Stephen

Matthews has scored 86% of his goals this year against weak teams like OTT, CLS, MTL and MIN. Brick wall against recent cup champs in STL and WAS.
Better get rid of him! :sarcasm:

Reactions: MyBudJT

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
A little context...
Last year Matthews had a 13 game stretch where he only scored 1 goal (8 assists) and was a -11. His lone goal was against a terrible Vancouver team.

So you're happy with Marner's play? He's playing like the 2nd highest paid winger in the league?

Reactions: saffronleaf

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
Im looking to trade johnsson with how moore and mikheyev are looking.

If we continue to suck, fire babcock.

If we continue to suck even further......major shake up needed like trading marner. You can get the most for him. Getting paid A LOT. Only problem is finding someone who would take him at his price point.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Trading marner and his bloated contract is (and probably always will be) the leafs best solution to solving their defence and cap issues all in one move.
This team is seriously flawed. They lack defence and grit/toughness. They don’t have money to fix these issues unless they trade a big money contract.
We just need someone with the balls to do it. Maybe Shanahan steps in?

Reactions: Kurtz

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Im looking to trade johnsson with how moore and mikheyev are looking.

If we continue to suck, fire babcock.

If we continue to suck even further......major shake up needed like trading marner. You can get the most for him. Getting paid A LOT. Only problem is finding someone who would take him at his price point.
There was already offers for more money to him it's more finding the right trade for a player like him then teams that would be interested but I'm sure that's what you ment.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Go and read through my posts. I think I've made it very clear what my thoughts are.
No offense, but reading your posts in this thread makes it seem like you judge performance based largely on point production. You come back to it all the time, and I don't really think that point production is a good indicator of performance in a sample size this small. If Marner played like he has over an entire season with the same results, then it would be hard to look past that. In that case, we'd need to entertain the idea that perhaps the things that irk us doesn't preclude him from being a very effective player.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto
No offense, but reading your posts in this thread makes it seem like you judge performance based largely on point production. You come back to it all the time, and I don't really think that point production is a good indicator of performance in a sample size this small. If Marner played like he has over an entire season with the same results, then it would be hard to look past that. In that case, we'd need to entertain the idea that perhaps the things that irk us doesn't preclude him from being a very effective player.

No offense but I said Marner is off to a slow/poor start already. I mention the point production to point out that even despite that he is still leading the team in scoring. i.e He has still been productive

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Marner has been shooting way too often on the power play and on odd man rushes. He needs to accept the fact that he's not built to be a prolific goal scorer at this level and get back to what's made him an elite winger in the NHL - creating opportunities for his teammates.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
A little context...

To be fair, I dont think anyone would deny all good players go through rough patches. But that still doesnt make Marners recent play any less betyer.

He was dominant at 5v5 situations last year - and given his contract- hes expected to be dominant again. The fact hes racked up points on the pp helps mitigate things, but doesnt make the issue/problem go away though

Reactions: stickty111

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto
To be fair, I dont think anyone would deny all good players go through rough patches. But that still doesnt make Marners recent play any less betyer.

He was dominant at 5v5 situations last year - and given his contract- hes expected to be dominant again. The fact hes racked up points on the pp helps mitigate things, but doesnt make the issue/problem go away though

I never said he has been good enough. It's clear he is going through a rough patch... Like EVERY player in the league will have.
The difference here is we have people trying to discredit everything he does and are quick to have the pitchforks out soley because of his new contract.
We haven't even played 10% of the season yet. It's a joke.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
No offense but I said Marner is off to a slow/poor start already. I mention the point production to point out that even despite that he is still leading the team in scoring. i.e He has still been productive
Which is still important, I agree. One shouldn't confuse and equate bad play with bad results. Results are what's important, but it's hard to sustain them without good play. Hopefully he'll pull through the rough patch and play better as things normalize a bit.

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
You will lose that bet. If he had average PP numbers last year he easily exceeds 100 points

If my uncle had boobs he'd be my aunt. The fact is he didn't. He looks brutal this year! The weight of that contract is getting to him and now that JT is out he's only going to get worse. He had to squeeze that extra couple million now his team can't call any one up and will pay for it. Marner is a $11 million bum!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad